As I mentioned here, we are living in a time when old-fashioned, frugal, and eco have all come together in a strange conflagration of coolness.
These days, anything ‘handcrafted’, ‘natural’, ‘organic’, or ‘recycled’ stands head and shoulders above the brand-spanking-new, overly packaged, mass produced, emitting heaven-knows-what products, that traveled 3000 miles to your discount store shelf.
A simple handmade washcloth pattern, stitched with organic cotton thread, becomes something that would be rather expensive for your recipient to buy themselves–especially if they wanted to get it from a non-sweatshop, fair-trade, eco-responsible source.
So, here you go…
Body and Bath Basket: Any combination of the following simple gifts will bathe your gal-friends in luxury and for those with eco-leanings, the natural fibers and ingredients will make their green day.
- Homemade Lip Balm with beeswax beats the pants off Burt. Stored in a repurposed pimento jar, this gift will become a permanent purse resident.
- And while you have the ingredients out, make sure your friends’ tootsies are soft well before sandal season by whipping up a set of easy Homemade Lotion Bars.
- Or treat them to a daily invigorating facial with an Herbal Sugar Scrub.
- Top off the set with a handmade Crocheted or Knitted Washcloth
Bread, Butter, and Something Sweet: Everyone loves a big pile of carbs, but take away the guilt and add a pinch of health by using organic flours, fresh cream, and natural sugars.
- A rustic loaf of Irish Soda Bread in a soft flour sack towel is perfect paired with Fresh Homemade Butter.
- A little jar of homemade Maple Syrup, Preserves, or Jam will give a sweet touch to this thoughtful gift.
- Give the gift of homemade pie, their home that is, with a jar of Homemade Apple Pie Filling and printed recipe card. Though, TL’s recipe is so good they’ll probably just eat it with a spoon.
- Bake a Lemon Berry Pudding Cake for friends who can appreciate a touch of tart and a picture perfect presentation.
- Welsh Tarts are so pretty and different that just a few makes a sweet impression on your neighbors and children’s teachers.
But, truthfully, if you’re looking for something to send me–I just want one of these.