Homemade Sponge and Soap-saver

by Daisy on 10/28/2008

In the quest to rid my home of disposables, I was left with a sponge. I prefer sponges to washcloths when it comes to dishwashing, so I searched around on the net until I found a wonderful pattern for washable cotton sponges at Gherkin’s Bucket. So, if you do not crochet, and never wish to crochet, go to her etsy store and buy some.

For everyone else, I will loosely demonstrate (see her pattern for the numbers) how to create a two-step gift from the initial sponge pattern. First, it’s a soapsaver. And when the soap is gone…it’s a washable cotton sponge. MAGIC!

Gherkin’s Bucket’s Cotton Sponge Pattern in Pictures–Plus a Bar of Soap

1. Chain the sponge width you’re interested in and single crochet your way back.

2. Chain one and turn. Half double crochet across using only the front loops….

3. Turn and crochet back to the beginning using the back (now front to you) loops.

4. Join with a slip stitch. Chain one and turn.

5. This is where it gets a bit weird. And it’s the fuzziest picture. (yay.) Half-double crochet all the way around again using the WAY BACK loops of the previous row.

If you use the somewhat back loops, you get a one line scrubbing ridge on your sponge, but if you use the way back loops, you get what looks like a chain across the front, which is more scrubby. (I have such a command of crochet technical vocab, no? See pic in step 8 to see what I’m talking about.)

6. Join with a slip stitch.

7. Chain one and turn.

8. Repeat 5. and 6. until it looks like you could fit your bar of soap in there.

8. Drop in soap.

9. Chain one and single crochet across the top joining the WAY BACK loops of both sides, leaving that chain-ridge-thingy again.

10. Slip stitch across the top, fasten off, and pull in your ends.

WAA-LAA!

And when the soap’s all gone…..

WAA-LAA, washable cotton sponge!
(Not that you can tell from this pic, but trust me. It’s empty.)

Ivory

Garden4Life October 29, 2008 at 11:42 am

What a great idea. 🙂 This type of a project will be great for my daughter to crochet. She’s 14 and is looking to make small gifts for Christmas. Thanks!

DayPhoto October 29, 2008 at 3:11 pm

I love crochet dish clothes so this will fit right in to the collection.

Linda

Kelly from Almost Frugal October 29, 2008 at 9:07 pm

I’d like to include this in my round up http://almostfrugal.com/holidays-by-hand/ on November 18th.

One woman, three boys! October 30, 2008 at 4:03 am

Love this blog! My family and I live in a crowded Dallas suburb. I have two laying hens out back, make my own soap and put the clothes out to dry when weather permits and stuff like that. I’m going to try this Cotton sponge for sure. Any way of being self sufficient is a great idea! “)

Ivory Soap October 30, 2008 at 4:08 pm

Garden4life, I was just like your daughter. Always making little gifts for parents, friends, Santa and his elves….I’m glad you think she’ll like it.

Kelly, certainly! We’d love to be included.

One Woman, I feel exactly the same way. Hurray for self-sufficiency!

ELBSeattle June 10, 2009 at 7:47 am

‘Voila’
Not ‘waa-laa’
That isn’t a word.

ivorysoap76 June 10, 2009 at 12:37 pm

Vraiment.

December June 10, 2009 at 8:17 pm

This seems like another really great idea! I wish I could crochet!

Kate September 9, 2009 at 5:42 pm

I know this is an old post, but I wanted to say thanks for it! Also, if you make these out of jute twine–I think that’s what it’s called, the brown pokey stuff you find in the dollar hardware section–they make great scrubby sponges.
Thanks again, have a great day! 🙂

GardenWarrior September 14, 2009 at 1:46 pm

Do you have any recipes to make solid soap for dishwashing? I’m moving into a house with no dishwasher *gasp* and we don’t plan to install one for some time. These would be a great money saver if we could put soap that would be appropriate for washing dishes inside. And my boyfriend might even think it’s fun! (Hey, a girl can dream…) 😀 Also, how do you feel about finishing that edge and sewing a couple small, plastic snaps on it? That would make it reusable for the same purpose and wouldn’t be harsh on dishes like metal snaps, zippers, buttons, velcro, etc. Thanks!

Recer January 23, 2011 at 9:33 pm

love this website and the crafts. I learned to crochet from my grandmother. I love making practicle gifts to give my family and coworkers at Christmas and through out the year! Thank you so much for the pattern ideas. I do some of my own also but am always looking for new ones. Thanks again. Recer in Alabama