Milk Carton Keyboard Guard

by Daisy on 11/11/2008

I was going post about facecloths I crocheted this week, but instead of typing up pattern directions, I spent the morning “recycling” milk cartons into these:

Why? Because my kids can’t be on the computer for two seconds without hitting one of those keys that yanks them out of the program. “MOM, my game is gone! Come fix it!”

Drives me BANANAS.

In my house, you would think that esc, alt, ctrl, and that window thingy are the only keys on the board. But, with my handy-dandy, ugly carton blocks, the toddler can keep banging away at Fisher Price Peek-A-Boo without me hearing, “Mama, it’s gone! It’s gone!” every second.

Now, I may be the only mother in America with this problem, but just in case I’m not–here’s how you to it:

1. Sharpen your favorite knife and cut open one or two milk cartons.

2. Choose what buttons you want to cover. Draw out boxes with the desired dimensions. Bare down on pen and your folding will be a breeze later.

*The number pad cover is just the bottom of the carton. Not really a trouble spot for us, but it fit SO nicely.

3. Box off the corners to be your tabs.

4. Cut the boxes out, snip one side of each tab, crease.

5. Super glue (or staple?) tabs to secure box shape and set on keyboard.

6. Instruct children that anyone who removes the boxes will not have pbskids.org restarted when they jack it up–and instead, will get a time-out from the computer.

Huzzah!

Ivory–the craziest, meanest, greenest mom on the block.
Tags: , milk cartons, ,

Boni Ashburn November 11, 2008 at 9:13 pm

Ivory–the craziest, meanest, greenest mom on the block

HAHA!!! I think you need to add THAT to your sig line everywhere. Huzzah!

Nice to know I can at least harass you here, even if you are avoiding both writing AND your e-mail….

🙂

Tomato Lady November 11, 2008 at 9:22 pm

You are a genius. Now if you can invent sippy cups that automatically refill themselves I will make you my friend and start a blog with you. . . . . oh, wait.

Kelly from Almost Frugal November 11, 2008 at 10:28 pm

Great idea! I stumbled it.

Amy November 12, 2008 at 3:20 am

LOL!! I love it! Is it insanity is the mother of invention?? Oh no wait.. that was necessity is.. well.. I think it should be the other way around… lOL! I love it!

Garden4Life November 12, 2008 at 3:20 am

Great job! I was going to say “genius” but someone beat me to it. 🙂 Thanks for sharing.

Ivory Soap November 12, 2008 at 5:53 pm

So I guess I’m not the only one with this problem! Thank you all for your kind words.

Maybe one of you can figure out how to decorate them or something. That’s NOT my area. HA!

d December 23, 2011 at 2:23 pm

my toddlers now have toddlers of their own but i have kittens/cats that have decided mt laptop keyboard is their favorite place to sit. if i walk away for a few minutes they gather to pay homage to the inventors of this most comfy and fun place to park their hineys! while there, however, their little paws hit every action key possible multiple times and when i get back i have to close out dozens of different thing they’ve opened PLUS 97,000,645,130 calculators. this idea will not only save my mental health but the physical well-being of my felines! thanks!