Hunka Heat Therapy Love

by Daisy

We have a pile of these and use them every night. Not so much because we’re sore, but becuase they feel so good and make us sleepy.

Heat Therapy Bags

3-4 cups field corn*
8″ x 20″ Not-cute cotton inner bag material
8″ x 24″ Cute cotton washable outer bag material

*Deer Corn/Field Corn is best. There are two considerations in choosing grains for this type of craft, heat retention and fire hazard. The bigger the grain, the bigger the heat retention. Deer corn is the biggest one I’ve seen. Wheat and flax are warned against since both can explode. Whole, dry corn can be found at W-mart during deer season or at the feed store year round. It ranges from $.10-$.40 a pound depending on if you buy it in the bag or by the scoop.

1. Iron and trim material to size.

2. Fold inner bag material in half, wrong side out, and sew sides. (If using a serger, leave right side out and serge.)

3. Turn right side out. Fill about halfway with corn and serge closed or fold in and sew shut.

4. Sew or serge the short ends of the outer fabric. Fold outer bag material, wrong side out, overlapping 2 inches, a bit off center, and sew/serge sides. Turn right side out.

5. Put the inner in the outer.

To use, nuke for 2 minutes. (You may want to heat it up a few times yourself to draw out the moisture and the popcorn smell before gifting.)

Disclaimer: This post may contain a link to an affiliate.

Sandy Vanya June 13, 2010 at 12:00 pm

What do you have to do to get wheat & flax to explode? I have been using both for 10 years & have never had a problem with either exploding. I make, gift & sell microwaveable aromatherapy collars, lumbar pads & eye pillows and have never experienced any problems with wheat berries or flax seed.

Suzi July 19, 2012 at 3:55 pm

I made one of these using rice (not instant), and it worked really well too. We don’t have deer corn where I live.

Lara October 16, 2012 at 6:49 am

I would use either Rice or wheat & flax because in my mind Corn would stink to bad when heated up.

Loni March 7, 2013 at 9:04 am

Could I ask what type of material did you use for the inner bag?

Loni March 7, 2013 at 9:06 am

What type of material did you use for the inner bag?

Ivory Soap March 7, 2013 at 10:07 am

It was an old dish towel.

D February 1, 2014 at 1:09 am

I use cleaned cherry pits (I buy them online) because they can be washed and dried in the machine.

faith March 12, 2014 at 7:19 am

I HAVE BEEN MAKING THESE FOR YEARS WITH CORN . LOVE TO PUT THEM ON MY COLD FEET IN BED. I USE WHAT USED TO BE CALLED TRIGGER POPLIN FOR INNER BAG ( it’ called something else now, they know at the fabric store) OUTER BAG I MAKE OUT OF 100 PERCENT PRETTY COTTON MATERIAL.

Kasey February 23, 2017 at 7:28 am

I am sitting inside this cool winter morning with a horrible earache due to a cold, not wanting to go outside to feed my calves on my dairy farm. I just may go into the feed room and get some corn out of the silo to make this. My only concern is that it will be lumpier than one made with a smaller grain.

Daisy February 23, 2017 at 8:05 am

Kasey–Sorry about your earache!I know people use corn, too. I hope it helps. Drink a nice cup of tea and pamper yourself today. Hugs.