I read a great study by NASA the other day about cleaning your indoor air with plants. They did all these crazy tests and found the top species. But, lots of them were toxic to kids and pets if broken or swallowed. So here’s the abbreviated list that I got for my house.
NASA recommends 1 6-inch plant for every 100 sq feet of indoor space to effectively clean your air. I recommend you get them all at Home Depot for $3-5 each since they have that 1-year guarantee. You kill it, they replace it free! Luckily, all of the species (except Daisy) below are on the “almost impossible to kill” lists on the web.
Best non-toxic species for cleaner air (bolded are pictured later):
- Snake plant or Mother-in-Law’s Tongue (sansevieria laurentii)
- Bamboo palm (Chamaedorea seifrizii)
- Green spider plant (Chlorophytum elatum)
- Janet Craig (Dracaena deremensis “Janet Craig)
- Marginata (Dracaena marginata)
- Corn Plant or Mass Cane (Dracaena massangeana)
- Warneckei (Dracaena warneckei)
- Gerber Daisy