Watermelon Moment

by Daisy

IMG_4184

A moment is all it takes to consume this tasty fruit.  Lemme show you:

IMG_4186Oh, tiny. So tiny.

What went wrong? I’ve never grown a watermelon before. Any advice for next year?

Disclaimer: This post may contain a link to an affiliate.

becca September 7, 2009 at 8:33 am

More water? Or fertilizer? or sun? I bet it was tasty though!

pumpkinsx3 September 7, 2009 at 8:43 am

There could be a market for such. Individual serving size watermelons. Great for the lunch box. Snack on the go. Great for singles who can’t eat a whole melon.

Nyteflame September 7, 2009 at 9:30 am

In my experience, watermelons are a bit like cucumber and zucchini. They will continue to grow as long as the vine stays alive. They grow bigger (but less sweet) with more water, smaller (but sweeter) with less. What variety of watermelon did you plant? The sugar babies only grow about the size of a cantaloupe on a normal basis. Perhaps you planted one of the small varieties of water melon, and did not let it grow long enough, or did not water it as much as normal?

Tanya Walton September 7, 2009 at 12:15 pm

hey…who cares??? YOU GREW A WATERMELON!!!!!! go you!!!!

Dorothy September 7, 2009 at 12:17 pm

Was this melon suppose to be this small? My husband has grown very small watermelons and I love them.
Or was this a mistake?

Teresa September 7, 2009 at 1:08 pm

Our watermelons have been mysteriously tiny this year too. It could be our cooler summer (although I don’t know where you live). If we’d known they were going to be tiny, we’d have skipped growing sugar babies and went back to moon and stars (which normally can yield you a 30 pound beast).

Pippa September 7, 2009 at 1:13 pm

That is so cute, it looks huge in the first photo! The only thing I know about watermelons is that Rabbit from Pooh grows them, so Go you!

MK September 7, 2009 at 2:04 pm

I grow them around 15 to 20 lbs. The key is to add a good dollop of bone meal to the mound where the vines originate as soon as fruit forms, and mix it into the dirt gently and carefully. Also, the melons need lots and lots of water. The variety I grew this year is an orange heirloom. I’ll try to find the packet to get the name. Baker Seeds has the orange ones. (Heirlooms of course.)

Joan September 7, 2009 at 4:31 pm

I’m curious! What kind? Did you get miniature seed? hehehe! I do think they are cute!

Spring September 7, 2009 at 7:10 pm

LOL! It’s too cute! Like last year, the local groundhog-type creature ate my blooms and I got no watermelon, or cucumbers, or squash. None of the environmentally safe repellents have worked on this guy… and I live in the city! I hope your little melon tasted sweet! Or, if not, it is at least a memorable melon! 🙂

Amanda September 7, 2009 at 8:19 pm

Oh, I am so glad you posted this. I was feeling like such a goof. Ours are just as small! We took out our front yard and planted it all in melons, cantaloupe and pumpkins…. and I have only a few teeny tiny melons to harvest. I was so embarrassed! Of course…. we did discover skunks tend to prefer only the finest of the melons and any variety of pumpkins. Alas, we shall be visiting the local pumpkin patch again this year.

Tomato Lady September 8, 2009 at 12:47 am

becca–I think you’re right. All of the above.
pumpkins/3–Oh, you know it! Hilarious!
Nyteflame–Sugar Baby. Vine died too soon while the melon was tiny. I tried to keep it watered but I may have not given it enough.
Tanya Walton–Love You!!
Dorothy–Supposed to be bigger, but maybe I would be better off adjusting my expectations!
Teresa–Hmm. I see. You may have something there!
Pippa–I thought of taking its picture on a little picnic table. If I had a little picnic table . . .
MK–I will try that next year. Thank you!
Joan–Ha! That would be cute! Like fairy melons.
Spring–Yes, memorable, if not very filling. (sigh)
Amanda–Oh good! Glad to help you feel better! (At least you’ll have the opportunity of a hayride now, maybe?)

acv2 September 8, 2009 at 7:46 am

Sooooooooooooooooooooooo cute!!!!!!!!!!
Like a miniature pinscher, or a teacup chihuahua…hehe
I just love the perspective in the picture!!!!!!!!

Anyway, Tanya is right; who cares?? It’s a watermelon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8-D

Marcelle Chambers September 8, 2009 at 4:02 pm

I don’t know what went wrong, but mine are EXACTLY the same????? Very odd.

Beverly September 8, 2009 at 8:58 pm

I planted 9 watermelon plants. I was out watering them a couple of weeks ago when I realised that people are picking melons now. I looked at mine closer and sure enough I had one melon growing. It was about the size of a quarter. When I checked it a couple of days ago, something had eaten it. I had half of a quarter size shell left. Oh well. A farmer told me last year that watermelons require bees for pollination. But you have bees don’t you?

LateBloomer September 9, 2009 at 12:52 pm

This was my first year with watermelon too. If it makes you feel any better, my watermelon radishes were bigger than all but one of my watermelons…. Bright side, my daughter LOVES her cute little baby watermelons… she shows them to all of our guests and they have a nice laugh….. on me….. i’m not bitter….

Weeds-for-brains September 9, 2009 at 2:53 pm

looks like my watermelons this year. I blame the weather. I hope mine taste as good as yours looks though! Don’t give up on them.

JavaLady September 10, 2009 at 7:38 am

You go girl ! Sooo cute ! My vines still have flowers on them, I don’t think they are gonna do anything at all except keep spreading out. Yes, I planted mine late. Maybe I didn’t have any bees to pollenate them? I’ll try again next year. Where can we find those Heirloom seeds online ??

Erin from long island September 10, 2009 at 11:47 pm

That looks like the cuest little thing! Perfect for a lunchbox suprise = )

I hate whan crops fail. It makes me feel like a fool. I tried a watermelon transplant and it died in a matter of weeks. My pumpkins that I started myself never bore fruit or even flowers. I guess some plants are more particular then others!

Tomato Lady September 11, 2009 at 12:28 am

Erin from long island–I’m learning the same thing. I may give squash a rest for a few years until I build up my courage again.

Tomato Lady September 11, 2009 at 12:35 am

JavaLady–The heirloom orange ones someone was mentioning? Maybe they will check back in and reply. Other than that, check out http://www.fedcoseeds.com. I bet they have something good and heirloom in the melon department.

Tomato Lady September 11, 2009 at 12:41 am

Weeds-for-brains–I’m with you, let’s blame the weather. Too much . . . something. There’s always next year.

Tomato Lady September 11, 2009 at 12:43 am

LateBloomer–Aw, that’s sweet. The one in the photo was my biggest one. The others were more suited to the dollhouse, like yours.

JavaLady September 11, 2009 at 5:42 pm

Oh my gosh! This morning, I went out and checked my watermellon plant after commenting here yesterday. I have 3 baby watermellons that look like striped limes! Who knew? WOW. These are Black Diamond ones so they should get big if it isn’t too late. I am just flabergasted, surprised, astounded, and tickled.

Tomato Lady September 12, 2009 at 12:25 am

JavaLady–Congrats! Black Diamonds sounds really delicious. Never heard of those.

Handful October 1, 2009 at 5:09 pm

Yours is bigger than mine!

Tomato Lady October 3, 2009 at 6:42 am

Handful–Oh, I can’t believe that!

LaRee November 9, 2010 at 10:32 pm

My teenage sister in law had planted a watermelon patch, she tended it and fed and watered that patch better than I’ve ever seen someone in the garden. Well along came summer and she watched them, watered them every single day, in fact several times each day and they refused to grow very big. After a while she got discouraged with them and began neglecting her garden, she didn’t go check on them for about a week, thats how discouraged this watermelon mama was. Well, one day she decided she’d better go water them at least, when she got out there she got the surprise of her life! all her itty bitty water melons had grown into huge, gigantic melons! She had to get a wagon to carry them to the house. And they were yummy yummy melons too!

Nick LaDieu February 15, 2011 at 5:03 pm

LMAO – great post. Thanks for sharing. I’ve had my fair share of flops. I should do these posts to my blog