Purpose-Challenged Plants 2

by Daisy

This is the second installment in an effort to put a name to the “weeds” in my yard. I took several pictures this summer and am trying to identify them one at a time.

I’m not sure we ever satisfactorily identified the first of the P-CP’s, but I had a lot of fun anyway.

I thought we’d take a whack at another of these yard critters and see if we can put a definitive name to it this time. (I promise to avail myself of the folks at Dave’s Garden if all else fails).

I think this is going to be an easy one. I know I feel like I should know its name already. It makes me nostalgic for warmer weather:

IMG_3728

Ready, set, . . . IDENTIFY!

Disclaimer: This post may contain a link to an affiliate.

Jennifer December 10, 2009 at 9:55 am

Are they little? Because then they might be Fleabane.

Such a cute little wildflower! ^_^

Melody D December 10, 2009 at 10:00 am
Harriet December 10, 2009 at 10:04 am

I can’t see the leaves to tell for sure, but the flower looks like some variety of wild aster.

Elizabeth Anne December 10, 2009 at 10:23 am

Is it fleabane?

Kitty December 10, 2009 at 10:40 am

You need to be able to see the leaves and structure, not just the flowers on this. More photos?

Emma December 10, 2009 at 10:55 am

They look like lawn daisies to me – Bellis perennis – although the only ones growing in my garden grow in the driveway, nowhere near a lawn. If so, they are not completely purposeless: http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Bellis+perennis

ranch101 December 10, 2009 at 11:03 am

The flowers look like chamomile, but I agree with Kitty that we need more parts of the plant visible to make a good identification. Also something to help give scale. Chamomile flowers are little, but there are plants with similar but larger flowers (various mums pop to mind).

Jessie December 10, 2009 at 11:44 am

My first thought is wild aster, we have tons of it. A quick look at the leaves would confirm.

Jessie December 10, 2009 at 11:45 am

And, people pay money for asters, so I’d keep it!

Viljem Klemen December 10, 2009 at 5:56 pm

I agree, , but it looks too weird, to be a Chamomile. If it was, You would probably already made a tea out of it and not post it as a weed right 🙂

It looks like Daisy Fleabane, but still not sure

Are the leaves as in this picture?

Have Fun identifying Your Weed hehe,

Will

Tomato Lady December 10, 2009 at 9:17 pm

Thank you, everybody! Although I don’t have a clear photo (or memory) of the way the leaves join the stem, I think it is Daisy Fleabane. I will re-check in the Spring to be sure it isn’t Common Fleabane. Now I can give it the respect it deserves by calling it by name. Thank you again!

Kitsune Heather December 10, 2009 at 9:48 pm

Definately in the aster family (which fleabane is also a part of). Not enough of the plant to tell more, but I agree on a fleabane of some sort.

Les December 10, 2009 at 9:53 pm

yup=fleabane

Sikat Ang Pinoy December 10, 2009 at 10:35 pm

Wow, and they are “weeds” only in your lawn? Ornamental weeds then. They flowers are so beautiful and so delicate…not much like the garden foe! 🙂

Erin from long island December 11, 2009 at 5:27 am

HA! I HAVE THAT TOO AND THOUGHT IT WAS FEVERFEW. wow, this is so great to find out!

jan December 11, 2009 at 8:12 am

I work as a florist and we use a flower like this for filler flower in arrangements. Ours is called monte’ casino. It also comes in lavender.

Anna December 11, 2009 at 10:17 am

It’s definitely *not* chamomile or feverfew! The petals are quite different. My guess would have been fleabane as well. Fleabane is also a form of wild aster (it’s in the Asteraceae family).

heidi December 14, 2009 at 9:21 pm

The posters who said fleabane and the ones who said aster are right. Fleabane and aster are part of the same family. This flower is known commonly as aster in my area, and as daisy fleabane in other areas. It can aslo be found less commonly in the wild in a light purple color and a light blue color.