A Day at Homeschool 2010

by Ivory Soap on 01/13/2010

After a week, I’ve settled into a schedule I like.  (If you can even call it a schedule.  I don’t really DO schedules.)  A routine, if you will.  The only REAL times are in bold.  Everything else is an approximate guess.  And BTW, it’s really LONG cause I figured you wanted the details and all my 100% honest, wacked-out commentary, not just the times and events.  Right?

Day in the Life of Ivory’s Homeschool

6:ooAM Off to mass in the clothes I slept in.

~7:00AM Get home, kiss the hubby good-bye, make a tofu shake, and sit down at the computer where I write a post, procrastinate about an article or manuscript, or answer some email…whatever.

~7:30 One or more kids wake up and start bugging me about homeschool or some imagined art project.  Today, (7:27AM…*YAWN*) my daughter wants to decorate the ugly marker box with finger prints and stickers.   I continue to procrastinate and half answer their questions about how to spell something and deny them their God-given right to television.  But, today I gave in so I could finish this post.   I had to figure out how to reassemble the antenna and whatnot so Sid the Science kid isn’t pixelated.

~8-sh? 8:30?  I print out Nate’s Ancient Egypt coloring sheet (his current obsession, takes two seconds for him to choose) and breathe in and out before I invite Callie to choose something.  She takes FOREVER. I have to go through thirty or more google images of coloring pages before she settles on the perfect dragon/unicorn/Egypt/what-have-you…and THEN she has me photoshop it to her specifications.  Thank God, she wants to paint today and not color.

Between now and about 10:30, we do the 3R’s:

• Both kids do their copywork while I set up their math and spelling.
  • I leave Callie to further create while Nate and I do his phonics and reading.
  • I set out his math and spelling to finish independently, while Callie and I read.
  • I set out Callie’s math while I check Nate’s work.
  • Zach flits around doing three year old things the whole time and somewhere in there I feed them breakfast.

~10:30-ish  BREAK TIME–We do some origami or I try to make them go burn some calories–chase goats, break ice, but they often just do some imagination play or look at the library books.  I make some decaf, which they all want with cream and sweetener, please.  And…we loll around.

~11:15-esque  We ALL pile up on the couch for subject time, even the 3-yr-old.  I do a Charlotte Mason-ish style homeschool, so that means a lot of out loud reading.  I tried doing a bit of each subject each day, but we hated that.   So, we take one day for each subject.  While one child is reading with me, the other is doing the French work on the ‘puter.

• Monday, we did all our literature and poetry reading with narration and discussion.
  • Today, we’ll do all our history.
  • Wednesday we’ll do our science reading.
  • Thursday, we’ll do all of the geography/biography reading.
  • Friday, we’ll do religious studies and art.

Reading and talking about all of the stories takes about 30-45 minutes?  I don’t know.  It’s really nice though.  Lots of blankets and books.  LOVELY.

~12:15-ish Eat and maybe go somewhere, or have someone over.   We spend at least two afternoons a week at the library.  Today, we had a friend over for a few hours (this is when they chased goats and beat the stew out of an ice chunk with a broom handle) and then we all took a lil’ nap.

3:45PM Head to the car line to pick up the neighbor kid from school.

~4:20PM Drop kids off at Grammy’s.  Do a little Leslie Sansone, shower, start dinner, hang with hubby.

6:00PM Get kids from Grammy’s and eat dinner.  Everyone with a happy-plate gets to play the Wii.

~7:30PM  Bedtime stories and night-night.  I’ve been reading Winnie-the-Pooh, but Pooh Corner makes even less sense than the first one.  Tonight, I’m switching to Pippi.  It hurts me not to finish a book, but even if I do voices, I’m the only one paying attention.  Hang with hubby till bed.

*Zzzzz*

Ivory

Lanie January 13, 2010 at 10:58 am

I’m a public school teacher that so wants to homeschool my three girls! Praying the my husband will feel the same one day…SOON!
Thanks for the post…informative and entertaining!

Jennifer W. January 13, 2010 at 11:47 am

Thank you so much! I’ve been thinking about homeschooling my kids, and I’ve been so confused as to where to start. Thank you for the resources. My oldest is 3, so I suppose I have some time to plan. I love your site. It’s so informative and inspirational.

Eleanor January 13, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Looks like a fun day. I especially like the chasing goats part. My kids would love that!

Rebecca January 13, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Sounds like a fun and educational day! How old are your kids?

Ivory Soap January 13, 2010 at 5:19 pm

Rebecca–they’re 7,6, and 3

Ali January 13, 2010 at 6:41 pm

Been reading your blog for a year or so and somehow missed the post about you beginning to homeschool. Good for you! I’ve got three at home (10, 8, & 5 years old) homeschooling the past two years and I’ll tell ya, it does get easier! Just wait until your oldest takes over teaching the younger ones — without being asked. It’s great. And that part about lots of blankets and books is my favorite time, too. Good luck!

Mommaofmany January 13, 2010 at 8:54 pm

Don’t stress about stopping a book that isn’t interesting. It’s the best thing you can do! You don’t want read-aloud time to be dreaded. We ditched the classics “Pinocchio” and “Wind in the Willows” half way through. Some folks LOVE those stories. For us, they were drudgery.

M January 14, 2010 at 9:36 am

I started homeschooling my 14- and 11-year-old a year ago and love it. I’ve received these for quite a few years for embroidery ideas but I found them useful for homeschooling activities as well:

I’ve amassed a huge folder of coloring pages from here. I also subscribe to the teacher sampler.

Ivory Soap January 14, 2010 at 9:17 pm

M —I signed up just now. I’m so excited!

Pajarito January 14, 2010 at 9:48 pm

I wish more people homeschooled and allowe their kids to grow with lots of creativity and stress free. I found a very interesting interview about unschooling you might find interesting.

Keep the god ideas coming!

M January 15, 2010 at 8:33 am

Ivory,

This is also a great site that was suggested to me by another homeschooling mom:

My daughter loves the seasonal activities and puzzles. I was mainly using the site for states and capitals and geography. It was amazing finding out what the schools DIDN’T teach my children all those years and what they didn’t make sure they learned and retained. My kids and I were too busy spending 5 hours a night on required homework to keep track.

Now that we’re homeschooling my kids actually love history and don’t mind math so much anymore. 🙂

Liz January 15, 2010 at 12:40 pm

I’m SO happy to see your input on homeschooling. Hubby and I are strongly considering homeschooling our Asperger’s son starting next year. The normal school system just isn’t working out for him. He’s too smart to get low grades because they can’t match his learning style. When I search for homeschooling resources the results are overwhelming, so it’s nice to see your take on it.

Vicky October 10, 2010 at 2:09 pm

So how’s the homeschool adventure going? I homeschool 2 boys 14 and 10. I’ve been doing it for 8 almost 9 years now. So when I say adventure I mean it. I have learned so much along with the boys.

busymom29 January 22, 2011 at 11:46 am

Found your site today while searching soap making recipes. Needless to say, it is now BOOKMARKED! Witty and down to earth is my style. Your homeschool day seems a lot like mine, only I have 9 children of my own and 2 “borrowed” toddlers.

Sunnie October 16, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Thank you for writing this post! I love your honesty! I subscribe to a few blogs, and you’re the only one who admits to “Flops” 🙂 I also homeschool (my kids are 8,7,6,6,4,2, & 1) and its so refreshing to know ours aren’t the only schedules with a bunch of ‘-ish’s and ‘-esque’s, and maybe some question marks and *yawns* for good measure. (: