Gluten Free Flour

by Ivory Soap on 02/15/2010

That’s rice flour, my friend.  Ground in my very own kitchen!  My MIL got me this cool hand crank grinder for Christmas.  I wouldn’t recommend handcranking enough for a fat loaf of bread, but for a few cups here and there, it’s perfect.

I just clamp it to my kitchen table and turn the kids loose on it.

I have it as fine as it will go and the result is something akin to cornmeal.  Not as fine as all purpose flour, but plenty fine for cream of rice and pancakes!

KeLLy Ann February 15, 2010 at 10:31 am

Awesome. Wow…

Jeni February 15, 2010 at 2:06 pm

I actually got this same grinder for Christmas. I use it to make 3 loaves of bread a week. I never thought about rice. That’s genius!

Dara February 15, 2010 at 3:04 pm

So do you just put regular rice in it? I’ve always wondered if you can make rice flour by just grinding rice or if it needs something special done to it.

Ivory Soap February 15, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Dara…yep, just regular brown rice is what I use.

Dara February 15, 2010 at 7:02 pm

Sold! Thanks, I didn’t know I wanted one until now! Wish you had posted before my birthday, though.
Oh well, now I know what to ask for next Christmas.

Shannon February 15, 2010 at 8:02 pm

So could you re-mill the rice flour to get a finer product? Since you have a little sweat shop (LOL jk), mill on Monday and re-mill on Tuesday to get flour for your fat loaf of bread. Just a thought.

Betty February 15, 2010 at 8:27 pm

You might want to consider double grinding your flour. I have a similar grinder and I double grind all my flour. It should work for your rice flour.
Betty

Ivory Soap February 16, 2010 at 8:10 am

Shannon–the commenter above you think so. I tried it, but I didn’t really notice a difference. I should do it again and pay attention.

Handful February 16, 2010 at 12:13 pm

You are so wholesome! Cool grinder.

JavaLady February 16, 2010 at 9:10 pm

cool grinder and I like the RICE Flour !! I have a hand grinder too (got mine from Lehman’s Amish Catalog) and can adjust the fineness of the grind. I usually grind whole wheat or spelt then add other cracked grains. Ground grains don’t keep well , even in the fridge, for more than about a week so only grind as much as you can use in a week. Happy grinding and baking !!!

Su-sieee! Mac February 17, 2010 at 1:44 am

Oooooh. Neat. I didn’t know anything like it existed. I’ve just added it to my wish list.

Flitryss April 3, 2010 at 10:38 am

Fantastic. I’m still new at the gluten free thing and a friend of mine mentioned “Grinding your own stuff” to make flours instead of buying them. I’ll give this a try!