Farmer’s Market

by Ivory Soap on 07/07/2010

It took us YEARS to get a Farmer’s Market here.  But last year it started on the sidewalk by MIL’s place of work.  This year, we have a place to ourselves…the lot behind Public Works and the Literacy Council.  Ha-ha!

Want one?

1.  Nag elected officials at town meetings for twenty years.

2.  Suggest a different scenario each time until one is found that isn’t illegal according to the plethora of town codes.

3.  Jump through 17 hoops.

Waa-laa!

Ivory

P.S.  It is a recurring inside joke for me to use the phrase “Waa-laa!” instead of “Voila!” and watch all of the party-pooper comments pour in.  TL majored in French and I took four years of it myself. We know it’s wrong. In grad school, we had a counseling professor who always said it to when describing the outcome of a successful therapy technique.  I love it and will never stop using it, no matter how many times I am corrected.  Waa-laa, waa-laa, waa-laa!   But, go ahead and comment.  Gotta spend that energy on something.

Emily July 7, 2010 at 6:10 am

Congrats on the Farmers Market!! Good fun.

My three years of Spanish got obliterated by the two years of Latin which was further confused by actual Spanish at my job. The point being, I had no idea “waa-laa!” was actually a word (of sorts) so I have no idea why it is not correct and “viola” is.

Carla July 7, 2010 at 6:11 am

Your farmers’ market looks great! We have a few small ones in the little towns around. I don’t think any of them are as big and nice as yours looks.

On voila: I’ve seen BILLBOARDS which had it misspelled so honestly, I prefer to go ahead and say it properly instead of joking about it. In fact, this past weekend I informed our young grandchildren that waa-laa is incorrect, no matter how many people pronounce it that way. However, if you get a kick out of it…

KeLLy Ann July 7, 2010 at 11:26 am

what? no right arm and leg??
and were the hoops on fire?
Bravo!! Finally, huh?

I rather prefer waa laa!

Kat July 7, 2010 at 11:46 am

Voila? Fine!
Waa-laa? Fine!
Viola? I must find and destroy you! As a viola player, it’s my obligation.

Our town finally started a Farmers Market a few years ago. In it’s infancy, it was truly pathetic. Now, it’s grown so large that my husband (a crowd hater) refuses to go.

They’re a bit like a garden–nothing, nothing, nothing, whammo!

Maggie July 7, 2010 at 6:43 pm

thanks for the education, I always read voila like it’s spelled, voi-la.

Liz July 7, 2010 at 6:47 pm

We go with viola. A friend of mine was buying nail polish and asked the girl at the department store cosmetics counter for the color “Voila.” The young lady said “oh, you mean viola.” Really, what else can we say?

BTW – congrats on the farmers market. (that’s what the post was really about, right? 🙂 We have a great one, and we loooooove it!

jan July 7, 2010 at 6:49 pm

We are so lucky in our town to have an abundance of farmer’s markets. We have 2 large ones on Sat. morning and a couple of smaller ones in the afternoon on Wed. I am so spoiled to be able to buy farm fresh eggs, meats, home made pastas, cheese, breads, in addition to all the wonderful produce. I absolutely love shopping at the farmer’s markets!

Amy July 7, 2010 at 7:00 pm

The “Waa-laa” made me laugh and think of my 9th grade Algebra teacher! He always said “My apple-logies” when we would point out his (intentionally made) mistakes! The whole class would burst into giggles!

He always reminded me a little of “Alfred Hitchcok” (spelling?) because of the way he’d say it! 😀

Thanks so much for the giggles, and I’m bound and determined now to go find the farmer’s market (here in PA it seems to be called an Auction) in the next town over (sorry, none locally, not anymore).

Heather July 7, 2010 at 7:00 pm

Mercy buckets.

Valerie Johnson July 7, 2010 at 7:13 pm

Congrats on the farmer’s market! I’m looking forward to the day I no longer work Friday nights so I can get up at the crack of dawn on Saturday and visit the closest one, 20 miles away! I envy people who have one close and especially one that’s open more often than Saturday morning.

JavaLady July 7, 2010 at 9:47 pm

Oooh I love going to farmers markets to get fresh stuff that I can’t seem to grow. We finally have one , a small one, that is thriving here in my home town. The City is actually financing and building a permanent structure for the Farmers Market, complete with water and electricity so that we can get certified as a WIC Approved Farmers Market. Yaay ! That will be great for our local farmers to get WIC participant business and a permanent house — and it will be great for our WIC participants to get access to really , really fresh , wholesome produce. ( I work for WIC ) Ours is open on Saturdays from 7 am til noon, and Tuesday evenings from 5 til 7. Go Farmers !! And HOORAY for towns all over that are getting these organized and running.

Darlene July 7, 2010 at 10:30 pm

Well I’ve been having a sad summer due to the misconduct of one of my young adult children. In fact, I’ve been sad and crying all day. Then I opened my Google Reader and found your post and just cracked up! Thanks for the laugh, I REALLY needed it.

Yes, some people REALLY do need to get a life. And being the grammar/spelling/foreign language usage police on other people’s blogs is NOT a LIFE!

Keep up the good work and THANK YOU!

Jenny July 8, 2010 at 7:36 am

Congratulations on the success of your farmers’ market! My hubby always says waa-laa. I had 3 years of French in high school, so I always correct him. But I think he does it now to see if he can irritate me… LOL!

elsa July 8, 2010 at 8:11 am

we are so lucky to have Farmer’s Markets all over the place in Portland, Oregon! there’s even one down the street from me, maybe 5 blocks away, every Thursday! On Saturday downtown there’s one that has music and places to eat even! love living here and getting local vegies!

Susan July 8, 2010 at 8:48 am

Ah, quel fromage.

Ginger Bergemann July 8, 2010 at 11:35 am

I really enjoy your blog. My husband and I are also suburban farmer-wanna-bes. Check out our blog at bigdreamsforasimplelife.com We are just starting our transition, maybe I can pick up a tip or two from you. 🙂

Dolly July 8, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Mispronouncing language is loads of fun! My favorite Spanish word is “grassy-ass” — I even spell it that way.

Seeing “waa-laa” spelled out reminds me of that exaggerated “whassup” from the beer commercials, and now I’ll probably always pronounce it “waa-LAAAAAH!”

Lindsay July 8, 2010 at 2:42 pm

I think in the south, we butcher the word ‘voila’ so badly, that ‘waa-laa’ is the only acceptable way to spell it.
Congrats on the market! I love our OK markets. We have markets that only allow OK grown produce, so we don’t get stuff from all over, keeps it local.

Mindy B July 8, 2010 at 8:21 pm

I wanted to ask you a question but there is nothing under the contact page. What is the e-mail address I can contact you at? Thanks!

JoAnn July 8, 2010 at 8:44 pm

Hooray for perseverance!!! We have a farmer’s market in our town but our mayor is not fond of it. Hoping he changes his tune and makes a better effort to work with the farmer’s instead of against them.

Bee@TalesFromAWelStockedLarder July 9, 2010 at 5:25 am

Delurks…Oh, I am totally in love with farmers markets, all they stand for and the fantastic produce you can get there. Congratulations on getting one near you and even more for organising it!

Tomato Lady July 9, 2010 at 8:00 am

Mindy B–We can be reached at littlehousemail@gmail.com

Angela July 11, 2010 at 7:43 am

Oh my gosh I am so happy I found this website! I want to homeschool this year, love vegetable gardening and crochet. I am so going to check back here very often! Love it!

VeryThorough July 11, 2010 at 1:52 pm

I must admit I was tempted to correct your “waa-laa” before I read your PS.

However, my favorite foreign language misspelling is “cheewawa.”

Pat July 29, 2010 at 3:59 am

We’ve had a farmer’s market here for quite a few years. If you want to keep yours, never let them “improve” it. They built a roof over the walkway, which covers half the area. The other half has no roof and looks unappealing… but the half that does have the roof only covers the customers. The vendors sit in the rain. AND, the roof is sloped so that the rain all pours directly on them. Other improvements have really slowed down business.

Leslie August 9, 2010 at 9:08 am

It is a shame you had to put so much effort into getting a market. Most towns are thrilled to have one. We have had lots of help from town officials with ours. Sounds like it is time to get some fresh blood into your city council?

Dianne Parks February 8, 2011 at 10:00 am

Who are the best people to contact regarding a farmer’s market? I think every suburb in the Memphis area has one except Bartlett. I contacted the Chamber of Commerce, but think that is the wrong way to go. They said it would be strictly a private endeavor and the chamber or city would not be involved in any way. Also, it is hard connecting with people who have a passion for this. Does Collierville get any help from the city at all?

As a master gardener intern, I also felt that Bartlett was one of the few suburbs who did not utilize the volunteer master gardeners. I wrote to the head of the parks dept. suggesting that they are missing out, and naturally have heard nothing.

Congratulations on your column on fluorescent bulbs by the way. So glad to understand the big picture. I totally didn’t understand the purpose when we would be polluting our ground with mercury. Especially when I called the waste disposal management people in Memphis with a question of where to dispose of my compact fluorescents, and was advised to put them in the trash!!!! That was over a year ago, and hopefully they have the right answer now.

I love your blog by the way. Thanks so much.