Asparagus Update

by Daisy on 03/25/2011

The asparagus has sprouted.

I was worried I might fall over with excitement, but I remained upright and conscious, although I did gasp.

They’re so cute.

I’m such a girl.

When I was a kid growing up with three brothers, “girl” was an insult.  I threw like a girl.  Whistled like a girl.  Cried like a girl.

Well, guess what?  I am a girl.  And I think asparagus is cute.  And I’m not ashamed of it.

The roots I planted were very good-looking, super-long roots from Nourse.  I think I love Nourse.  Check out these roots:

The new sprouts of the asparagus I just planted are thicker than the little spindly sprout of the one surviving asparagus from a garden center pack I planted two years ago.

Melissa March 25, 2011 at 12:40 pm

it is cute!!! I am a girl too 🙂

Jenn March 25, 2011 at 2:56 pm

I was totally convinced my asparagus bed was dead. I just put it in last year and it seemed pretty happy, but anything can happen over a winter. Well, I was in the garden cleaning up and doing a little mulching and I just HAD to take a peek under the deep mulch and compost and I noticed a beautiful spear on it’s way up!! I squealed (like a girl) and tucked the little dear back in to await it’s official appearance! I’m so excited too!!!

Tanya Walton March 25, 2011 at 3:31 pm

That asparagus looks great…I will need to buy more this year as I didn’t plant mine quick enough last year and I think it died before I got it in the ground…whoops!!

JoAnn March 25, 2011 at 6:57 pm

Years ago I lived with my grandparents. My job was to help mow their very large property. They were master gardeners and grew everything under the sun. One day while mowing a section my granddaddy usually mowed I saw these tall weeds. Thinking is was grass of some sort I mowed it down. Yeah, it wasn’t grass. In one pass with the riding mower I had successfully brought the asparagus down to nothing. I am happy to say my granddaddy still loves me but I was not allowed to now that area again. 😉

Tomato Lady March 25, 2011 at 9:00 pm

JoAnn–Ouch. Glad all’s forgiven!

jan March 26, 2011 at 5:49 am

Beautiful! Made my mouth water just looking at this picture! I can’t wait to get some planted this spring.

art2 April 5, 2011 at 9:05 am

I hope that in your effort to go green that you have not invested in the new expensive light bulbs or treasured art work. The fluorescent light bulbs will fade all the colors in the art work. Your investment will decline in value as long as the bulbs are used.