How to Wrangle One-Size Cloth Diapers

by Ivory Soap on 05/25/2011

When I first looked at my new one-size pocket diapers, I saw nothing but a sea of snaps.  I have NO IDEA how to use it!

Pocket diapers come in two parts.  A soaker and a cover.  The cover has a slot in the back in which you can slide the soaker.

On the front of the diaper cover, there are a gillion snaps.  The row at the top is for tightening the waistline, like a regular diaper.  The rows beneath are how you shrink the diaper for different size babies.

If you take the first row of three and snap it into the lowest row of three, you shorten the diaper for little babies.

Once the diaper is adjusted to the proper size, insert baby.  Keep it low in the back and high in the front.

Snap the right side first if you intend to overlap.  My teeny-tiny still needs this.

As the baby grows, you can snap the first row of three into the second row instead of the last.  And finally, you won’t shorten it at all.  If anyone is interested where I get my diapers, look here.

Cori May 25, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Those are actually pocket diapers. AIOs don’t come apart. (They are a pain because they take years to dry.) Good post – the first time I saw one I was thrown too!

EmilyB May 26, 2011 at 1:43 am

I love, love my multi-fit pockets. For our first we used big old terry squares, number two used home made ‘fitted’ nappies and now our third I splurged and brought the premade multi fit pockets. Oh wow they are so good, quick to dry and easy to fit.
The All-in-Ones are a really bugger to dry. I accidently brought some, (thinking they were pockets) and I have unpicked the boosters from the nappy – no worries drying them now!
Yes the sea of snaps took afew days to get my head around. The best advice I can give with cloth is to have them put together ‘before’ you get to nappy changing.

alianora May 26, 2011 at 6:14 am

Yep, those are pockets, not AIOs. AIOs have the soaker sewn in so it’s not removable, making it exactly like a sposie for ease of on and off. But they take FOREVER to dry. Pockets are awesome because you can adjust the soaker/stuffer as needed to your wetter. When my kiddo was still in dipes, daytime had 1 normal stuff. At night, he had one of those, plus a hemp soaker and another smaller microfiber stuffer.
You’ve got the snaps down, though! Those things are crazy confusing when you first get a dipe like that!

Ivory Soap May 26, 2011 at 6:18 am

Thanks ladies, I fixed it in the text.

Javalady62@hotmail.com May 26, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Wow. I used to make cloth diapers and soakers and covers and AIOs. T hese diapers have more snaps than I’ve ever seen !! Wow. Very interesting !!

Ashley May 27, 2011 at 5:26 am

I contemplated using cloth diapers with my last baby, but couldn’t get The Husband on board. I’m thinking with our next one I’m actually gonna go for it and just assume that I’m going to be changing all the diapers (big change there!).

Nicole May 29, 2011 at 10:49 am

We had to use disposables the first two weeks or so because the wee one wasn’t big enough for her cloth diapers. We now use prefolds and Thirsties covers, and it’s just as easy as the disposables were. And I only have to wash them every 2-3 days.
One of the first things I told my husband before we got pregnant was that we were going to cloth diaper, period, end of story. I guess what I’m saying is, go for it Ashley.