We Got The Beets

by Daisy on 06/09/2011

These are Three Root Grex beets.  I’ve never grown beets that seemed so happy to be alive.  The tops are lush and thick and giant and sweet.

Since this variety is a cross of three different heirloom types of beets, some roots are red, some yellow, and some orange.  So it’s fun to pull them, you never know what you’re going to get, and it makes a beautiful, multicolored side dish.

Here’s a red one:

Gold:

Now here’s where being a blogger makes me look a little less crazy, because it’s so gorgeous I would have taken this next picture even if I wasn’t a blogger.

And that would be nuts.

“Uh . . .  hon?  Why’re you taking pictures of a pan of beets?”

“Um . . . ”

And this next:

See, so pretty.

These four beets yielded THREE POUNDS of delicious beet greens.

Yes, I weighed them.

Being a blogger makes that, too, not crazy.

Note:  Thanks to Birds & Blooms Blog for making us their Blog of the Week!  You can check out our feature here.

Jessie June 9, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Just *beautiful*! I hope mine turn out half as nicely!

caitlinvb June 9, 2011 at 12:15 pm

I weigh all the stuff that comes out of my garden… and now I can forgive myself because I AM a blogger 🙂 So thank you thank you! I am slightly jealous of your beets, though – mine are definitely NOT happy in the heat, even though they don’t have full sunlight all day. Their tops are just withering…

Emma June 9, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Jealous, my beets haven’t done much of anything. I think I need to get fresh seeds and give up on the stored ones.

Ninabi June 9, 2011 at 5:31 pm

I love beets so I loved this post! Beautiful food you are growing. There’s nothing like fresh beets.

javalady62@gmail.com June 9, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Those are LOVELY. Would you please do me a favor, and eat my entire life supply of beets? I can’t stand ’em. Sorry!!

kathy June 9, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Don’t feel bad, we take pictures of our food all the time, and we don’t blog!

Emily June 9, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Lovely! Our beets also did amazingly well this year, though they’re done thanks to the heat now. Lots of Beet and Carrot soup for us! And the greens I discovered for the first time are positively wonderful quickly sauteed in olive oil and drizzled with balsamic vinegar. I’ll have to keep an eye out for this pretty mix next year.

jan June 10, 2011 at 5:25 am

Your beets are beautiful!! Mine have nice, lush tops….but so far, are not producing any sizeable roots.

Sondra June 10, 2011 at 6:57 am

Beautiful beets!!! I have never seen orange or yellow beets before, very interesting.

Danielle June 13, 2011 at 12:26 pm

I love beets! And the color is absolutely beautiful (I would have taken a picture too!). I’m participating in a crop share this summer, so I’m overly excited every time I pick up my goodies- not much beats fresh veggies.

On that note, we’re so excited to have been able to feature you on our Birds & Blooms blog. I’m sure our readers will enjoy reading your blog as much as we do!

-Danielle, assistant editor-digital, Birds & Blooms

Tomato Lady June 13, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Thank you, Danielle! It’s great to “meet” you! I LOVE Birds & Blooms and it’s a real treat to be your Blog of the Week.

Portia McCracken June 13, 2011 at 7:41 pm

I have to share a blog with you folks:
Poor Girl Gourmet: http://poorgirlgourmet.blogspot.com/search/label/chickens

I think you’ll enjoy it and find the Poor Girl a kindred spirit.