Math Facts and Spelling and Phonics, Oh My!

by Ivory Soap on 08/31/2011

I don’t do well with a big list of assignments.  And for school, my children have phonics, states/captials, poems, catechism, and history dates to memorize.  Do your Latin words.  Go over the Ten Commandments.  Mayflower landed when?

Multiply it times three kids….and well, my “To Make Them Do” list is overwhelming!  So now I’ve reduced it to one thing: Review your cards.

I got an index card binder, pictured above, and filled it with their weekly assignments.  On Sunday afternoon, I sit down and write all their spelling and dates and poetry stanzas for the week are on cards.  I punch holes through any flash cards that came in a pack and pull out whatever cards are now unnecessary.

Once a day, I hand them the little binder (or go through it with them for emergent readers).

History Dates, States/Capitals just behind

First Stanza of "The Flag Goes By"

Latin/Greek Root Flash Cards

Phonics Flash Cards

Catechism QA for Ch 15

Home of Ours August 31, 2011 at 4:10 am

I am a firm believer in the flash card method for learning too. But, my approach is no where near as comprehensive as yours. Very impressed.

Boni September 1, 2011 at 7:35 pm

I don’t see any page-protectors. Where are the page protectors?!?

🙂

Victoria Gibson September 2, 2011 at 8:14 pm

That is a wonderful idea, I may just borrow it. 🙂 I have 5 children, with 4 homeschooling. Plus going to college full-time online myself. That would be so much easier than dragging out all their books every day and the living room looking like a war zone by the time we’re finished. lol

megpop September 3, 2011 at 10:13 pm

I just love that you are catechizing your kids.- Meg – a Catholic convert
P.S. Love this blog! I’ve been following for over a year now. It is one of the few I follow.

Ivory Soap September 4, 2011 at 6:55 pm

I don’t think they make page protectors that tiny….OR DO THEY?!?!?!

Camille September 12, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Great idea, I used to used an index card box. I like this much better. I do make my kids fill in their own spelling words, history dates etc. becaue I think if you write it you learn it quicker.

Jennifer January 19, 2016 at 11:45 am

Love this. This is the best homeschooling tip I’ve seen.