Most Popular Guy in my Home Town

by Ivory Soap on 03/08/2012

I didn’t realize growing up that every town didn’t have a “Freddy.”  He is the grand marshal of our parades, the staunchest supporter at all Clinton Dragons ball games, and a fixture at the best restaurants in town.  He shuffles and swears and smiles through many a pleasant adolescent memory.

Thankfully, he’s still there when I go home, and now one of the local authors has written a collection of stories about him.  It might not mean much to anyone who didn’t grow up there, but I can’t tell.  I’m totally biased.  Go read the sample on kindle here and if you like it, splurge on the $3.03 kindle copy.

queen of string March 8, 2012 at 11:05 am

Every town did have a Freddy and the fact that we no longer do is another illustration of the breakdown in community and a lessening of tolerance. Not every town’s Freddy was as much fun as yours but these people were tolerated and accommodated. Somewhere the willingness to accommodate difference was largely, and sadly, lost.

becca @ visitready.blogspot March 9, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Ours was named Scottie. He loved football and baseball. He knew every player by name. He teased them all and we love him for it.

Jessica March 9, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Crazily, my hometown did have a Freddy. I haven’t seen him there lately though. He was on the older side when I was in high school, so he might be elderly now. We also had a Sally. They both always came to games and cheered the best of everyone. I have many community memories with them also.

Handful March 10, 2012 at 11:50 am

We have a Freddy in my small town as well. And – get this – his name is Fred. Great guy. He lost his mother several years ago but has continued to live in his home because of our great community. He works as a bag boy at our grocery and enjoys talking to everyone. Always has a smile and a kind word.

Kelsey March 12, 2012 at 5:30 pm

My brother is the Freddy of his town. Whenever I tell someone who my family is, they say, “Oh, you’re Josh’s sister. He’s a great guy!”

Kristie March 15, 2012 at 4:00 am

Sweet Freddy! Really great story, but then I too am biased. I love hoe Ray (the author) told his story through others stories.