My First Homespun Wool

by Daisy on 11/06/2012

I recently went to a local spinner’s meet-up at the invitation of a friend, Kimberly, who raises sheep (among other critters).

I took my new antique wheel to get some advice on how to get her up and running, and to meet and watch local spinners do their thing.

I got some good counsel on how to make the replacement footman, how the wheel requires a double drive belt, and how to oil her up.

Unfortunately, like a goof, I forgot to take a camera.

If I had, and sorry to be a tease, I would have taken photos of a circle women spinning on every kind of wheel, photos of every kind of wool (including yak) and nearly every kind of spinner, including one with a lovely Dutch accent and one with an old-fashioned frock and beautifully long, natural gray hair twirled up onto the back of her head.

For show-and-tell, (don’t you miss that from school!) we were treated to blue-ribbon winning pygora goat locks, courtesy of Dawn Brown of Tailfeathers Farms, handmade bobbin lace, and some knitting from drop-spindle spun wool.

Next time, I will bring my camera!

But for now, all I have is this picture of my first homespun wool from my first lesson (on Kimberly’s Ashford Kiwi).

It’s lumpy, it’s bumpy, with all kinds of overspun kinks, but I did it myself.  And Kimberly is indeed a very good teacher.  One day . . .

Thanks for the invite, Kimberly!

Beegirl November 6, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Fantastic! I went to my first class on how to spin with a drop spindle this week. So want to learn how to spin on a wheel! Thanks for sharing!

KimH November 7, 2012 at 11:04 am

Oh, I think its BEAUTIFUL!!! How fun!!

AuntiePatricia November 7, 2012 at 3:03 pm

lovely, ivory. i love things that are not mechanically perfect. i love irregularities, lumps, bumps and bulges. i think your tiny skein is beautiful. congratulations!

beth shaffer November 7, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Looks great to me! I would love to learn one day!

Cathie November 10, 2012 at 7:57 am

Look for a nearby weaving guild also!
You can learn so much from these ladies and weaving your own clothes, etc.
Especially with the winter weather here.

Wanda November 10, 2012 at 10:06 am

I’ve wondered if there were local spinners. I need roving and if I can get it locally all the better. Can you provide a website or email where I might reach one of them. Also, I have a granddaughter interested in learning the art of wool spinning. Thank much in advance for your info.
God Bless

Sally November 10, 2012 at 10:28 am

Keep the beginning yarn! Someday, you’ll want that texture for a project, and you’ll be unable to get it. Believe me. I know.

Paz November 10, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Sounds like fun, are fibery festivals like this held often?

LaPetiteCroissant November 11, 2012 at 7:30 am

Thank you for reminding me how lucky I am!

I had kind of taken for granted my strong fiber community. I was lamenting that I had not entered anything in our guild’s annual sale this year. I went to work the sale yesterday and took for granted the incredible people I know.

I took for granted that I know a lot about textiles. Much more than the general public. I know about how rug looms are different than other looms. I can explain rag rug preparation even though I don’t weave them.

I could tell people with confidence that a certain artist knit the knit (like walking the walk) so her sock yarn would not pool, or make weird color splotches. I would say how long she has been dyeing wool and yarn. I could say what I liked about her batts and her as a person.

I casually mention how easy it is to spin, and that I teach a two hour class. My weaving class is a guild staple, so I always have some fiber money coming in- even if I don’t sell my work.

How could I take such a treasure for granted? Thank you for reminding me how very fortunate I am!

Wanda November 12, 2012 at 1:47 am

LaPetite you are lucky indeed!

Daisy November 12, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Paz–I believe they have one every month!

Daisy November 12, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Wanda–You can try Kimberly via her website. Also check Ravelry.

Wanda November 12, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Daisy I will look up her website. Am I right in thinking this is within the Memphis Shelby county area?

Daisy November 12, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Yes, that’s right.

Jessica November 15, 2012 at 11:55 am

I agree with Kathy above. Yarn with texture and chunkiness is something I love to spin but for some reason once you go thin–you can’t go back! Well, you can but it actually takes a lot of concentration for me:)

Wanda November 18, 2012 at 10:27 pm

Different subject: do you know of anyone in the surrounding area that raise and milk goats. I would love to buy some if the price is affordable. Thank you

Daisy November 19, 2012 at 7:03 am

Wanda–Maybe someone who does will see this and respond. I don’t know if the person Deanna bought her goats from still does goats. In the meantime, if you know which breed(s) you want, each breed association usually has a website with a “find a local breeder” feature. Google around and see if you can find your breed association and see if they can lead you to a local source.

Wanda November 19, 2012 at 8:11 pm

I hope someone will read it and reply with where to buy fresh goats milk. I will do as you suggested and google the surrounding area for the goats milk. Thank you