Freezer Cooking Fail: Waffles

by Ivory Soap on 02/13/2013

This was my first freezer cooking attempt with my good friend Missy.  We made waffles all day.  There was really nothing wrong with the recipe.  It’s just that we both have *sensory* kids.  Her’s are anti-crispy when it comes to waffles and most anything else.  Mine are anti-wimpy.  so her kids ate the dickens out of these, and mine turned up their noses.

Anyone have a recipe for frozen waffles that turn out REALLY crispy in the toaster?  Or is that only a magic chemical factory effect that I can’t replicate?

gmorgan February 12, 2013 at 11:59 am

I found that a well-baked waffle freezes the best, if you want a crispy toaster waffle. Otherwise, yes, they are kinda floppy and even gooey.
Its not the recipe, tho’, I froze a lot of ‘extra’ waffles and they were gone, no matter how they turned out.

Brad Dawkins February 12, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Cook ‘em up crispy. It’s important to let ‘em cool completely before bagging. In fact, letting them get a bit dry before bagging helps. Any ice crystals on or inside the waffle itself as it goes into the toaster will make it soft. Moisture is the enemy here, but the key is having dry crisp cool waffles go into the freezer bag.

Melanie King February 14, 2013 at 8:37 am

Try toasting the frozen waffles twice. Turn your toaster down to about half of normal and run them through the cycle two times. I don’t know why that works better but it does.

Sarah February 14, 2013 at 8:46 am

I get the lightest, crispiest waffles from a Betty Crocker from scratch recipe that uses buttermilk. And I agree with the other comments that the waffles should be well browned, and left out to dry before freezing, otherwise they squish each other. When I do toast them from the freezer, I knock off any ice crystals and watch them carefully, because there is a short span from crispy to burnt!

marielle February 14, 2013 at 9:44 am

It actually looks like your waffle maker failed. Yes, a good recipe is necessary (an actual waffle recipe, not an all purpose pancake recipe). Something with a touch of sugar to brown, some fat (butter is best) and thicker than a pancake batter (should be scoopable). A yeasted waffle is an amazing thing and delicious but you can still get a good waffle from a nonyeasted batter.

Second, the waffle maker. I really like the Chef’s Choice round belgian one. It has two settings, one for moist inner/crisp outer and the other for crisp all the way through. No wimpy waffles.

Right now my favorite waffle recipe is a high protein coconut flour deal that the family loves and reheats in the toaster like a dream.

Meridith February 15, 2013 at 6:13 am

Try this one:
1 c flour
1 c cornmeal
1/2 c cornstarch
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp soda
1 1/2 c buttermilk (or milk with a little cider vinegar sloshed in)
1/2 c milk
3/4 c oil
2 eggs
1Tbsp sugar

If you’re really detail-oriented, you can separate the eggs and beat the whites stiff. Otherwise, just throw it all in together. The corn meal and corn starch really increase the crispness factor. Enjoy!

Linda February 15, 2013 at 11:30 am

Believe it or not I use Bisquick. My husband eats waffles almost every day for breakfast. I buy the big 6lb box and mix it at once. ( it is at least 4hour process). You will need to adjust the recipe on the box & use at least 2% or butter milk and more veg oil. The batter can’t be too thick or too thin. Start with the thick and as it sits you can thin out with more milk. I have also found the the waffle maker makes the difference. I use an old Sears from the 70′s. It makes a NON Belgium Waffles which is the key. Plus you need to cook them completely (I time them and they cook about 5 min for a 4 square), as if you were going to eat them right away. Let them cool on a cookie cooling rack & when cool freeze in zip lock bags, squeezing as much air out as possible. I package 30 -35 bags of 3 waffles each every month. Hubby heats them in a toaster oven on toast setting but keep an eye on them they will burn quickly when reheating!

Sharon Weaver February 16, 2013 at 5:01 am

I make waffles for my husband and I use Bisquick and I put wax paper between each waffle and he heats them up in the microwave.

barbara February 16, 2013 at 11:55 am

Great information from everyone. Thanks

Shirley February 16, 2013 at 12:03 pm

I agree with everyone else let them dry before freezing them. I usually do my waffles first thing in the morning and leave them lying on drying racks all day then before going to bed bag them and freeze them. I also use the 2 toast system. First time on light thaw and then on the darker setting to give them the crispy texture that the guys love.

William February 16, 2013 at 8:30 pm

I have found that if you don’t get them crispy out of the waffle iron, they will never crisp in the toaster. (Or out of the toaster oven which works well as well.) Using any of the waffle mixes on the market, (bisquick or otherwise), if you don’t let them sit for awhile before bagging they do “mush” some. I also use the gallon size freezer bags; they seem to work better as they are thicker.

Another thing that I do to keep it “mixed up” for the kids, big and small, is make apple cinnamon waffles by putting a half pint jar of Dutch Apple Pie Jam in the batter before cooking, it adds to the cook time but gives you a wonderful waffle.

Above is the websight for the jam, I peel & core the apples then pluse them through the food processer & into the pot. I have gotten it down to 1-1/2 hrs start to finish with cleanup included.

RebeccaKirsten February 18, 2013 at 9:28 am

I agree completely with Brad, they must be completely cool, Ihave the same issue with myself and my children, they have to be a bit crunchy. And his explanation is great.

Mandy February 22, 2013 at 7:59 am

After I let the waffels cool on a rack completely, I put on cookie sheet and freeze in the freezer. THEN I transfer to a plastic bag.
However, now I am trying to get away from plastic, I have had success with freezing pancakes this way – freeze on cookie sheet,
then layer/wrap in cloth napkin or two, and then put in air tight tin, freeze. Will try this next time I make waffles.
Then toast in toaster till crisp, or if making a lot, crisp up waffles in oven- 250-350 till crisp.

momwithaprep February 24, 2013 at 10:25 am

I agree – you MUST cook them thoroughly and let them cool completely before storing. Also, if you didn’t already add a little sugar to your recipe, do so – it helps the crips :) I also flash freeze my waffles before putting them in to store so that they don’t freeze to themselves.

Martha March 24, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Brown well the first time. Cool completely on rack. Freeze individually on baking sheet. Put in plastic bag and suck all the air out with a straw- prevents ice crystals for a longer time. Here’s the magic, though, I just recently discovered: reheat briefly in the waffle iron. This has crisped mine up nicely (without making them too crunchy, which the toaster often does), and I’ve been able to sneak one past my picky eater who likes them ‘fresh’.

Laura May 15, 2013 at 9:07 am

Yes, I do! Sue Gregg’s blender waffles http://www.suegregg.com/recipes/breakfasts/blenderbatterwaffles/blenderbatterwafflesA.htm

For the grain, I use half oatmeal and half millet. Crispy every time! Definitely let cool on wire rack before you freeze. We have had much success with freezing these ( we are a crispy family).

Deanna May 16, 2013 at 8:31 am

I’ve frozen cooked waffles lots of times for toasting. They always turned out nice and crispy when I toasted them, which I loved. We used a toaster oven though so I’m not sure if that makes a difference. But I would agree with the need to let them cool thoroughly before bagging them or else water condensates on the inside of the bag and the waffles get soggy.
I never noticed that the recipe I use is titled “Crisp Waffles” until I read this post. Here it is if you want to try it:

2 eggs, beat until fluffy
1 3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup melted butter or oil
2 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix it all together and cook in a hot waffle iron.

Sarah June 29, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Like the others have said make sure they are 100% cool before attempting to freeze. The other thing that I did to make them crispy when toasted up was to increase the fat content in the recipe.

Diana February 7, 2014 at 3:55 am

Hey Deanna! I’m Diana. :P Just found your blog, and I thought I’d share my recipe for waffles – I’m like your kids, a texture-ish eater, and I like me some crisp in my waffles. These ones hit it every time, and they freeze up perfectly. [Also make flimsy waffles, for those who like them like that.]

Hope that helps!

shari lynne @ faith filled food for moms February 24, 2014 at 8:43 pm

Hi Deanna,
Oh it’s so disappointing with these things happen :( I have a deelish recipe made with coconut oil..YUM I also flash freeze before I put them into freezer bags together. Ours turn out crispy. :)

Here is the link if you like:
My pics are terrible but trust me..this recipe is worth every bit of the extra work! YUM! and my kids ALL love them!
Enjoy!