New Garden Spot Progress

by Daisy on 09/17/2013

IMG_1336

A few weeks ago I showed the new garden area made possible by a storm which took out a large tree.

Since then, I removed two of three nandina bushes and severely trimmed back the winter honeysuckle.

I added more grass clippings and leaves. More to come.

IMG_1340

And built up a center bed where I’ll plant strawberries. As anticipated, I added compost to this area because the wood chips from the tree stump aren’t broken down enough yet.

IMG_1339

The trellis for the muscadines is built. I just have to add wires between the crossbars for the vines to grow on.

IMG_1337

And I planted one little hydrangea. I love them, but have killed three of them in the past. I’m determined to keep this one alive and think this spot is a good one–on the north side of a building with just a little sun, planted in a wide hole with a small “moat” around it to slow the drainage of water, good soil, and plenty of mulch.

IMG_1338

I have more shrubs to remove plus a small cherrylaurel tree to cut down.

IMG_1341

In will go two or three blueberry bushes and probably an Asian Pear (var. Chojuro) to go with the one I planted this spring (var. 20th Century).

No, I don’t really have room for all this, but I’ve ordered it already anyway. I constantly push the boundaries of what will grow in the amount of sun and space I have because I am undisciplined and cannot be stopped by common sense.

I’ll let you know how that goes.

I could tell you how it’s worked for me so far, but something I call amnesiabarrassment has erased all memory of it.

I can’t tell you how handy that comes in when I am fruit tree shopping.

Cinnamon Vogue September 17, 2013 at 11:42 am

I rememver the wood chip issue. Keep us posted on that. I guess the chips will not be ready until next year at the very earliest.

Eargerly waiting to see how the muscadines will do. Especially with the Trellis

Kirsten Mcculloch September 18, 2013 at 12:04 am

I can relate to buying too many trees/plants! But, who could ever resist more blueberries? I have two in pots at the moment, waiting for an appropriate place to put them 🙂

Lori September 18, 2013 at 6:45 am

“I constantly push the boundaries of what will grow in the amount of sun and space I have because I am undisciplined and cannot be stopped by common sense.”

Bahahah! I think we were separated at birth.

cindy September 18, 2013 at 7:10 am

You so remind me of someone I know…myself! Now I need a blueberry bush! As for the hydrangeas, (love them too) they are easily propagated by placing cuttings in water until a root system develops. Maybe you already know this. I have started many plants by doing this. Also, the acidity in the soil affects the color of the bloom.

Cindy

Lisa September 18, 2013 at 8:18 am

If it ends up you don’t have room for the blueberries, put them in large containers. I have five (four Bluecrop and a sickly Draper) in black plastic nursery pots. Just up the size every few years until you get to the largest (or start with the largest, I was cheap and didn’t!). Unless you have some variety that gets really large, they are fine in containers.

KimH September 18, 2013 at 11:56 am

We are indeed kindred spirits.. I live on a tiny lot with very little growing space available but by golly, I’ve got all sorts of edibles and herbs in my yard.. My S/O & my neighbors think Im slightly tetched but thats ok by me.. 😉

Olivia September 19, 2013 at 3:28 pm

I always thought my yard was too shady for fruit trees and such…but I am thinking some come as dwarf trees also. Has anyone tried these?

Daisy September 20, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Olivia–Some dwarf trees really are small, and they can be grown in containers, too. Semi-dwarf can get pretty big, but you can always keep them pruned to the size you want them. As for shade, they prefer full sun, but they will grow in less, they won’t be as productive or vigorous, though, in my experience.