A few weeks ago I showed the new garden area made possible by a storm which took out a large tree.
Since then, I removed two of three nandina bushes and severely trimmed back the winter honeysuckle.
I added more grass clippings and leaves. More to come.
And built up a center bed where I’ll plant strawberries. As anticipated, I added compost to this area because the wood chips from the tree stump aren’t broken down enough yet.
The trellis for the muscadines is built. I just have to add wires between the crossbars for the vines to grow on.
And I planted one little hydrangea. I love them, but have killed three of them in the past. I’m determined to keep this one alive and think this spot is a good one–on the north side of a building with just a little sun, planted in a wide hole with a small “moat” around it to slow the drainage of water, good soil, and plenty of mulch.
I have more shrubs to remove plus a small cherrylaurel tree to cut down.
In will go two or three blueberry bushes and probably an Asian Pear (var. Chojuro) to go with the one I planted this spring (var. 20th Century).
No, I don’t really have room for all this, but I’ve ordered it already anyway. I constantly push the boundaries of what will grow in the amount of sun and space I have because I am undisciplined and cannot be stopped by common sense.
I’ll let you know how that goes.
I could tell you how it’s worked for me so far, but something I call amnesiabarrassment has erased all memory of it.
I can’t tell you how handy that comes in when I am fruit tree shopping.