Prep-Along Prep

by Daisy on 01/17/2014

24419053_BG1

We’ve been very excited by the response to the call for participants in our Prep-Along. So far we’ve had about 110 to join, which we think is very cool.

For those of you who are still thinking about it, feel free to join in at any time in the process.  Here’s the original post where you can declare your intentions in our comments section: LHITS Prep-Along

If you’d like to declare with something unique and think all the good responses have been taken, I suggest stating the most likely reason you think you may someday need to be prepared, the longest you’ve ever been without utilities, or your favorite campout food.  Me: Ice storm, 14 days, roasted snipe.

Week 1 will begin on Monday, Jan. 20. While we wait for the *fun* to start, over the weekend we ask that you gather up a binder and some tabs. No need to get fancy or worry about the type or condition. I plan to plunder that shelf in the closet where I stash the slightly sad but still useable leftovers from the end of the last school year that were too nice to throw away but too “last year” for anyone to get excited about re-using at the beginning of this year.

So, keep on joining in, and get your binder and tabs ready!  We’ll be back on Monday with the first real assignment.

Sherry Cioci January 18, 2014 at 5:57 am

Ice storm, one day, roasted marshmallows. We had a fireplace at that time so I guess I have been pretty lucky compared to others. My hubby has been wanting me to so this for quite some time. I am so glad to have some guidance. Because you never know when that zombie apocalypse is going to happen (lol).

Ruthie January 18, 2014 at 6:47 am

Reason for prepping: tsunami/ice storm/volcano (ahem…we live on the Olympic Peninsula)
Longest time with out modern convieniences: two years
Favorite camp food: camp cobbler made from berries picked while hiking through the woods. Yum!

Cyndi January 18, 2014 at 7:44 am

Last fall, a tornado knocked out the power for about 3 days. thankfully we have a generator that we plugged our refrigerator, freezer and a power strip into. Into the power strip we alternated lamps, phone and Kindle chargers, a radio, a space heater and hot plate. We also have oil lamps and candles for emergency lighting and supplement to heat. It’s surprising how much heat a lamp or candle can put out. We had plenty of food in the freezer so we stayed pretty comfortable.

Dairy Maid January 18, 2014 at 8:36 am

5 days during an ice and ongoing snow storm that just would not stop. I was prepared with all the groceries we could ever need, lots of firewood for cooking and warmth, and even a hand-powered coffee grinder. We’d had the house insulated so it never got below 50 inside, which made it bearable (believe it or not). We had some good meals, read a lot, talked a ton, and really enjoyed our time together.

It was actually an interesting exercise and kind of fun, in that we learned we could definitely survive and even thrive. I felt bad for the cats, though — they were quite chilly and we couldn’t warm up their snuggle pads. I knit little hats for them. That served to take their mind off the cold, anyway!

Diane January 18, 2014 at 8:40 am

Prep along challenge

Daisy January 18, 2014 at 8:44 am

Dairy Maid–I think I want to be one of your cats.

Debbie J January 18, 2014 at 8:58 am

We live in the country and lose the electricity on a regular basis. Sometimes up to a week. We have propane to have heat and to cook, but I’d you have nothing to cook, then you are up a creek.

Angelica January 18, 2014 at 10:59 am

Earthquake/fire/drought/brown outs. Think the longest I’ve been without utilities involuntarily is a couple days? Now that I run the household I want it to be as comfortable as when something like that happened in my youth. My parents had everything we ever needed. Except a generator, but that thought probably never entered their heads. Favorite food? Cheesecake or strawberries. 🙂

lisa January 18, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Though I don’t consider myself a prepper, I do try to make sure my family is prepared for short term power outages and water shortages. Because we live simply it’s easy to view unforeseen circumstances as challenges or even adventures. It’ll be interesting to learn other’s ideas and points of view. I’m in~!

Annie January 18, 2014 at 12:26 pm

Can’t remember how long, but it’s happened, many times, power out, without water, and wishing I’d prepped more. We are working on becoming independent, with chickens, ducks and Guinea hens. We have our own well, and some nut and fruit trees planted. This spring we plan to add more food trees, more garden, and rabbits to the homestead. We also plan to build a greenhouse for year round growing. I don’t believe you can ever be too prepared!

Hilary Milner January 18, 2014 at 3:08 pm

I live in SoCal and experienced both the 1971 San Fernando and 1994 Northridge quakes (the 20 year anniversary of Northridge was yesterday and the news stories sure bring it right back to mind.)
We all learned to stock water and sleep with good shoes nearby but I want to expand on this and get more comfortable.

CreekerMomma January 19, 2014 at 8:22 am

Tornado or worse
3 days
pancakes, bacon and coffee at sunrise

Patti January 19, 2014 at 4:56 pm

Need to redo what I did before. Kids found 72 hr kits and ate most of the food in them. At least I know I picked something they will eat, but need to start again. Thanks for the push

Erin February 5, 2014 at 9:50 am

Just joining–better late than never!
*Tornado
*2 days without water, never more than 1/2 day without electricity
*I don’t camp… the only reason I would camp is in the case of an emergency… so… no camp foods for me…