Plantain, that pesky lawn and garden weed, makes a soothing salve for itches, bites, burns, rashes, sore muscles and strains.
Using the plantain-infused oil we made in this post, here’s a recipe for an easy-to-spread salve to keep in store for all the times someone in your family says “I’m itchy!” and “Ouch!”
makes 7-8 oz.
6-7 oz. plantain-infused oil
1 oz. beeswax
Optional: 1/2 tsp. EACH tea tree essential oil and vitamin E oil
1. Melt beeswax over a hot water bath.
2. Pour in plantain oil and stir until the two are completely combined. 6 oz. will yield a medium-soft salve. 7 oz. will yield a softer, creamier consistency.
3. Stir in the tea tree and vitamin E now if you are using them. Tea tree essential oil has anti-bacterial properties and vitamin E helps as a preservative, but the salve works fine without them.
4. Pour into clean jars and allow to cool before screwing on the lids.
5. Take all the spills and residue from bowls, etc., and smear it all over yourself until you are greased up like a competitive body-builder and can barely type on the keyboard.