January

by Daisy on 01/14/2015

I remarked recently on Facebook that the thing I like about January is that it’s as far away from next January as possible, and that’s pretty much the truth. However, there are a couple of other things I can stand about January:

New Year’s Day grub, like blackeyed peas, , , ,

IMG_5598

. . . and fresh-cooked greens

IMG_5596

Citrus, like these blood oranges and Meyer lemons . . .

IMG_5630

. . . and kumquats (and Meyer lemons). . .

IMG_5657

. . . and eating kumquat-lemon marmalade on waffles.

IMG_5680_2

Which, by the way, is a perfect way to spend any and all January weekends; eating big, lazy breakfasts slathered in marmalade. And then making more marmalade. I’ve made three batches so far: kumquat-lemon, orange-lime, and ruby red grapefruit. They’re all good, but as a huge grapefruit fan, I have to say the grapefruit is my favorite.

How are you spending your January weekends?

Blair January 14, 2015 at 12:32 pm

Can you share your marmalade recipe? I’ve never made a maramalade before, I guess because I always thought it was tricky. I’m scared to put $ and effort into it and then it not turn out.

Daisy January 14, 2015 at 12:59 pm

Blair–I recommend this as a good starting point: http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2014/02/kumquat-marmalade-recipe/
He also has links to at least 2 other marmalade recipes within that post. Basic, reliable, and chef-tested. Plus, small batches so you don’t have to worry about ruining a lot of produce. Try it!

Amanda January 14, 2015 at 5:02 pm

Yum! I have read that kumquats are hardy and we can grow them throughout most of the US… Haven’t had a chance to try, though. I just love marmalade.

Daisy January 14, 2015 at 5:26 pm

Amanda–I’ve heard that, too. Still haven’t taken the plunge into citrus growing, though. Maybe one day.

Katiehomemaker January 15, 2015 at 7:52 pm

Thanks for the marmalade inspiration! I have been spending some spare time dying wool roving with Kool-Aid. It is so fun and it actually works! January is a great time to find something new to try!

Daisy January 17, 2015 at 8:08 am

Katiehomemaker–I agree, January is a good time to do the things we don’t take time for when the gardening’s good. The Kool-Aid must be a bright antidote to winter.