Scary

by Daisy on 02/19/2015

IMG_3218

Boo.

In an attempt to prevent the loss of the peach and plum buds which were just starting to swell, I inadvertently created a couple of ridiculous ghosts in the backyard yesterday.

In what can only be described as a random act of horticultural cruelty it went down to 9 degrees FOR ONE NIGHT. It’s apparently part of the “Siberian polar vortex.”

IMG_3220

It’s too soon to tell if the buds are ok. I’m still hoping for some peach blossoms. Those deep pink, crepey blooms are so pretty. And of course peaches are even better.

IMG_3221

Freezing rain expected tonight, but nothing below the 20’s temp-wise.

Siberia: You can have your weather back.

Sue February 19, 2015 at 3:48 pm

Ah yes. Here in NC it was down to 17 last night, forecast down to 8 tonight. Of course my two rabbit does are due to kindle (give birth) tonight and tomorrow. They can deal well with cold weather up to a point, but I feel like we are pretty well past that point now, especially for the doe that is having her first litter. We’ve moved them into the shed until it warms up a bit.
Good luck with your fruit trees!

The Pumpkin Life February 20, 2015 at 6:55 am

Eeek. The UK has been watching your weather intently. The last polar vortex you had sent the UK into two months of record breaking rainfall and 1:100 year floods.

Still, its nearly spring! I hope your peaches prevail.

Daisy February 20, 2015 at 7:52 am

TPL–It’s still frigid here, but not as bad, lows in the 20s. More warm days ahead. It’s been quite a yo-yo experience temperature-wise all month. Looking forward to March. Fingers still crossed on the peaches! Hope the vortex misses you.

Daisy February 20, 2015 at 7:53 am

Sue–Aw. I hope the rabbits do well. I’m sure they appreciate the shed!

Bonnie North February 21, 2015 at 8:05 am

Hi Daisy,

It’s so cool (no pun intended) that you are espaliering your trees, but that’s not the point!

I hope your trees with get through the weather stresses you’ve been experiencing. I hope you will give us a quick update. Stupid question: do you use plastic tarps if you expect freezing rain, or is there anything else you can do to protect your plants in that case?

Here in the Canadian snow belt (it really IS called the snow belt), we have not broken sub zero weather all month. That is a record. Last weekend, the outside temperature was about -28C, with a windchill of (set your faces to stunned…) -41C. Yes, -41C. Our heated birdbath froze over – it has been doing that more often this winter.

Hoping for warmer days – but without crazy extremes, and no drought…sigh.

Daisy February 21, 2015 at 9:55 am

Bonnie North–I’ve always loved espalier. I know mine aren’t perfect, but it’s fun to try. I’ll be sure to post pics of the trees in bloom if they make it. As far as covering them for freezing rain, I’m no expert. I usually just grab something handy and toss it on there with little planning or research. Bad tree mommy. I’ve heard, counterintuitively, that ice can actually protect limbs from extreme temps. I need to look into it further. I’ve heard of orchardists spraying water on their trees on purpose to give them an insulating layer. Interesting concept. In weather like yours, a whole other set of rules applies, I’m sure. I wouldn’t know where to begin in sub-zero temps. Plant igloos, I guess. I salute you!