Weed Flower ID, Please?

by Ivory Soap on 06/29/2015

photo 1 (2)

As I said before, our goats passed and we have been avoiding our yard. We don’t want to mow. And, if you’ve been on this site for a few years, you know that we LOVE plant and bug identification. I couldn’t catch the cool zebra-looking dragonfly with my camera, but I did grab a bunch of weeds. I know some. Maybe you know the others?  Left to right, in the above picture, we have white clover, dandelion, purple clover, fleabane (kids call it “baby daisies”), and plantain (affectionately known here as “pop guns” for their lovely shooting potential.)

Below, we have the stuff I don’t know.  Anyone know the names?

photo 5 (2)One of the middle yellows has to be buttercup, but I don’t know which one. They’re not quite the same. Lemme turn them up to the camera so you can see:
photo 1 (3)
Ooh, and did you notice my pretty ring? I just got it! I have a GORGEOUS wedding set that I never wear. I constantly scrape the babies with it; it gets really gross stuff in it that I’m never confident is actually removed; and water gets in between the bands and I have light little scars from the skin reaction. SO, I marched into Jared’s and said, “I want a wide, flat, ring made of something I could put in the dishwasher AND I want my kids names engraved on the OUTSIDE.” They had never heard of that.   Anyway, 10mm band stainless steel, all five kids names, 100 bucks. If I lose it, I can get another. They love turning it to find themselves. And I get to look married. And the diaper cream wipes off.

Now, back to the plants. Anyone know these?
photo 4 (2)
Or these?
photo 3 (2)

Daisy June 29, 2015 at 5:54 am

2nd photo, on the far left, that’s smartweed. Don’t let it go to seed! It gets everywhere! Next to it appears to be ranunculus acris, or tall buttercup, next to it might be ragwort.
The grasses, I don’t do grasses.
3rd pic, looks like dock on the far right. Hard to tell from the photo.

April June 29, 2015 at 6:05 am

That one is surprisingly not dandelion, it looks like smooth cats ear
Yes that is a buttercup variety, with out seeing the entire plant it came off of though, it’s a little hard to pin point the exact one.
the one next to the buttercup looks like an echinacea or coreopsis or aster variety but I cant figure it out from your picture. The lack of the entire plant makes it difficult for me.
The other pictures I can only tell they are grasses, sedges or rushes

A June 29, 2015 at 6:26 am

love that band! You might be on to something!

Cinnamon Vogue June 30, 2015 at 9:48 am

HA HA HA. Funny wedding ring story. All 5 kids, how sweet. $100 bucks.

Don’t like weeds and don’t care to know them. Dandelions are the worst because there is no stopping them. Unless you spray a whole load of chemicals and watch our lawn like a hawk.

reuben June 30, 2015 at 7:15 pm

That is not dandlion in the top pic. Dandilion is a very usefull weed you can eat it in salads, make a coffee substitute by drying baking and grinding the roots the flower itself can be used for its redily shed yellow pigments or if you are so inclined you can use it to make an alcohole for drinking. Among other uses. But it has a single bright yellow flower on a hollow stem that when broken will exude a milky substance which may help the ich of a bug bite.

Erin July 3, 2015 at 8:14 am

I don’t think the one on the right in the top photo is plantain. I think this is what plantain looks like:
At least, this is what I’ve been picking and using as plantain for the past few years!

Daisy July 3, 2015 at 8:58 am

Erin’s right, Deanna. Not plantain, and plantain doesn’t “shoot” either. Do you have a pic with the foliage of that plant? The photo in this post where I made a plantain-infused oil for salve hasn’t any blooms on it, but you can see the difference in the leaves.

Ivory Soap July 5, 2015 at 7:26 pm

It’s a narrowleaf or ribwort plantain. We have two varieties here. Broadleaf and narrow leaf. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantago_lanceolata