Overwhelmed

by Daisy on 07/11/2015

IMG_6454

Lately I’ve been feeling overwhelmed. Outnumbered.

There’s fluoride and prescription medicine in the water.

Glyphosate is in everything.

Even “organic” food isn’t organic.

Milk is contaminated with hormones that make children reach puberty too fast.

The fillings in our teeth are poisoning us, root canals will kill you, and those wisdom teeth extractions, tonsillectomies, and appendectomies? Unnecessary and harmful. Antibiotics are paving the way for cancer.

Toothpaste, sunscreen, deodorant, lotion, etc.? Will kill you.

Those BPA-free plastics you’ve been buying? Worse than BPAs.

Don’t get me started on GMOs.

And it’s 5:45 a.m. and the rooster I’m not supposed to have (hatchery mistake) just started crowing.

The problem with saying, just calm yourself down and do your best, is that it’s never enough when you’re a parent. It’s one thing to look out for oneself, but when defenseless kids are in your care, and you’re responsible for establishing a healthy future for those kids, you can’t stop looking out, trying to make things better.

And all that concern about carcinogens is one thing in theory, but once you’ve watched someone die of cancer right in front of you it takes on a whole new urgency.

One of the problems is looking like a kook. Paying more for organic, using non-toxic methods, advocating against the status quo, I run up against those who smile patronizingly and say I’m being duped or I’m overreacting or the FDA is okay with it so what’s the problem? Or, I’ve done it/used it for years and I’m not dead yet so it must be okay.

The schools and municipalities spray Roundup on every errant weed, big ag uses it to “mature” their GMO crops for harvest, the bees are dying and our biggest food producing state is in its fourth year of drought.

And it’s 6 a.m. and the rooster is crowing again.

I am going to calm myself down, and I am going to do my best, and I know there are other people out there working a lot harder than I am to help make things better for all of us. There need to be more of us, though.

And that rooster is going to the farm. Today.

Melissa July 11, 2015 at 12:16 pm

Oh I hear you surprise rooster and everything! Sometimes it makes you wonder if those amish are onto something huh? And why do they have to crow ALL DAY LONG?! Good luck with the trip to the farm.

Daisy July 11, 2015 at 12:25 pm

Melissa–Thank you for your commiseration! The trip to the farm was good, he’s trying to establish himself (only roo in the flock-shouldn’t be too hard) and I got to talk gardening. Hope it works out.

A July 13, 2015 at 7:29 pm

Amen sister! Amen.

Kelly July 14, 2015 at 4:06 am

I’m right there with you! Cancer issue and all. We’ve even recently had family members want to cut off contact with us because of vaccination issues. I just want my kids to grow up healthy and find spouses who are like minded, to not be brainwashed by the world around them.
I have found that when I feel overwhelmed my faith in Jesus always comforts me. Not to offend if you are not a follower, yet it is along the same lines. Just as many people scoff at my faith as they do the toxicity around them, yet I have comfort in knowing YHWH is in control and Jesus is returning, that we live in a fallen broken world, yet it will all be made right one day….a stronger foundation and a good perspective to start from in all this mess. πŸ™‚

Rebecca Sein July 14, 2015 at 5:32 am

Honey,
I get it.We moved to mountains of Colorado, to break away from the evils of society’s in the 1980’s. Back to organic, homemade, wild hunted,home raised and self sufficiency
In deciding to home school we ran smack up against the govt. who threatened to jail us , fine us and take our children.
Even when you feel overwhelmed , outnumbered and out of sync, remember there are MANY who have broken up the ground you are now working. My older generation may not be as visible or vocal but we are busy breaking new ground.
Walk according to your conscience , not the roar of the norm.Your children will thank you for it!

linda July 14, 2015 at 9:05 am

(((hug))). Just (((hug)))

Vanessa July 14, 2015 at 9:13 am

Oh, I hear you! Sometimes it’s all too much, isn’t it? The kids and I were talking about what the world might be like when they’re ready to have my grandkids, and I was overwhelmed with some worry and sadness. πŸ™ Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Anette July 14, 2015 at 11:21 am

Check out page 11 Randy Thomasson Hosts Live with Lou

Shelly July 14, 2015 at 12:20 pm

As I started reading your post, I called to my husband and said, “Hey, this sounds like me. Listen.” As I read aloud and got further into it, I just started crying. There are days when it is SO hard to be a mom and wife and try to do what’s best for your family. I get so very discouraged. Totally overwhelmed! I HATE going to the grocery store – everything there shouts “POISON” to me. We do have homegrown eggs and meat – for which I’m very thankful – and the garden is coming along. I just always feel like I should be doing MORE! I get so discouraged that I don’t even want to fix meals – because there will inevitably be “something” on the table that is bad for us. (The perfectionist coming out!) I feel that I just can’t do it all. Then I take a deep breath and pray. It may not make things better right now, but I know Who holds our future. No matter what I’m struggling with now or what my family will face in the future because of our fallen world, God will be with us. I really don’t care about looking like a “kook” because of homeschooling or GASP! requiring my children to dress modestly at the local swimming pool (that includes shirts for the boys), or a myriad of other things, but I do miss companionship. Other like-minded moms and I are so busy trying to do our best for our families that we’re barely keeping our heads above water. So, I plow ahead. It does help to find a few minutes to visit websites such as yours. I am NOT alone in my struggles! I just want someone to lay it all out for me and say, “This is the right thing. Do it!” Even then, I would fail. “Thank You, God, that Your mercies are new every morning! Thank You, Jesus, for giving me the hope of eternity. Thank You, Holy Spirit, for ever being my comfort and guide.” For even in my struggles, I do have hope. Here’s to always doing our best at any given moment (which could be vastly different than at another moment!) and always being willing to learn something new. Thank you for your post!

tealady3 July 14, 2015 at 2:11 pm

I agree with so many of your points, especially about our food. The only thing that I do have an issue is about some of the medical. My son who is 32 and had to have his tonsils removed he had snoring problem plus they were so swollen that you could not see down his throat.

I have to agree with Shelly life does get so hectic that we lose our self’s, that’s when I just get a cup of tea and spend time with Jesus. I have said a prayer that we all get the time and relief that we need.

ann foshee July 14, 2015 at 2:28 pm

Do your best, and leave the rest…………Angels do no more. OR just do the next indicated right thing.

Faith July 16, 2015 at 5:57 am

I just had a conversation like this regarding mac n cheese with a friend! I told her that my kids will eat Annie’s organic and she told me they were bought out (which I knew) and so she switched to Horizon organics. Yeah well…Horizon was bought out in 2004 by the huge conglomerate Dean Foods and is under investigation for not living up to their advertising and pawning off non-organics as organics. She was horrified. As a long time RN I am deeply disturbed by the huge increase in auto immune diseases…I do the best I can with the full knowledge that it probably will not be enough because the very air, water and soil we dwell in and on are contaminated beyond our control. Still…

farmkiti July 17, 2015 at 7:57 am

I know what you mean about the rooster. I used to have one that I rescued from being a fighting cock (along with his girlfriend) and he started crowing every morning about 4 am. OMG! We got kinda used to it and grew to like it (a little) after a while.

And just take comfort that you’re doing all you can for your kids. I personally come from an older generation and never got into all the natural stuff. I eat and absorb chemicals and all that stuff; who knows what it’s doing to me. I mean, I grew up with two parents smoking us out in the family car and at home and guess what, I have asthma. Oh well. It may be too late for me, but you’re doing it for your kids and they will be much better off for it. Take comfort in that. Then take a nice hot bath and relax. You deserve it.

Melissa Morris July 31, 2015 at 2:34 pm

You are not alone! Gives tangible meaning to the phrase “ignorance is bliss!”