I’m SICK! Sore throat, congestion, cough, aches, blah, blah, BLECH! But, I have to admit, I feel pretty decent now that I engaged in a little home remedy dabbling.
HOT MEDICINAL SOUP (recipe adapted from here)
Makes 1 serving
1 large clove garlic
1 T olive oil
1 tsp sliced ginger
1/2 tsp turmeric
cup chicken broth
salt to taste
(Optional: get really fancy with the herbal-osity and add shitakes.)
1. Press garlic into your coffee cup. Leave for 5 minutes. Some of the most healing bits about garlic only happen when the allicin gets to develop. It will be STRONG after this.
2. Use garlic press for the ginger. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir. (OR not, I happen to like poached eggs in my soups, like when I get nabeyaki udon at Fuji Cafe.)
3. Nuke for a few minutes to make sure that egg is done.
6. Be shocked at how incredibly hot this stuff is and make the recipe below while it cools.
HOT MEDICINAL TUBBY
Makes 1 tubby
1/4 c epsom salt
1/2 T baking soda
1/2 T dry mustard
handful of rosemary sprigs
3 drops eucalyptus or tea tree oil
1. Toss your handful of rosemary in the micky and nuke for a couple of minutes. Leaves will now easily brush off the stem. Nuke it one more time till crumbly.
5. Remember eucalyptus/tea tree oil just before you turn the water on.
8. Close the shower curtain (outside the tub) and enjoy a 15-20 minutes soak, sipping soup and squishing that little bag in the water.
EDIT 11/18: This is not NEAR enough bath salts et al for my deep tub. The rosemary was plenty, but I tried it again with extra tea tree oil and an extra CUP of epsom….MUCH better. I was out of dry mustard for the second round and squeezing french’s in there just seemed ewww. But, I think one would need at least 1/4c to reach the right level of mustard to have the whole hyper-circulation effects talked about here. See this recipe and this recipe and answer #4 on this post also.
1. After all of that, you will be HOT. But still bundle up, get in the bed, and sweat it out for a bit…hoping for a snooze.
2. Hear toddler destroying something in the other room and get up.
3. Realize that there’s no way on God’s Green Earth that you are going to get a nap out of this.
4. Make more soup.
Disclaimer: This post may contain a link to an affiliate.