Seed Stitch Hot Pad (or “Trivet” for you fancy folks)

by Daisy

I. Love. This. Pad!

Or THESE pads, I should say. I’m making a bagillion (read: five.)

I am not a fancy table setting lady, so I use potholders as hot pads. By the time all of the dishes are on the table, I’m pulling things out of the oven with a wadded denim apron. Not good. But these little guys work up super fast, can be made to any size, and remind me of those wicker things my mom used to put our paper plates on. Utility AND nostalgia.

Jute Hot Pads (Not a pot holder IMO, just a table protector)

K-needle
#20 Jute, or as I like to call it ‘The Skinny Jute’, as opposed to ‘The Boat Rope Jute’. It’s a natural fiber found in the same hobby stores as regular yarn, but usually in a totally different section. If you can’t find it, ask someone with a name tag to point you in the right direction. I did.

Ch 25.*

1. Sc in second ch from hook. Sc in third. Ch 1, skip 1. Sc in fifth. (Ch1, skip 1. Sc in next) repeat to the end. You should end on a sc. (24 stitches)

2. Ch1, turn. Sc in first sc. Turning chain DOESN’T COUNT FOR JACK. Sc in Ch1 space. (This means you should have two singles back to back. One in the last sc from the previous row and the space created by the last ch1 of the previous row.) (Ch1, skip 1. Sc in next ch1 space) repeat across. (24 stitches)

3-21. Repeat Step 2. Feel free to add or subtract rows if your stitches are different thean mine. You’re going for a SQUARE.

You can border it if you like (Ch1 turn, sc around evenly, join with sl st), but I find that jute goes WAFFLY in an instant and I REFUSE to block a hot pad. Refuse!

Fasten off and weave ends in your customary manner.

*To alter the size, make your foundation chain ANY odd number and work for as many rows as you wish following the exact same directions, but ignoring my stitch count.

This pic makes it look pointy (it’s not), but you can see more of the mat.

Ivory

Disclaimer: This post may contain a link to an affiliate.

Lisa Johnson June 7, 2009 at 1:01 pm

How much yardage is required for this pattern?

Thanks,

LJ

ivorysoap76 June 8, 2009 at 12:27 pm

I don’t know. Not much. I used less than half of one of those buck-fifty skeins in Hobby Lobby.

Cassie February 3, 2010 at 12:08 am

Thanks so much for the pattern! I am loving my new pot holders.

too-ee February 11, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Can you wash these? It would be a great placemat if you can.

Ivory Soap February 16, 2010 at 8:54 am

too-ee–I’ve been asked that before. I haven’t tried. Sorry!

sarajean80 March 4, 2010 at 2:18 pm

I’ve made body and pot scrubbies with jute and it is machine washable. ( FYI, so is sisal, if you want to use that instead) The more you wash it, the softer it gets; that’s not so good for a scrubber but fine for a hot pad.

too-ee April 14, 2010 at 7:22 pm

thank you! I am going to get started 🙂

Carolyn Whiteman August 20, 2012 at 6:21 pm

I am trying to refind a jute hot pad in the shape of a fish but don’t know which website it was. The body of the fish was a circle shape. I was wondering if it used to be on this one, or if you have seen it and can help me. Thanks

Ivory Soap August 21, 2012 at 5:43 am

not me, sorry. that would be hilarious, though.

Dee Dee September 1, 2012 at 12:51 pm

I do not sew (except for repair or buttons) does anyone sell the seed stitch Hot Pads (or trivets) already made ???

Mel the Crafty Scientist May 19, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Love this project – such a great idea and I’m amazed by the weaving/stitching! Just wanted to let you know I featured you in my roundup of jute craft projects here. Feel free to check it out if you want and hope you like it! : )

-Mel the Crafty Scientist

Joanie Wharff April 2, 2014 at 1:07 pm

Love your website. And, your descriptions….the humor is Great!…???? … I love a chuckle Anyday! ???? ????
And, of course the ” trivet” is great too!
Thanks …
Joanie in Texas

Joanie Wharff April 2, 2014 at 1:16 pm

Ok…that is weird….I used a cute little smile face, & it came out a question mark??? Computers are too weird!
Joanie

Marsha April 27, 2014 at 9:35 pm

Thank you for sharing this idea! First I tried making one out of some blue jute I had picked up at Target but it must have been much thinner than the jute you used. The square I made looked like it was smaller than yours and not thick enough to protect a table from something hot even though I used a smaller hook. I made a second one and crocheted them together and though small, at least its thick enough now. I don’t have much in the way of craft stores nearby so I tried a hardware store where I found some heftier jute that worked fine with a K hook. The quality probably isn’t as good as the jute you would buy at a craft store but it turned out well enough.