Tawashi Cloth

by Daisy on 04/16/2009

Not absorbent, but scrubs like nothing I’ve ever seen. Especially good if you have any of that leftover baby yarn with the fine thread woven in. Texture is everything.

And in case you’ve guessed my secret, yes, this was going to be a baby blanket gift originally. But I *hate* patterns that expect me to evenly join a bunch of squares, because I can’t. So instead, I scrub pots with them, muttering to myself, “I hate dried on food AND crocheted squares!! I don’t care which one of you disintegrates first! You both deserve it!” Maybe that’s over the top. But maybe it’s not.

Tawashi Cloth

G or H needle, ACRYLIC yarn.
ch 5 join with sl st to make ring.

Round 1: ch 3[counts as dc], dc, ch 1, (3 dc, ch1) 3 times, dc and join
Round 2: ch3, dc *(dc ch1,dc,ch1,dc) all in ch1 sp, 3dc. Repeat from * 3 times; dc and join.
Round 3: ch3, 2dc, *dc in ch sp, ch1, dc, ch 1, dc in ch sp, 5 dc. Repeat from * 3 times; 2 dc and join.
Round 4: ch3, 3dc, *dc in ch sp, ch1, (dc ch 1 dc) in next st, ch 1, dc in ch sp), 7 dc. Repeat from * 3 times; 3dc and join.
Round 5: ch3, 4dc, *dc in ch sp, ch1, dc in next st, ch1, (dc, ch1, dc,) in ch sp, ch1, dc in next st, dc in ch sp, 9 dc. Repeat from * 3 times. 4dc and join.
Fasten off and weave in ends.

I shun you, mini-baby-square-of-insanity-blanket. Eat my microwaved egg residue!!!!

Ivory

Helen Onulak December 10, 2009 at 11:20 pm

I was never a fan of making lots of squares and putting them together…until I found the flat braid crochet method for joining! WOW! Works up beautifully. I used it to put together an afghan our prayer shawl ministry made. It was an afghan with squares made by everyone – some were knit, some crochet. I just single crocheted around all the squares first, then used this flat braid method – whoo hooo! Opens up a world of possibilities.

Maven Koesler January 3, 2010 at 2:22 pm

LOL! You should see my “granny square crocheted by drunk monkeys with their feet” project.

tinamarie February 4, 2010 at 4:52 pm

you continue to crack me up!

Shannon March 26, 2010 at 3:18 pm

The BEST scrubbie I have EVER used was made of that vintage (read: nasty, stiff) macrame yarn that people put hanging indoor plants in. That yarn done with a good size hook (size 7 or so) in a medium dense stitch even cleaned the bbq grill!

Andy March 28, 2010 at 6:51 pm

I know this is an older post but I’m hoping someone stumbles upon it and sees this… My question is, would this work with ‘plarn’? I want to try and make stuff out of all the plastic bags I’ve accumulated, and I though scrubbies would be good. Thoughts?

Lacy April 6, 2010 at 9:32 pm

@ Andy. Never tried it, but I would think it would be too soft? I guess the best way to find out would be to try it!

Ivory Soap May 7, 2010 at 6:46 am

I would think so. Plarn is a great scrubbie.

Myrna June 13, 2010 at 7:08 pm

Helen Onulak had a commet regarding putting small squares together by flat braid method. What is this? thanks I know this was a post in 12/2009 but maybe someone can help me out

H. Shannon October 9, 2010 at 8:29 pm

@ Myrna … found a youtube for it and a few sites … http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qfBKZwqBgE

DebbiePooh October 29, 2010 at 9:15 am

Thanks for the heads up, I didn’t know what to do with the 25 granny squares I made with baby yarn almost 13 yrs ago, that never did see fit to sew themselves together for that baby blanket it wanted to be. Look out pots, Look out pans, Poohs a comin with a bunch of brand new “scrubbies!!!!!!
Reading this has put me in the best of moods. Have a great day!!!!

Terry November 2, 2010 at 3:44 pm

I hate sewing them together, too! Good idea about turning them into Tawashis. However, if I find a pattern I like that requires you to sew the squares I just change the pattern to a join as you go pattern.

Vicky November 28, 2010 at 5:10 am

Geez, I do a random search for Tawashi’s and where do I end up? HERE again! LOL! This is just too funny. Oh, and my olive oil soap finally got hard. Turned out great.

Elaine April 14, 2011 at 8:00 am

I have to agree about connecting squares. I made a really large blanket out of squares, and it sure looked great, but was so heavy, we only used it one year, and I gave it away, after spending a very long time making those squares out of scraps and saving squares for a long time until I had enough. I gave that blanket away, and still don’t want to do any more squares that need to be sewn together!!!