Zucchini Fritters

by Ivory Soap

PICT0044

It’s getting to be that “what-am-I-going-to-do-with-all-this-zucchini” time of year!  Here’s my FAVORITE zucchini recipe.

Zucchini Fritters

2 pounds zukes
salt
1 onion
~1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 eggs
salt and pepper

1. Wash zukes.

2. Grate with uber-cool grandma’s hand-crank grater thingy onto a cloth. Sprinkle with salt and ignore for ten minutes.
PICT0092

3. Twist cloth to squeeze out most of the water.

4. Grate onion and place in bowl with squeezed zukes, eggs, pepper, and enough flour to make it gummy.

5. Fry one patty in 1/2 in hot oil until golden brown. Taste and adjust salt. Cook the rest.

YUM!!!!!
Ivory

Disclaimer: This post may contain a link to an affiliate.

rowena___. July 21, 2009 at 7:24 am

yum! sadly, i might be the first gardener in history to not have too much zucchini. i have only had two so far, the last one was over a week ago, nothing since. my sister is laughing at me for not being able to grow too much. 😀 i might try this recipe with my yellow squash, those are doing very well!

Chele July 21, 2009 at 8:12 am

How much mixture should be in the patties? 1/2 cup?

Jin6655321 July 21, 2009 at 10:36 am

I was JUST thinking about looking up some recipes for zucchinis for dinner today- perfect! It’s fate! I have tried making zucchini fritters before. They turned out well, but kind of… loose. I guess wringing out the water makes a lot of difference.

jeannette July 21, 2009 at 10:56 am

OOOH thank you for the recipe sounds divine!

Beegirl July 21, 2009 at 11:48 am

Looking great! Will have to make these for sure! Love the uber-cool hand crank grater! Wonder if they’d be good dipped in apple sauce like potato pancakes?

Lynnette July 21, 2009 at 4:02 pm

Don’t feel too bad Rowena. The first year I tried to garden I tried to grow zucchini. And failed. No one could believe that I couldn’t grow them… ” I mean they grow like weeds” I was told over and over. Oh well, it makes for a funny story.

karen July 21, 2009 at 4:24 pm

Made these for supper tonight along with cornbread and a glass of buttermilk. I did throw in a handful of cheese since I was eating them solo to add a bit of protein. You are right Ivory, YUM! Luckily I have enough for lunch tomorrow. Will enjoy them along with cukes and ‘maters out of the garden.
Thanks for the recipe.
Karen in NE Indiana
aka grandma chicken

Michelle July 21, 2009 at 4:31 pm

Oooh they look delicious! I am still making the veggie burgers from your recipe that you posted ages ago – thank you!

Kristin July 21, 2009 at 8:49 pm

I will have to try these. My veggie hating husband tried eggplant on a whim last night and LOVED it! If I can make them as appealing as you have, he might be adventurous again 🙂 Thanks for the idea.

Beegirl July 25, 2009 at 12:47 pm

I popped over here the other night to make these and your website was down : (
Writing it down NOW and using your recipe next time!

Kc July 27, 2009 at 5:50 am

Yum..My new found favorite food…I add grated cheese ( romano or parmesan) to the mix. Even my youngest daughter ( the picky -I wont eat it unless its pasta- eater) liked it.

Kc July 27, 2009 at 5:50 am

btw dip them in sour cream.

vincent July 29, 2009 at 10:27 am

Hello,

We bumped into your blog and we really liked it – great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

enjoy your recipes.

and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on “Add your site”

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com

Ivory Soap July 30, 2009 at 9:14 pm

@Kc Oooo, that’ s delicious! And they are my new favorite food too. Mmmmmmm…..

@Beegirl Yes, we’ve had some disagreements with our HOST. But I think everything is ironed out now. That or we will shortly have a new host.

@Kristin Men dig fried things. HA! My husband makes his own now. Rather, I put them in and he BURNS them to his liking. Boys are weird.

@Chele Depends on what you want to happen. For burgers, I use more, for my husbands burnt man-patties, we use less. I like about half a cup. I want some gooey in the middle.

@Karen YAY YAY YAY!!! TL always makes the good recipes. I’m GLOWING.

@jeanette You’re welcome. And, they ARE divine!

@jin#### Yes, wringing out the water is where it’s at. I’ve also tried this recipe with yellow squash and it worked well.

@Michelle That was TL’s recipe. It’s so wrong that I’ve never had those. You should write in and tell her to send me some. Or write me and guilt me into making them.

@Rowena, my love Yes, yellow squash will work. Are you still low on zukes? Sadness.

Mairzie August 4, 2009 at 7:06 am

Oh, my goodness! We made these to have with dinner last night. This is a great recipe and have the family BEGGING for more zucchini. Thank you for sharing this recipe. God bless.

Mairzie

Lindsay August 4, 2009 at 4:03 pm

mmmm..ymmm…mmm. I am eating my first batch and they are SO good. I love the idea to use them as burger patties. I think that’s what will be for dinner. Thanks!

Diana August 5, 2009 at 3:47 pm

I LOVE ZUCCHINI! *ahem*

Thought I’d share a recipe for another type of fritter:

Ivory Soap August 6, 2009 at 8:39 am

@Mairzie, Lindsay–Now I think I”m going to make some more tonight! I wonder if they freeze. Would sure be nice to have these later in the year…

@Diana–YUMMY!

Al September 5, 2009 at 12:44 am

I’ve never had a “fritter” what would you serve them with?

Ivory Soap September 10, 2009 at 11:25 am

@al–corn on the cob? we eat them standing at the stove.