Not-Soy Milk

by Ivory Soap

DSCF0027

This is Ivory’s soymilk maker.  She got it for her b-day from her very understanding parents (a physicist and accountant who poured years of enrichment, travel, and 16 semesters of college/grad school into a child that currently takes great joy in goat poop and regularly twists her ankles throwing chickens.)  Good folks, supporting their aberrant daughter’s alternative lifestyle.

Anyhoodle,  I have to confess that the first batch of soymilk I made was not in-fact soy.  I thought it was, but grabbed the wrong bean:

DSCF0029

The one on the right is soy.  Makes lovely milk, apparently.  I wouldn’t know.  I made NAVY BEAN milk.  I don’t recommend it.

Ivory

Disclaimer: This post may contain a link to an affiliate.

Rebecca November 24, 2009 at 4:52 am

I’ve never seen or heard of one of these. How does it work?

Rachel November 24, 2009 at 8:06 am

So you don’t predict navy bean milk as the next big health food craze?

Carla November 24, 2009 at 8:07 am

Oh, my. I like navy beans but…

Portia McCracken November 24, 2009 at 9:28 am

Please read up on soy before you use it. Besides the inherent wrongness of the genetically modified soybeans (over 90% of all soybeans grown), soybeans have natural toxins and other chemicals that are harmful to adults and children.
For more info:
Newest Research On Why You Should Avoid Soy:
The Truth about Soy: http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/

Michelle November 24, 2009 at 9:33 am

This post made me laugh out loud…good thing I hadn’t just sipped my coffee!

Recluse November 24, 2009 at 5:46 pm

Ditto what Michelle said! LOL!

Kat November 24, 2009 at 5:51 pm

I think the navy beans might make moo-sical milk…
I’ve stooped so low.

Stacy @ Moderate Means November 24, 2009 at 9:57 pm

Made me laugh 🙂 At what point did the navy bean error become obvious? Hopefully it was before tasting it!!

Diana November 24, 2009 at 10:12 pm

Thanks for the laugh! Sounds like I’ll keep making my beans with ham and onions.;)

Handful November 24, 2009 at 11:15 pm

Oh – you do make me laugh!

How does it work?? (With soybeans…) I have made milk with soy flower but not the beans. I would be interested as I live on a grain farm. Do you flavor it then?

Your parents sound amazingly cool with your goat poop ways!

benthe November 25, 2009 at 5:43 am

Hi:)))….hihii…its always good to try something new…:))).

..sending some love from Norway 🙂
xx

JavaLady November 25, 2009 at 7:19 am

I agree…. made me laugh in my bowl of mini-wheats ! But WHY are you ”throwing chickens” ?? I thought you were growing them…………. bwah ha ha ha !!! The other part, about the semesters of college, sounds awfully familiar to me — since I’ve done basically the same thing. I work in an entirely different field than what my 5 year college degree is in, and I’ve now spent two more years in college for this new career. Online classes are great though. Again, thanks for the laugh this morning !! Happy Thanksgiving Holidays to all !

viggie November 25, 2009 at 7:37 am

Too funny! At least you figured out what was wrong before giving up on it 🙂 I have one of those too…it’s wonderful.

M. November 25, 2009 at 9:36 am

My first big laugh of the day! Thanks. I love how real you are with the stories, that you don’t just share the “how to” stuff, but also the “how not to”. It makes it all so doable.

Kate November 25, 2009 at 10:01 am

How was the flavor? Several years ago I asked the folks at rec.food.veg if tofu could be made from other beans. The speculation was that soybeans were the highest in protein and worked the best. I still always did want to try making it with other beans just to see what would happen. I love the idea of navy bean tofu! (Although being a former Coastie, I always have to call them Coast Guard Beans….)

CD November 29, 2009 at 12:45 am

Kelly December 1, 2009 at 9:59 pm

Thanks for the laugh. I almost shot Ovaltine out my nose while reading this post!

tinamarie February 4, 2010 at 4:19 pm

not sure how i stumbled upon the little house in the suburbs … but i’ve been loving my time here all day! this flop made me almost pee my pants … just too funny!

Jaime Kiser February 17, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Waltonfeed.com has some great prices on bulk soy beans. Do they make a machine like this for rice milk?

Ivory Soap February 17, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Jaime–same machine! Also for almond milk or what have you.

Beth June 11, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Oh my gosh….I was howling! LOLOL! Navy bean milk….now that’s a first! I mean, I have heard of bean brownies, but milk……….

Ruth June 16, 2011 at 9:50 am

Since nobody in my family tolerates soy, I decided to try making milk from other kinds of beans. I used great northern beans- but the end result tasted like beans, not milk. I did use it up in smoothies (with plenty of cocoa powder to hide the taste) but now I make rice milk (for me) and almond milk (for my 16yo.)