Shelly Dishcloth

by Ivory Soap

DSCF0017

Shelly Dishcloth

ch 31

Row 1: dc in 4th ch from hook, *skip next ch (4 dc, ch 2, dc) in next ch, skip next 3 ch, dc in each of next 5 ch; rep from * across, ending with dc in each of last 2 ch, turn.

Row2 : ch3 (counts as dc), skip first dc, dc in next dc, *(4dc, ch 2, dc) in next ch-2 space, skip next 4 dc**, dc in each of next 5 dc, rep from *across, ecnding last rep at **, dc in next dc, dc in 3rd cn of turning ch, turn

Repeat Row 2 eleven times.

Dc around, weave in ends.

Disclaimer: This post may contain a link to an affiliate.

Shelly February 19, 2010 at 7:09 am

That is a lovely dishcloth. I especially like the name!

Tanya Walton February 19, 2010 at 8:45 am

this si a very nice stitch…I am currently teaching myself to crochet and I have done a granny square and the scallop…I am very pleased with myself 🙂 Maybe I will be doing something this complicated looking soon!!!!

Michelle February 19, 2010 at 9:48 am

Super cute! Now…if I could just learn how to follow a pattern!!

KeLLy Ann February 19, 2010 at 10:44 am

That is LoVeLy. Thanks for posting the pattern too!

Ursula Anderson February 19, 2010 at 2:52 pm

What a beautiful pattern! Almost too pretty to use! As far as following patterns goes, it’s not as hard as you think. Find out what the shorthand means and write it out in plain English. Alternatively, go to eHow.com and inquire about How to Read a Crochet Pattern. There are some excellent tutorials there.

Alice February 19, 2010 at 8:56 pm

This is great. I think I can incorporate this square into my (patchwork quilt) afgan I am crocheting. Thank you so much for all your excellent tutorials. Your directions and photos are so perfect I can’t go wrong. Not wanting all granny squares but a good variety of different squares and you are a Godsend for info.Best Wishes

Shelley March 2, 2010 at 9:39 pm

This is really pretty. Too pretty for a dishcloth, I think. I especially like the name, as well.

Diane March 23, 2010 at 7:37 am

Finally found a pattern that I will try right away..so pretty,,thank you..

Diane March 23, 2010 at 8:06 am

Just started this pattern ..it is turning out so well ..just wanted you to know..and thank you again

Jo April 8, 2010 at 1:33 pm

What size hook do you use? Please let me know soon.

Bernadette April 26, 2010 at 2:10 am

I’ve been making washcloths to sell on Etsy and on consignment, and this will be another lovely pattern for me to use! Thanks for posting it.

Lisa April 26, 2010 at 6:35 am

I would like to know what size hook you used. If you could let me know soon that would be great. Thank you.

Cherie Estok April 28, 2010 at 11:42 am

What yarn did you use and size of the hook? Thanks!

Ivory Soap May 7, 2010 at 6:33 am

I almost always use an H. Sorry not soon!

Ivory Soap May 7, 2010 at 6:40 am

H

Annalee May 12, 2010 at 10:44 pm

I started crocheting this today out of Red Heart worsted medium 4 acrylic in Dark Orchid, using a J hook. Can you guess what it’s going to be? Definitely not a dishcloth… But the pattern works nicely to fit my new purple netbook into! I think the next step will be lining it so I can put it into my purse without getting yucky crumbs in my laptop. Following that will be some homemade buttons. The blueberry buttons have inspired me to use a fallen branch in a new way. I’m so glad my friend sent me a link to your site… my creative juices are flowing freely again!

Glenna June 18, 2010 at 6:52 pm

At the very end, when you Dc around, did you also Dc in your beginning/foundation row?
Thanks!

Kathy June 25, 2010 at 7:29 am

Can you tell me what the finished size is? I’m making prizes for a bridal shower, and would like all the dishcloths to be about the same size. If I need to make it bigger (10 or 11 inches), can you tell me what the math is for the number of stitches to increase the base chain? Thanks!

Daisy October 14, 2010 at 8:05 am

Hi, there! Love your site.
I’m so sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, I’m a newbie.
In the last instruction for the second row ” dc in 3rd cn of turning ch”, is “cn” another abbreviation for something or did you mean “ch”.
Thanks

Patricia Conklin April 7, 2011 at 4:57 am

What size crochet hook. Also what ply for the yarn. thanks, found some great patterns

Bonnie Hummel February 13, 2013 at 3:21 pm

I cannot find what size hook and what weight and how much yarn. THANKS!!