This is one of those head-slap recipes where we all wonder why we haven’t been doing this all along. Don’t blink, the recipe is going to be over in two seconds.
1. Heat an inch of oil in a skillet over med to med-hi heat.
2. Open bag of corn tortillas and save the shreds.
3. If making tortilla chips for dipping, get a big knife and cut the stack in quarters or sixths.
4. Use shreds to test when the oil is ready. (Should boil like the joker was just dropped in the vat of acid.)
5. When oil is ready, gently slide in tortillas in one layer. Air pockets will rise up on shell as it cooks. This dreadful picture will show you what it looks like:
6. Turn after about one minute. Cook until barely golden in places. Drain on paper and salt. (Works best if salt was buzzed in the coffee grinder first.)
Disclaimer: This post may contain a link to an affiliate.