Homemade Lip Balm

by Daisy on 11/06/2008

This couldn’t get much easier. If you read our Lotion Bars post, you can see these are the same ingredients, only in different proportions. So no more ingredients to buy. And again, two versions–economy and first class. Everyday Jane and Princess. (Accidentally switch them up and you may not be able to tell the difference.)

Everyday Lip Balm

3 T. vegetable oil
2 T. vegetable shortening
1 T. beeswax

Melt shortening and beeswax in double boiler or small pan in larger pan of barely simmering water. Stir in vegetable oil. If you like you can add 3-5 drops essential oil such as peppermint. Lemon or lime is also a possibility, but use caution because citrus oils may increase sun sensitivity for some people. Pour into mold(s) or tiny dishes or reuse clean, empty lip balm tubes or pots. It is ready to use when cool.

Luxury Lip Balm

3 T. avocado oil
2 T. shea butter
1 T. beeswax
1/2 tsp. calendula extract (optional)
3-5 drops essential oil (optional)

Melt shea butter and beeswax in double boiler (or small pan in larger pan of water) warmed just enough to melt the oil and wax. Stir in avocado oil, essential oil, and calendula extract. Pour into molds. Since shea butter can occasionally go grainy if it is overheated, watch it carefully over the heat and cool it quickly by pouring it into shallow containers in a cool room or by putting it in the refrigerator for a few minutes. Ready to go.

The oils and extracts are available through soapmaking suppliers and some health food/nutritional supplement or craft stores.

For containers you can do better than the salt cellar in the picture above. Search “lip balm containers” and you will be on your way to tiny jar cuteness in no time.

Jo November 8, 2008 at 12:53 am

I need to make this… we go through a ton of chapstick every winter and this sounds better. Thanks!

Tomato Lady November 8, 2008 at 1:40 am

It’s so easy. And you can put flavor oils in it, too.

Kalinda August 28, 2009 at 10:27 pm

Soooo….think I could use EVOO and our coconut oil from India (its liquid right now, definitely not a solid!)? Would the end product still set up firmly enough? I’m wanting to get away with just buying the beeswax for this little project (I’m a chapstick-a-holic and would love to make my own!!)

Tomato Lady August 29, 2009 at 9:44 am

Kalinda–Yes, that should work fine, any combination of solid at room temperature fat, liquid fat, and beeswax in that proportion is what it’s all about. And, “solid at room temperature” refers to things such as coconut oil which go solid at reasonably-close-to-room-temperature conditions. And I’m with you on not wanting to buy lots of fiddly things. Yours will be lovely.

Nelie October 22, 2009 at 9:54 am

“Tiny jar cuteness” is a brilliant phrase.

I’ll be making this – and lotion bars – and my own soap – and my own dishcloths – before too long. One thing at a time, of course, and somehow this blog makes me feel like it’s actually possible to achieve.
Now to look up calendulularar extract to figure out what that is.

Darci December 4, 2009 at 2:56 pm

Oh my gosh! Just made a batch of this for Xmas presents, and of course had to keep some for myself…AWESOME!! I made the “regular ole” version, but it’s awesome!! Now onto the lotion bars!

Dylan January 13, 2011 at 11:17 pm

Hi, so i was looking around for beeswax and i didn’t know if there is a special one that should be used for this. Would this kind work?

Tomato Lady January 14, 2011 at 7:14 am

Dylan–Yes, that’s the stuff.

Dylan January 14, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Thank you so much TL! :D

Dylan January 14, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Ah, another question, sorry.
If I wanted to make this with coconut oil, would I replace the vegetable oil or shortening with the coconut oil? or if possible do you think I could replace both?
I have the louana solid at room temp. stuff.
Thanks!

Tomato Lady January 14, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Dylan–Replace the shortening with coconut oil. Feel free to replace the vegetable oil with another liquid at room temperature oil. It’s all good.

Ivory Soap January 15, 2011 at 9:55 am

Yep, that’ll do it!

Ruth June 16, 2011 at 10:27 am

I know an even easier recipe: cocoa butter. I’ve been buying the NOW brand cocoa butter with jojoba oil added, and use it as-is for my lips.

The only problem is that I have a tub on my dresser, but none in my purse in case I need some when I’m out. Where can I find containers?

Melissa September 6, 2012 at 8:31 am

Do you measure the beeswax when it is already melted, or just grated? Thanks!

Daisy September 6, 2012 at 10:55 am

Melissa–Ideally use weight, but second best is melted.