Hugs and Kisses Knitted Washcloth Pattern

by Daisy on 11/24/2008

I can’t stop knitting these. I think it is the sweatery-ness of the cables and ribbing. The chunkiness. The x’s and o’s. All that.

Yarn: Lily Sugar ‘n Cream, colors shown in the photos are Natural and Hot Green
Needles: US Size 6 circular or straights; cable needle

As you begin your pattern stitches, begin and end each row with 4 knit stitches for a garter stitch border–indicated by MB in the pattern stitch section.

C4B: Slip two sts onto the cable needle and hold to the back of the work. Knit two stitches. Knit the two stitches from the cable needle.
C4F: Slip two sts onto the cable needle and hold in front of work. Knit two stitches. Knit the two stitches from the cable needle.

All the wrong side rows (even number rows) are the same for the pattern stitch section, but I have written it into the instructions. If this is bothersome/confusing let me know and I can write it as “and all even number rows” and leave it out of the row instructions. I put it in because the first time I work a pattern before I get “the big picture” I sometimes forget about the instructions at the start of a pattern if it isn’t written in all the way through. Please let me know if you encounter any typos or mistakes or see a need for clarification.

Cast on 35 sts.

Ribbing: (first 6 rows and final 6 rows) K2, P2 across–since there is an uneven number of cast-on stitches you will end up with one orphan at the end of a row. That’s okay. Just keep to your ribbing on the wrong side, knitting the knits and purling the purls. There is no garter stitch border on the ribbing section.

Pattern:
ROW 11: MB, C4F, C4B, (K3, P1)x2, K3, C4F, C4B, MB
ROW 12: AS ROW 2
ROW 13: AS ROW 1
ROW 14: AS ROW 2
ROW 15: AS ROW 11
ROW 16: AS ROW 2

Repeat these 16 rows 1 time.

K2, P2 six more rows of ribbing.

Cast off.

Emily June 29, 2009 at 5:02 pm

Hi! This is a great pattern and am looking to do it for a friendship blanket of sorts. Would you mind telling me the finished deminsions? I’m looking for 6×6. Thanks!!

Kimberly Budnik August 3, 2009 at 9:24 pm

I absolutely love this pattern! You are right, it is so addictive.
Thank you so much for sharing your creativity.

Tomato Lady August 4, 2009 at 2:07 pm

Kimberly Budnik–Thank you! I couldn’t stop until I had about a dozen. I fold them and line them up in a little box and stare at them. So wrong.

AngiesSong April 29, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Thank-you soooo much for this lovely pattern this is really great for me!! I have been trying to learn new knit stitches with these and small bookmarks etc,as I have been an avid crocheter for years now and just the past year I have seriously been interested in knitting as well as taking up looming. I absolutely love all of these crafts! This pattern is beautiful for just being a facecloth or dishcloth!! I also have designed and made my own clothes this way over the yrs and am half through making a top and skirt for myself. Have not been keeping notes on these things as I should have been. The outfit I am now making is knit and crocheted, I love it I can make it my perfect size.Thank you again for this pattern,I will be sure to credit anyone elses patterns as I recieve them.

Lynn Cromer April 24, 2012 at 3:53 pm

I love the washclothes! But what do you do with them? Mine don’t clean so well. Are they just pretty to look out?

Tomato Lady April 24, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Lynne–I guess it’s just a matter of preference. Some people swear by “Grandma-style” knit or crochet washcloths for dishes or for the bath and won’t use anything else. Others prefer sponges, dish brushes, or plastic scrubbies. If you don’t like them personally, you can probably find someone who uses them and they make nice gifts.

Diane M. Roth November 19, 2012 at 8:03 pm

I’m not sure what you mean by how you handle the orphan stitch at the end of the ribbing rows. do you mean that if the end is knit 2, you knit 3 instead, and then start the next row with purl 3?