Crocheted Rosary

by Daisy on 12/16/2008

I looked FOREVER for a rosary pattern. I found one, but the beads were too difficult for me. This lady, wisely advised me to change the beads to puff stitches, and with a few other alterations, I’ve made about fifty of these. They make fantastic gifts for Catholics, and once you get the hang of the pattern, it will take less than an hour to do each one. Very inexpensive, yet a gift that will be loved for years.

Also, if you’re ever looking for a service project, this group sends rosaries all over the world. Most are beaded, and will not work for our military, as they are not silent and do not meet the color restrictions. However, the following pattern, crocheted in black, meets all of the requirements. Last I checked, I was the only one that ever sent them any, so the need is definitely there.

Rosary

I use either an E or F hook to make these depending on my mood and the yarn. I use worsted weight acrylic or cotton.

To work the beads:
LIL BEAD– Make a puff stitch
BIG BEAD–Make the same stitch, but collect 11 loops on the hook instead of 7.

Cross:
-Ch8
-Sc twice ch1 sc in 2nd ch from hook, (top of cross)
-Sc in next 2ch, ch 5 sc back to body (one arm of the cross)
-Sc in remaining chs, ch1 2sc in same ch ch1 sc in same ch (bottom of cross)
-Sc up to cross piece, ch5, sc back to body, sc in last 2 ch, sc ch1 sc in same ch as beg, join with slip stitch.

First set of beads:
-Ch4
-Work one BIG BEAD
-Ch 4
-LIL BEAD, ch 2, LIL BEAD, ch 2, LIL BEAD
-Ch 4
-BIG BEAD
-Ch 4

Triangle:
-Sc
-Ch1, turn, 2sc in sc
-Ch1, turn, 2sc in next 2 sc
-Ch1, turn, 2sc in next sc, sc in next 2 sc, 2sc in next sc.

Decades:
-Ch4
-[(LIL BEAD, ch2) 10 times, ch 4, BIG BEAD.] 4 times
-(LIL BEAD, ch2) 10 times

Finishing:
-Ch4, join to beginning triangle with a slip stitch.
-Weave in ends.

**(EDIT 2/04/09): There is now a tutorial on the BEAD STITCHES and a ROSARY POUCH for baby baptisms.

**(EDIT 1/7/09): We had several requests for a Spanish translation of this pattern. So…we accosted all our Spanish-speaking friends. We cannot say for sure that this is going to read just right, so please feel free to correct us!

Espagnol:

Rosario

Cuenta pequeña-Bucle con 7 vueltas en el ganchillo

Cuenta grande- Bucle con 11 vueltas en el ganchillo

Realización:

Cruz:
1-8 cad
2-pb 2cad 1 pb en la 2 ª cad de ganchillo (parte alta de la cruz)

3-pb después 2 cad, 5 cad pb regresando al centro (un brazo de la cruz)
4-pb en los restantes pbs, 1cad, 2 pb en la misma cad, 1cad, pb en la misma cad
(parte baja de la cruz)
5-pb hasta el centro de la cruz , 5cad, pb regresando al centro(el otro brazo), pb en las 2 últimas cad, pb 1cad pb en la misma cad como al principio, anudar el hilo.
Primer juego de cuentas:

-(Cuenta pequeña, 2cad)10 veces
Acabado:
-4 cad, anudar el hilo con el principio del triangulo con un slip stitch
-Cortar el hilo

Ivory

Jennifer June 17, 2009 at 2:06 pm

I have been trying my heart out to make this rosary and can’t seem to get past the cross. I am fairly new to crochet and am teaching myself slowly. For some reason I can not figure out the instructions. Is there a more laymen’s term directions that I might be able to understand. Thanks so much for your help!!!

jen

ivorysoap76 June 18, 2009 at 8:04 am

For the cross or the rest?

Anna July 1, 2009 at 9:55 am

I love Rosaries, and was very happy to see someone decided to make a pattern. But I’ve been trying and trying to get the crucifix started and have to keep pulling it out and restarting!! there has to be a turn somewhere in the pattern. Can you possibly recheck your pattern for errors on the Crucifix etc. thank you so much

Anna July 1, 2009 at 10:02 am

can you please recheck your pattern for errors on the wording, turns on Crucifix etc. many thanks.

sofia soprano July 2, 2009 at 10:27 am

help, please, please help me to get Rosary started. I am an experienced crocheter, and can’t seem to understand directions for Cross etc. Would truly appreciate any response so I can make and send to family in Italy, and USA. Thank you so much, Sofia

Ivory Soap July 7, 2009 at 7:06 pm

Sure. What do you need?

Ivory Soap July 7, 2009 at 7:48 pm

@ anna et al–try this out

Ivory Soap July 7, 2009 at 7:51 pm

@ anna–there is no turn. It’s crocheting in the round. You ch the eight, then go back on itself to start the sc, sc, ch, sc. Then you go down one side and do the bottom and back up the other. slip stitch it together and then start the chains and beads. There’s no turning. The only turning happens on the triangle in the middle.

sofia soprano July 10, 2009 at 5:21 pm

thank you so much for your response. I will get started on this right quick. again thank you : )

debbie July 29, 2009 at 5:13 pm

I loved this pattern, a lady at my work donated bunch of yarn and I made lots of them and now need to send them off to a charity.
thanks for sharing.

Ivory Soap July 30, 2009 at 8:49 pm

HURRAY! We love writing these posts, but it’s so exciting to find out people really USE them!

isa3187 August 14, 2009 at 12:11 am

Ivory Soap, thank you so much for putting together that diagram of the cross. reading the instructions just confused me but seeing the diagram I was able to put it together with no problem . The only problem is when I get to the big bead the yarn is very hard to work with and I can’t make 11 loops. I saw that the kind of yarn you use is worsted weight acrylic or cotton yarn which is what I did but i am having a hard time. I used both types of yarn but both were 4ply. I dont know if that makes a difference. please let me know the kind of yarn you used, thank you so much.

Ivory Soap August 14, 2009 at 8:11 am

@isa3187 I just used standard Sugar and Cream from Lily or regular old Red Heart/Love the Yarn acrylic

Terri J. August 28, 2009 at 9:49 pm

I can’t wait to try this rosary. I’ve been hunting forever for a cross and rosary all in one that is simple & quick. I hope that I can understand it and make it work. One of our groups at church does the Divine Mercy Chaplet at the nursing home and this would be great if I could make some for them…..Also great for the military…..Thanks again so much…

Rosemary St. Jacques September 8, 2009 at 6:21 pm

I did not have a problem with the cross. I cannot figure out how to get the bead started. What do you use for the stitch to attach the bead to?

Ivory Soap September 10, 2009 at 11:17 am

@Rosemary- did you check out the bead tutorial?

Ree January 2, 2010 at 10:27 pm

Since I found your pattern I have been making many rosaries. I would like to know where I can send the ones used by the military. If you can give me an address or website it would be greatly appreciated.
Happy New Year and God Bless

WendyW February 21, 2010 at 12:27 am

This is so very cool. Thanks for sharing the pattern!

Regina April 1, 2010 at 11:46 am

Thank you! My brother wanted to take his Rosary with him overseas but was told that he could not…now I have a pattern from which to make one! I’ll have to check if they allow other dark colors like gray and green, too.
Thank you for the pattern!!

Irene May 4, 2010 at 7:36 pm

Debbie: can i have the directions to the cross (#10) I love it!

chris May 7, 2010 at 8:22 am

Thanks so much for posting this. Like you, I had a hard time finding a rosary pattern. I am allergic to metal and some plastics, so I have been looking for a pattern that I could use with organic yarn. Can I post a link to this on my blog? Thanks, Chris

Lizzie George May 10, 2010 at 9:02 am

Hey thnx for the design …i njoyed stiching the rosary…. do post more designs…

Marilyn June 7, 2010 at 4:28 pm

How do I make a “puff stitch”?

Fugzilla June 27, 2010 at 3:03 pm

I love rosaries, and already have the cross started on this. The bead puffs are turning out to be a pain for me, though. Is there some magic trick to making it not so tough by the 9, 10, 11 loop? Or is that just something that goes with it? :-) Thanks for the pattern! Will post on ravelry when/if I finish!

Teresa Fortner November 17, 2010 at 9:57 am

Tank you for the rosary and the pouch pattern, but would like to know which organization do you donate to, and what is the website to send to the Military.

Sinead January 27, 2011 at 2:59 pm

What a great idea! I’m going to give it a try.

You also mentioned rosaries for the military. Another group who makes rosaries is Rosary Army (www.rosaryarmy.com). They do all-twine knotted rosaries, so they would work for the military purposes. They also look for volunteers to make rosaries for them so that they can give them out to anyone who wants one. :)

Katie January 29, 2011 at 5:45 pm

I keep trying the cross and mine always looks silly. I can’t tell what I’m doing wrong. I’m going to keep trying.

Beatriz March 15, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Thank you for the design. I love this rosary and the cross. I did one that looks beatiful, it was easy , thank you for the pattern!! . I´m going to do in diferents colours. Excuse for my english, I´m from Montevideo, Uruguay and speak spanish.
Thanks another one !!!!

Carolyn Clarke March 30, 2011 at 5:35 am

Thank you so much for this rosary design! I, too, had a hard time until you posated that picture and now I don’t know why it took me so long! It came out beautiful. I plan on making many with my prayer shawl ministry for the my friend’s son’s platoon.

Take care, Carolyn

claire Geggatt August 26, 2011 at 4:00 pm

I was so happy when my niece in NH sent me the website w/the instructions for the rosary. Now I cannot seen to find how to print the instructions! I have just upgrated from 2003 to 2010, am I missing the place to find print or the icon for it?
Have lots of ladies, including myself, who want to make these. We have been making the bead ones, but as you said it is more servicable for our heroes. (Plus you can take it with you, no hassle or spilled beads.

Marney December 26, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Do you have a kn it pattern for the Rosary? I am interested but can’t crochet?

Tomato Lady December 27, 2011 at 6:08 am

Marney–Unfortunately we don’t have a knitted pattern for the rosary. It would be a good project, though. Hopefully someone can work something up sometime.

gardengal January 6, 2012 at 1:31 pm

I am very excited about this crochet rosary pattern and the diagram picture. Thank you!! kind of concerned that Ivory soap hasn’t commented in over a year :(
I am sharing this pattern with my Catholic friends in FB.

Rosa April 7, 2012 at 9:54 am

Your rosary’s very cute! I made different models of crocheted rosaries. If you want you can see them on my blog or on my ravelry page (on ravelry I’m rosabianca).
All my best,
Rosa

Kimberly April 14, 2012 at 10:19 am

Thank you so much for sharing this pattern. I am barely above a beginner, and had no trouble following your directions. The visual instructions you left in the comments for the cross were very helpful. I am making 8 of these for my formation class students, and a black one for my brother. He’s a Blackhawk helicopter pilot in the Army Reserves, and may be shipped out to Afganistan this fall. I cannot wait to give it to him!

kate May 8, 2012 at 11:45 pm

thank you such a blessing is this website and a miracle in my life!

kate May 8, 2012 at 11:47 pm

i don’t think so, best blessings to you all!

Ivory Soap May 9, 2012 at 8:19 am

Kate, I am so glad that you are finding our site to be so helpful! Thank you for all the kind comments.

Yali June 13, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Hello everyone! :) I’m a beginner at crocheting and I love to do it especially because I have really bad arthritis its like a hobby for me. I was recently asked to be a godmother and as a gift I want to crochet her a rosary but I’m having so much trouble. This might sound funny but what does ch mean? And sc mean single crochet? I only have like 3 months crocheting and I love it. And also does anyone know of a actual video where the show you how to crochet the rosary, it’s hard for me to understand directions… I just rather watch. Please help me :)

Thank you!!

Naomi October 16, 2012 at 2:18 am

I am an advanced experienced crocheter. The instruction for this crosss Suck. I am sure it is clear for the person who did this, but for someone with little or no experience, this would be impossible to understand. Wish I could be more helpful, but there are other sites with better, more clear instructions on how to do this. one more thing I’ve made a rosary using crochet thread #10 and size 6 crochet hook. I’ve also made one using the thread and a metal cross and Mary Medal and cultured pearls (drilled) for the beads It came out awsome good luck.

Armenta November 24, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Thank you for this pattern. I have modified it to make an Anglican Rosary and also a pocket Rosary. I’ll be happy to send anyone the directions, just let me know your e-mail addres. My directions are much clearer than the original as I included how to make the puff stitches. I also had much trouble with worsted weight yarn but have used #3 Crochet Thread with great success.

Bunny Ryan January 19, 2013 at 9:47 pm

Wonderful site! Have just found this today and already found articles that I’ve been searching forever! Thank you!

Cody April 24, 2013 at 10:01 pm

I have never crocheted anything before, but I really want to make one of these for a friend who’s joining the Navy. Any BASIC sites and/or resources you can point me towards would be much appreciated!

joly aymeline October 17, 2013 at 5:35 pm

bonjour,
serez t’il possible d’avoir le diagramme de votre rosaire car j’ai un peu de mal a comprendre les explications en anglais….
en vous remerciant par avance car il es tres beau
cordialement
aymeline

Ivory Soap October 17, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Je peux essayer.

Sylvia November 25, 2013 at 11:01 pm

I am a visual learner. LOL. Anyone willing to do this on youtube for me/us to view? PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

Michelle June 19, 2014 at 5:14 am

This pattern is very poorly written. The directions for the cross alone is poorly written and does not match the photo at all.

Jenna August 9, 2014 at 8:10 am

I’ve made several of these over the past 5 years and initially yes, the cross can be a little confusing because you come around and finish it only to see that one arm is longer than the other when in fact you’re not looking at the arms at all but the top and one arm. Remember, you’re crocheting in the round here ladies. That means that each chain in the body of the cross (not the arms) will be single crocheted into TWICE, once on each side of the chain! Also… I make mine a little bigger. I chain 10 to start. SC into the second chain from the hook, SC in the next chain, SC in the next chain, chain 5, SC in each chain back to the initial chain. SC the next 5 in the chain. In the final chain, SC THREE times. This is shaping your end like this ( and leading you back up the side of your initial starting chain. Now, SC in the next 5 (we’re working on the opposite side of our initial chain now, thinking of a mirror image). In the next chain we should now be parallel to the arm on the other side, SC into it and then chain 5 once again, SCing back to the center in those 5 chains. Now SC the last couple and you’ve got your cross.
Best thing I can say would be to envision your beginning chain as a center line through your cross because that’s where it will be when you’re done. Right down the middle with the body and arms built off of it. It’s fiddly and easy to get “lost”.
I always have a rough time with the beads. I’ve learned the key is to make the chain directly before you begin a bead very, very relaxed and loose. Then I make the chain directly following a bead very, very tight. So, loose chain, small bead, tight chain, loose chain, small bead, and so forth. I know it’s been years since this was written but if anyone needs help with it, feel free to email me at LadyLeonard84@aol.com I really enjoy the pattern personally and would be more than happy to help others figure it out. Thank you so much Ivory for this pattern, I’ve given several as gifts over the years and just made one for myself this morning.