Quick Homemade Cheese

by Daisy on 02/24/2009

Welcome Stumblers! If you enjoy this post, please check out our follow-up post Fast Fresh Jam. And be sure to remember to subscribe before you surf out. We do stuff like this all the time. You won’t be disappointed.

Ivory’s Totally Yummy Soft Cheese

1/2 Gallon Whole Milk (Goat or Cow)
1/4 cup white vinegar or 1/4 cup Lemon juice
Salt to taste 1. Put milk into stainless steel pot and heat over medium until between 190 and 200 degrees.

2. Slowly stir in vinegar or lemon. Remove from heat and allow to curdle and cool until it’s not too hot to touch.

3. Pour cheese into cloth lined bowl. Pull together the 4 corners of cloth and twist around a spoon. Hang dripping cheese for a few hours.

(BTW, it’s not touching the bottom of the bowl. It just looks that way.)

4. Salt to taste and check consistency. I like a fairly hard cheese, so I hang it in the fridge overnight. That’s about the max.

5. Untie, (add any garlic or herbs or more salt, if you like) place in airtight container, and chill. Depending on how long you hung it, it should be about 12-16 oz of cheese.

Enjoy!!

Ivory

Tags: homemade cheese,

eddie August 9, 2012 at 1:05 pm

BILL!

Your are a GENIUS.

nice suggestion, came out FANTASTIC!

Mike September 26, 2012 at 7:27 am

Just tried your recipe……. great – no, fantastic…..and Barney, my dog, loved the whey :0) THANKS!

Courtney October 6, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Does it matter how pasteurized the milk is? There is a local brand that is vat pasteurized (less pasteurized I think), but if I make cheese with it, I might as well be buying organic cheese because it wouldn’t be cost effective. I’d prefer to use a cheaper organic milk if it’s possible.

Angi November 19, 2012 at 6:51 pm

this is a great recipe. My son makes this in the microwave as well. Not only that but he does make it also with skim milk once in a while but it doesn’t make as much. It is always good though.

Debbi December 31, 2012 at 2:20 am

I have made mozzarella by myself at home. It’s easy, it does require a microwave though. lol Not many little houses on the prairie have them…but little houses in the suburbs usually do. ;) Would you like the recipe?

debbie May 4, 2013 at 6:59 am

I would love that recipe for making cheese in the microwave! it would make great gifts for my grown children. may I have that recipe?

debbie May 4, 2013 at 7:08 am

I would love the recipe for making cheese in the microwave! My kids would love having it for gifts. may I have the recipe?

Jill Sherstobitoff July 9, 2013 at 11:13 pm

I JUST FOUND YOUR OFFER FOR YOUR CHEESE MADE IN THE microwave, May I STILL GET IT AT THIS LATE DATE? I WOULD TRULY LIKE TO ADD IT TO MY SURVIVAL KIT!! AND MAKE IT ADS EVERYDAY SAVINGS!!!

Nancy Nuce July 13, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Three things:

1) Thank you for this. I can’t wait to try it.

2) For someone who has no clue at all -how much salt do you recommend?

3)I, too, would like to have the recipe for the microwave mozzarella, please

Janie Schisler July 18, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Would love the recipe for the microwave cheese, if I am not too late?

Adebola Fajimolu July 26, 2013 at 10:08 am

Can i also bother you for the microwave mozarella recipe please. Looking foward you it. Thanks.

Russ Kiddy July 28, 2013 at 11:18 am

I’ve made this several times and we love it. Today we have another gallon of milk that is going down hill so we’re making another batch. Trying different herbs this time. It takes more salt than you think. I enjoy and look forward to you stuff, thank you so much.
Russ

Jeanne September 5, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Please can I have the recipe for mozzarella cheese in microwave sounds great thanks

Miriam September 11, 2013 at 2:32 pm

I made this cheese last night just as written. Very mild cheese but so very easy to make. Thank you for sharing. What herbs or spices would anyone suggest to add and when should it be added in? I plan on making more.

brightcounts January 1, 2014 at 8:35 am

I would love the recipe for the microwave mozzarella cheese, please.

Brenda Brown January 1, 2014 at 12:33 pm

I cannot drink/eat cow or goat products. Can this cheese be made with rice, oat or almond millk? I would also love the microwave cheese if I can use alternative milks. Thanks

Daisy January 1, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Brenda Brown–Never tried it but did find this: http://renegadehealth.com/blog/2011/04/20/how-to-make-no-dairy-cheese
Seems pretty easy!

debbie January 14, 2014 at 10:31 am

Can I heat the milk for the cheese in the microwave?

sum March 16, 2014 at 4:52 pm

This is an Indian cheese receipe. we called paneer…

Jill April 5, 2014 at 7:27 pm

May I please have the microwave cheese recipe? Thanks !