Scrubby Rows Dishcloth

by Daisy

This is the unbordered, unadorned, workhorse of the kitchen. And no cemented blob of counter-adhered oatmeal shall prevail against it!!

Scrubby Rows Dish Cloth

Worsted Sugar and Cream, H needle

Ch 37

Row 1 (RS): Dc in 4th ch from hook and in each ch across

Front Post Single Crochet (FPsc) follow these directions, only complete a single instead of a double crochet.
Row 2: ch1, turn; FPsc around each of the first five dc *dc in next dc (sc in next, dc in next) twice, FPsc around next five dc; repeat from * across

Row 3: ch 3 (counts first dc), turn; dc across

Row 4: ch1, turn; sc, sc, dc, sc, dc (FPsc around next five, dc, sc, dc, sc, dc) twice, FPsc around next five, dc, sc, dc, sc, sc.

Row 5: Repeat row 3.

Row 6-21:(Repeat Rows 2-5) four more times.

Fasten off and weave in ends. Scrub naughty oatmeal smears.

Ivory

Disclaimer: This post may contain a link to an affiliate.

Lisa July 2, 2009 at 12:39 am

maybe this time you will get this crochet dishcloth pattern Im trying to send you. 🙂
Love ya Laura

Lisa July 12, 2009 at 12:45 am

crochet dishcloth for you. 🙂
Laura

selina devalcourt October 10, 2009 at 2:28 pm

have instructions for “simple dishcloth”, tells me to…”insert hook insm st and pull up a loop…” what does insm mean?

Tomato Lady October 10, 2009 at 6:57 pm

selina devalcourt–I’ve never heard of that one. Could it be a typo? Maybe “in sm” which might mean “in same”. Are they online instructions? If you have a link I can have a look at it.

John Hablinski August 11, 2010 at 6:01 pm

I was directed to your site by a link on AllFreeCrochet.com for your Scrubby Rows Dishcloth pattern. When I avail myself to someone’s generosity and they share a pattern with me, I like to send a little note of thanks just to let you know someone, at least, appreciates your efforts. I am compelled in my actions by my Dear Old Sainted Mother who was very big on thank you notes, and who promised me a real good old fashioned haunting if I didn’t maintain the practice. Thanks John

Tomato Lady August 11, 2010 at 6:41 pm

John–Much obliged to you for your gracious note of thanks and a tip of the hat to your Sainted Mother for insisting on this evidence that you were what we in the southern US refer to as Raised Right.

Judy Babbitt October 3, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Thank you so much for the beautiful patterns for dishclothes. I have 26 nieces and nephews and all but two have homes of their own. When it comes to gifts, I am always searching for something pretty and practical. You made my day! I know that these will make theirs. Thanks again for your kindness in sharing these with us. With regards, Judy B.

Valoris Nuessmeier October 16, 2010 at 4:36 pm

What is FPsc? I have never seen this before. I would like to make this dish rag. Thank you Val

joyus October 21, 2010 at 10:26 am

what is FPsc i have never seen this before. thank you

Bernice Seifert October 21, 2010 at 10:41 pm

What doesFPscmean I cannoty make this dishrag without knowing what I am supposed to do for this stitch,

Bernice Seifert October 21, 2010 at 10:45 pm

what does FPsc mean. I cannot make this pattern without knowing what to do when this stitch comes up,

Ivory Soap October 23, 2010 at 6:11 pm

The instructions for it are in the post. Also a picture is attached.

Dana November 9, 2010 at 10:22 am

Thank you for taking the time to create your website and the various links. I just discovered it and am looking forward to many hours of reading and learning.
I noticed that the “Stitch Diva Studio’s” works in mm. therefore works in British pattern notes and your FPsc would be the FPdc in the tutorial? Will this help the other crocheters?
I am planning on making the Lace Jewelry Frame for my niece for Christmas. Thanks very much. Dana

Mama Squirrel November 21, 2010 at 1:00 pm

I like this pattern! I’ve linked.

Chris Johns December 1, 2010 at 8:37 pm

FPsc means “front post single crochet” – worked around the post from the front. I found two wonderful books (old) that help with all kinds of stitches.
They are big reference books for all kinds of needlework – one was put out by Readers Digest in the 70s. Sorry I can’t remember the name of it, but it is available through amazon – lots of used copies available. Will repost if I can put my hands on it quickly!

Sue January 2, 2011 at 12:41 am

I get together with 10-13 other woman a couple of days a week. We are always looking for new patterns. Some of us teach others new to crocheting and knitting how to get started (for no fee, but just to pass on what we know). I am sure that all of us have run into dry jelly or other things hard to get up. This is a pattern for a dishcloth I am going to make and pass onto other. Thank you for this pattern.
Also please let me know the name of the books and where I can get them ( when you find them). It sounds like the books could help us help others. Sue.

Dixie January 12, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Thank you for the free easy dishcloth patterns. I am new to crochet and am always looking for crochet patterns for beginners. I’m looking forward to testing my crochet knowledge by attempting this pattern. Dixie

Sylvia March 28, 2011 at 10:40 am

I also have an ‘oldie but goodie’ book I refer to all the time. It is “America’s Crochet Book” by Gertrude Taylor. copyright 1972 SBN 684-12976-0 So far I have not come across a stitch it has not helped me with.

Trixie March 28, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Dang – some of you people here are vicious!!! Someone takes the time to put a free pattern out here, then you demand to know what initials mean. Isn’t that what Google is for? And I commend John, as well as his mother, for having/instilling some manners. Seems very few people have them these days.
Thank you so much for the pattern. I will add it to my favorites 🙂

shoppinggirl April 11, 2011 at 6:58 pm

My daughter helped me with dishes, she cleaned off my stove and said”That thing is great. Where did you get it” Then when she found out I ade it she said”Pleas tell me there is one in my future.” Thank you for the wonderful pattern.

speterson April 14, 2011 at 12:21 pm

I like this pattern

Cantgetmeoutofthekitchen May 2, 2011 at 11:26 pm

Thank you for sharing this neat pattern. Thank you for sharing your skills with us. You are a very generous person to share your pattern for no fee.

kay August 3, 2011 at 6:40 am

great pattern! doing a google search will also explain what a fpsc is and some even have videos. totally agree with trixie, lighten up people and enjoy the pattern or move on!

Jackie Carroll September 7, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Thank-you for all the free patterns.It really helps me. I have spent so much money on books,organizers,needles,etc. I even have that Readers Digest book . If anyone out there wants a specific direction or page, I will send it to you. I will not part with this book. It is awesome. I have many that are also great. I do not have any way to send stuff via a computer,but I can send a one or two page something through the good old postal service.Let me know. I am [email protected]. The front row sc stitches are what make the “nubs” , by the way,and it DOES make a great scrubbing rag.Thanks again…Fondly,Miss Jackie C.

Norma November 6, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Is there a knitting book as helpful as this crochet book? “America’s Crochet Book” by Gertrude Taylor.

Tomato Lady November 6, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Norma–I like “Knitting in Plain English,” by Righetti. I haven’t read them yet, (shame on me) but others live by the Zimmerman books.

Huggylady December 3, 2011 at 9:34 pm

why do i get 9 pages for this pattern when i print it all i wanted is just the pattern only!!!!!

Tomato Lady December 3, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Huggylady–What I always do is select and copy just what I want, then paste to a word processing page (then reformat for minimum wasted space) then I can print out just what I want.

sherry December 4, 2011 at 12:35 pm

thank you for the pattern i will be making lots of these as it is simple and quick thanks again

Christineee December 5, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Hi there,
I love this pattern and thank you for listing it. I began with the recommended needle and yarn. However, I am coming up with a large width cloth. I’d like to have it about 6 by 6 inches. Since I’m not that inventive can you please advise on how to determine the chains I’d need to start with to get 4 “nubbies” in each row? I was thinking 25, but I have ripped it out several times and would love some help please.

Christine

Sharon December 5, 2011 at 10:34 pm

I love this pattern, and I love the finished product! I am making lots of these for Christmas presents. TY! TY! TY!

Suzanne Shade January 1, 2012 at 6:49 pm

I love the idea of the nubbies on a dishcloth for scrubbing hardened food off the counter. (for me its sugar). I’ve tried this pattern several times but I just can’t get the count to work out right. To get 33 stitches across (matching the length of the chain after dc in 4th chain) I would have to stop in the middle of the pattern. Do you have any idea what I could be doing wrong or is this the way its supposed to be? I’d really appreciate it if you would e-mail me.

Suzanne

Ivory Soap January 7, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Wow, I did this a long time ago. Wouldn’t it be 34 stitches since you DC in the fourth? The fourth would be your first stitch and then you’d have 33 more after that.

Lewellyn Peterson October 13, 2012 at 12:09 pm

I would like to be added to your e-mail addresses.

Martha October 26, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Thank you for the really neat pattern. This is my first time on your site, but you can bet I will be back. I signed for your newsletter. Thank you again, looks like a fun pattern.

Martha

Brooke January 4, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Susanne and Ivory,
You end up with 35 across. You chain the 37, then dc in the34th st and all across. the 3 chains count as 1 dc. Then the pattern fills out perfectly and turns out great! Hope this helps.

tgruy December 11, 2015 at 6:50 pm

I just want to leave a note of thanks for sharing all this wealth of knowledge. I really appreciate it.

¡Gracias desde México!