Fast Fresh Jam

by Daisy on 03/01/2009

Ivory’s Diet-Breaking Delicious Jam

3 cups crushed, warmed, frozen strawberries
3 cups organic sugar (or white *sigh*)
1 cup water
1 box Less or No Sugar Needed Sure-Jell
(found in baking section and looks just like this)

1. Stir together Sure-Jell and sugar, then water. Boil over medium heat, stirring constantly, for about a minute.

2. Add **crushed strawberries (squished by pulsed immersion blender, potato masher, your fork…)

**Note: The warmer your berries, the firmer your set.

3. Stir until mixed, remove from heat, and pour in freezer safe container of choice (this makes about 6 cups, so you’ll freeze the extra.)

4. Cover and leave out at room temp for a 12-24 hrs to set. Refrigerate one container, freeze the rest.

Fresh fruit taste, soft set….To. Die. For.

Lolita November 29, 2010 at 12:44 pm

this recipe sounds good but I am not really a fan of strawberrys. Will this work with other fruits as well??
I am not a suburbs dweller, I live out in the middle of an oak forest in a converted 12×30 wood storage building that I wired, insulated and sheetrocked myself, with help from my sister. I am 70 yrs old and if I can live small, anyone can. But I still have a lot to learn after having spent most of my life in cities. I really enjoy reading your information and the many comments.

Tomato Lady November 29, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Lolita–I would find a recipe specifically for each fruit you are going to make into jam as there are subtle differences in how they behave depending on the naturally occurring pectin and sugar content and texture of the fruit. Recipes like this are often called “freezer jam”, so you can put those search terms in along with your fruit while recipe hunting.
I’m in awe of your pioneer spirit. You must deservedly feel a great sense of accomplishment and independence after such a feat. I imagine there’s an interesting story behind your lifestyle. I hope you are writing it down.

Jenn June 19, 2012 at 12:46 pm

I am planning on canning some strawberry jam using a Ball canning receipe. Do you think its ok to freeze the berries first? I want to pick fresh berries but don’t have time to get to the jam making and canning part just yet. I’m wondering if they will be too watery? Any experience with this? 🙂 Thanks!!!

Daisy June 19, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Jenn–They will be fine. I use frozen berries all the time and they are just as good.

Ivory Soap June 20, 2012 at 6:18 am

Yes, just wash, pat dry, and flash freeze them on a cookie sheet so that they aren’t one mass. Later, you can make jam. It affects nothing.

debbie September 11, 2013 at 9:43 am

I would love to see more recipes for cheeses,breads, and cupcakes! Thanks for the great place to find new great recipes.