Cabbage Patch Knitted Dishcloth

by Daisy on 04/09/2009

I think the hazelnut stitch from Super Stitches Knitting looks a lot like a field of cabbages. The green yarn helps complete the transformation from filbert to brassica.

Shown in Lily Sugar’n Cream Hot Green.
I used size 6 needles–use your preferred dishcloth cotton needle size.

The first 4 sts and last 4 sts of every row are knit in seed stitch: Knit the purl stitches and purl the knit stitches. (Or use any border you prefer, garter stitch, for example.)
MB=Make Border

Cabbage Patch Dishcloth

CO 31

BEGIN SEED STITCH BORDER:
Rows 1-4:
K1, P1, to end
Knit 3 more rows seed stitch. (To make seed stitch, knit the purl stitches and purl the knit stitches.)
The first and last 4 sts of each row are knit in seed stitch, indicated by MB in the pattern instructions.

Row 5: MB, K to last 4 sts, MB.
Row 6: MB, P last 4 sts, MB.
Row 7: (RS) MB *P3, (K1, yo, K1) into next stitch, rep from * to last 3 sts before border, P3, MB.
Row 8: MB, K3, *P3, K3, rep from * to last 4 sts, MB.
Row 9: MB, *P3, K3, rep from * to last 3 sts before border, P3, MB.
Row 10: MB, K3, *P3tog, K3, rep from * last 4 sts, MB.
Row 11: MB, P to last 4 sts, MB.
Row 12: MB, K to last 4 sts, MB.
Row 13: MB, P1, *(K1, yo, K1) in next st, P3, rep from * to last 2 sts before border, (K1, yo, K1) in next st, P1, MB.
Row 14: MB, K1, *P3, K3, rep from * to last 4 sts (before border), P3, K1, MB.
Row 15: MB, P1, *K3, P3, rep from * to last 4 sts (before border), K3, P1, MB.
Row 16: MB, K1, *P3tog, K3, rep from * to last 4 sts (before border), P3tog, K1, MB.
Row 17: MB,P to last 4 sts, MB.
Row 18: MB, K to last 4 sts, MB.
Rep Rows 7-18 3 times.
Rep Rows 7-12.

Knit 4 rows seed stitch.
Bind off.

T.L.

A. W... December 20, 2009 at 8:44 am

Have people had trouble making this one? I have. Does (K1, yo, K1) mean repeated once?I do not see it started but as I was making this it was getting skinnier and skinnier so I know adding one and subtracting 2 two rows later wil lmake it skinner as you go. I guess I am wondering if it should be read K1, yo, K1, yo, K1 or K1, yo, K1, K1, yo, K1

Thank you.

Called by the Lord,
A. W….

Tomato Lady December 20, 2009 at 10:36 am

A.W.–This can be tricky– “(K1, yo, K1) in the same stitch” is stitched on one stitch without removing the stitch from the left-hand needle until after the second K1. This is your increase row and it increases 2 sts each time you “(K1, yo, K1) in the same stitch”. Two rows later the “P3 tog” decrease will eliminate two sts. It can be confusing so let me know if this doesn’t make it clear and I will try to help.

Suzanne November 10, 2010 at 9:18 am

I’ve noticed a possible mistake in your pattern. In order to make the pattern work I added after these 2 beginning rows
Row 5: MB, K to last 4 sts, MB.
Row 6: MB, P last 4 sts, MB.
Row 7: MB, K to last 4 sts, MB.

And continued to follow the pattern as you indicated…this is the only way I found I could keep the cabbage stitch facing the pearl side which is what is shown in your completed dishcloth photo. I would also like to add that one could work the cabbage stitch on the knit side just as easily too…I will make a dishcloth this way too. Love the pattern just thought I’d clarify for those having a hard time.

Persida September 13, 2011 at 6:32 am

This pattern will not work. I have tried 5 times. I am going to try it once more with adding an extra row suggested by Suzanne. Very frustrated with a pattern that should be easy enough.

Corallie Harper September 13, 2011 at 7:16 am

It’s row 15 that seems incorrect
I believe it should read as follows:
ROW 15: MB, P1, *P3, K3, rep from * to last 4 sts (before border), K3, P1, MB.

Meowmom February 27, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Hi,
Just found your cabbage patch knitted dishcloth pattern and love it! I have noticed several comments about the pattern being incorrect, is this true? I would love to try making this but need to know if there are corrections to the pattern needed.

Thank you for sharing!

Meowmom

Tomato Lady February 27, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Meowmom–I’m sorry, this was so long ago I can’t remember what was up with this. I seem to remember some commenters seem to have figured it out. I recommend taking their advice for now, and some day when I can I will see what I can do with it.

Jess November 6, 2012 at 12:05 pm

did you ever figure out what the correct pattern is? i tried it as well & it didn’t turn out… :/ would love to have the working pattern.

šŸ™‚

Carla May 14, 2013 at 6:49 pm

I just finished making this cabbage stitch cloth and am very happy with it. The only change I made was rows 11, 12 and 17, 18. I switched them to match rows 5, 6. I like the way it looks, and all my cabbages are on the same side šŸ™‚ Thank you for the nice pattern!