Blackeyed Pea Fritters

by Daisy

IMG_4000

These are a variation on the African standby. They are traditionally deep-fried, but I like to cook them up in a skillet. It’s a tasty way to round out those summer garden vegetable plates with a bit of protein.

Blackeyed Pea Fritters

makes about 8 fritters

1 can blackeyed peas, drained

1/2 onion, coarsely chopped

1 egg

1 jalepeno pepper, chopped

1/4 cup flour

1/2 tsp. salt

Combine all ingredients through jalepeno pepper in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Remove from blender to a medium-sized mixing bowl and stir in flour and salt.

Heat 1/2 inch oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When a drop of batter sizzles when placed in the oil, drop batter by heaping tablespoonfuls into the skillet.  Brown on one side and flip. Cook the second side and remove to drain on towels. Serve warm.

TL

P.S. From Ivory—Omigosh, I would be so fat if I lived at TL’s.  I was drooling over these all week while they were sitting in draft.  Of course that happens to me all this time.  Like when she made this this, this, and holy crap, this.

Disclaimer: This post may contain a link to an affiliate.

Monkeyfister June 25, 2009 at 7:39 pm

This is a WONDERFUL recipe! I’ve cooked this twice this week. I am impressed with the versatility of this little recipe. Tonight, I added some parsley, cumin and garlic for a slightly Mid-Eastern flavor. I might add some mint or some lemon zest next time.

Thank you for sharing this!

–mf

TL June 25, 2009 at 8:30 pm

Those are genius add-ins, I’ve got to try that! Thanks!

Jennifer June 26, 2009 at 5:41 am

Neat looking recipe, I’ll have to try it. What about using fresh black eyed peas? They are available locally here (admittedly, the south, panhandle of florida), and we had some last week cooked with a strip of bacon and some garlic powder. YUUUMMM!

TL June 26, 2009 at 6:24 am

Hi Jennifer! Fresh, cooked blackeyed peas would be delicious. Wish I had some homegrown . . .

Robin November 20, 2009 at 7:30 pm

LOVE blackeyed peas and want to try this.
could you recommend an additional flavor to replace the jalepino?? sadly we cannot eat them – (my speed of hot sauce is catsup!) but i would think a little punch of ‘something’ would be a good idea

thanks rj is so cal

Tomato Lady November 21, 2009 at 1:27 am

Robin-How about a couple of tablespoons chopped sweet bell pepper, any color? Or chopped dried tomato? A pinch of cumin, perhaps . . .

Sedenz August 6, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Hello, love your website. These fritters sound like falafels! No complaints from me…used your recipes for them. My teenaged’ boys love’ em.

Tomato Lady August 6, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Sedenz–Thank you! Glad they enjoyed them. We have a falafel recipe, too!

Sedenz August 7, 2010 at 11:00 am

Oh Yeah!
I have crafted the falafels ar least twice. My sons, 11 and 14, beg for them now!