Patchwork Dishcloth

by Daisy on 09/29/2009

IMG_4338

Needles: US size 6

Yarn: Lily Sugar ‘n Cream

Cast on 36 sts.

Rows 1-2: K

Row 3:K 3, *P2, K2, rep from * to last 5 sts, P2, K3.

Row 4: K3, *K2, P2, rep from * to last 5 sts, K5.

Row 5: K3, [K2, P2] twice, *K4, P2, K2, P2, rep from * to last 5 sts, K5.

Row 6: K3, [P2, K2] twice, *P4, K2, P2, K2, rep from * to last 5 sts, P2, K3.

Rows 7-10: Rep rows 3-6.

Rows 11 and 12: Rep rows 3-4.

Row 13: As row 4.

Row 14: As row 3.

Row 15: As row 5.

Row 16: As row 6.

Rows 17-20: Rep rows 13-16.

Rows 21 and 22: Rep rows 13-14.

Repeat rows 3-22.

Knit all for 2 more rows.

Bind off. Sew in ends.

Tanya Walton September 29, 2009 at 10:25 am

one day….in the not so distant future..(.ok so maybe I’m kidding myself there) I hope to be able to knit like this!!!!

Jaspenelle September 29, 2009 at 11:43 am

Okay, I am going to try this one (as my third knitting project ever.) It looks so pretty and I think I am starting to understand patterns now… 5sts, that means 5 stitches right?

Patricia Rowan September 29, 2009 at 4:57 pm

Re row 11-K 3 , P2K2(P4 K2) repeat 4 times, P2, K3
Row 12 K3, K2, P2, ( k4, p2) REPEAT 4 times, K2. K5
If one does it this way, it comes out like the picture. Not that the original instructions are wrong, just different.
Thank you.

jlind September 29, 2009 at 10:58 pm

How many do you cast on to begin with?

Tomato Lady September 29, 2009 at 11:36 pm

jlind–Oops. Cast on 36 sts. I’ll go fix that.

Tomato Lady September 29, 2009 at 11:45 pm

Patricia Rowan–Thanks–I’m going to have to put my thinking cap on and see what I’ve done.

Tomato Lady September 29, 2009 at 11:46 pm

Jaspenelle–Yes, and go look now, I’ve come to my senses and put the cast on stitch number. (This one went up kinda fast, may have bugs).

nancy September 30, 2009 at 6:47 am

What kind of cast-on do you prefer for dishcloths? I have been using long-tail. I tried a cable cast-on for my last dishcloth and it was too loose, but I’ve found it is perfect for the mini wash mitt. Just wondering what others prefer? And I finally bought myself the Lily Hot Green! Wow is it a great color!! =)

Thanks again!

Tomato Lady September 30, 2009 at 7:09 am

nancy–I use the long-tail, too.
Hot Green is a happy color!

busywithkids October 1, 2009 at 7:33 am

I knitted my first washcloth this weekend (very basic, just straight stitch). I can only dream of working my way up to THIS work of art!

Tomato Lady October 1, 2009 at 8:05 am

busywithkids–The secret is that this is just knit and purl. You will be knitting rings around this cloth in no time, mark my words.

ekg February 20, 2010 at 1:59 pm

I just finished your basketweave dishcloth pattern. It turned out beautifully. I would like to do this one now, but am wondering about Patricia Rowan’s 09/29/09 comment–is the pattern correct as is or does it need to be modified as PR suggests? Please advise. Thanks in advance!

Tomato Lady February 20, 2010 at 8:19 pm

ekg–Glad the bw turned out!
I use the pattern as written. There might be something in the example photo that is different–I make all kinds of mistakes all the time, but I just knitted another one up to be sure and it worked out just fine. Please let me know if you have any difficulty with it and I will be glad to do my best to sort it out!

ekg February 22, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Thanks! I’m going to start it today . . .

ekg March 3, 2010 at 8:46 pm

Success! Finished this one yesterday and it turned out beautifully! Am looking for other dishcloth designs on your website which are the same size as the Patchwork Dishcloth and the Basketweave Dishcloth for my next endeavor. Any pointers? Thanks!

Tomato Lady March 3, 2010 at 11:47 pm

ekg–Yea! I have three more coming up soon! I’ll slip them into the rotation.

ekg March 4, 2010 at 7:30 am

Great! That will be a lot of fun. Can you please shoot me a quick e-mail to let me know when they’re up? Have a great day!

nanakat December 9, 2010 at 9:08 am

ekg mentioned Basketweave dishcloth and I can’t find it, Could you send me an email of it and the “three more coming out soon”. I love your work.

Tomato Lady December 9, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Hi nanakat–Here’s a link to all our knitting patterns. All the dishcloths in knit we have are found here: http://littlehouseinthesuburbs.com/category/crafts/knitting-patterns. Thank you for your comment and happy knitting!

Elizabeth Cruise April 28, 2011 at 6:40 pm

This is a beatiful washcloth. I am just learning to knit. Hav e made many washcloths
in the learning process. I hope to do this one next. Do you have your patterns in a book? I would love to get it if you do. Thank so much.

Tomato Lady April 28, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Elizabeth Cruise–Thank you! No, we don’t have a pattern book, all our patterns thus far are available on the site for free. Enjoy!

Rita September 8, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Could someone explain the last line that says (Knit all for 2 more rows) What row do I start & end & 2 more rows of what???
Thank you Kindly!

Rita September 8, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Sorry , the knitting pattern of the patchwork dishcloth.

Daisy September 8, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Rita–At that point, knit the last two rows using knit stitches for both rows. It will give you a garter stitch border.

Rita September 9, 2012 at 10:04 am

I know how to make the border but I’m half way threw & I got stuck where it says , knit all for 2 more rows. Do I start from the beginning row ‘s 3 torepeat rows 3-22 then make my border?
Thank you Daisy! I would like to finish this patchwork knitting dishcloth but i’m kinda stuck.

Rita September 10, 2012 at 8:06 am

What are the measurements of the patchwork dishcloth? Does anyone know?

Daisy September 10, 2012 at 8:37 am

Rita–Where it says k all for two more rows, you’re at the end ready to make the final border. Mine measures 7 5/8 in. long by 8 1/2 in wide.

Rita September 10, 2012 at 9:31 am

Then I did something wrong. Mine measures 5in. long & 7 1/2in. wide. I need more length. Don’t know what happened. Thanks so much Daisy, you have been very helpful.
Rita (from Pa)

Daisy September 11, 2012 at 4:56 am

Rita–Hm. I don’t know what went awry. I wish I could reach through the computer and help.

Rita September 12, 2012 at 11:50 am

Finally found my mistake. Finished the patchwork dishcloth, it came out awsome & I even made a hook. Enjoy doing all of the discloth patterns. (Sheep , butterfly, waffle,etc. Thank you for all.
Rita

Daisy September 13, 2012 at 8:03 am

Rita–Yay! Like the hook idea.

Rita September 13, 2012 at 9:39 am

Thank you Daisy. Ancious to start my new dishcloth (Humming bird). If you come across any patterns , please send.

Janet Devlin April 20, 2013 at 10:14 pm

I am back to making more dishclothes for all family members. They really do love them. They all were using sponges and they would get nasty smalling. I made several of them for each of the daughters-in-law. Thanks for all of your FREE patterns.