Pure Olive Oil Soap

by Daisy on 10/19/2009

IMG_4492

I heard the stories about 100% olive oil soap, that it was so gentle and mild, yet “slippery” and “low suds.” I made up a batch and have been very pleased with it. Here’s the deal on the “low suds” issue–it’s true to some extent UNLESS you use one of those scrubby plastic bath puffs. With the puff, it is unbelievably sudsy. Also very sudsy as a shampoo bar. I love it. It’s a little bit of a water discount and it sets up very fast and gets hard as a rock in record time. Don’t wait too long to unmold and slice into bars–8 hours or so is all mine needed, but check your batch and make the call depending on your best judgment.

Olive Oil/Castile Soap

100 oz. olive oil

12.6 oz. lye

30 oz. water

Makes about 24 big, chunky, creamy-white, 4-plus oz. bars. Yum.

Follow safe soapmaking procedures.

This site has excellent instructions on how to make soap.

I added no essential oils to this batch, but a general guide for most essential oils is to add .5 oz. eo’s per pound of soaping oils. For this recipe you would need approximately 3.125 oz. of your favorite essential oil(s).  Round up and use 4 oz. for extra oomph.

I bring mine to a fairly thick trace so I can make some swirls reminiscent of the hot process ones.

Let your soap cure for about 6 weeks for the hardest, mildest bars.

brett June 24, 2013 at 11:12 am

I waited 6-8 weeks, but the soap is a bit soft to the touch – a consistency similar to Muenster cheese.

Heather June 24, 2013 at 11:38 am

Hello,

I made this recipe about 8 months ago, as well as several other recipes. I love the soap on my skin, especially now that its nice and cured. The problem is when I try to use any of my soaps as a shampoo. I have very thick, fine, strait hair; and I can’t find a soap recipe that doesn’t make my hair seem greasy and heavy. Based on some research I’ve done I’m ready to test out an all coconut oil version. I used to do the baking soda and vinegar but after a while it irritated my scalp. PLEASE HELP!

Daisy June 25, 2013 at 5:05 am

Heather–The coconut oil soaps are known to be drier than others, so that may help you in your situation. Also, have you tried using a very dilute vinegar rinse AFTER you use soap for shampoo? Keep diluting the vinegar until it doesn’t irritate.

Daisy June 25, 2013 at 5:06 am

brett–hm. Never had a problem with this one not getting rock solid. Could it be there are impurities remaining in the oil from the prior processing?

Heather June 25, 2013 at 7:00 am

I think I’m going to give the coconut oil a try. I will say that my hair has never been healthier since I started making this soap, but I don’t like the residue feeling. I still use vinegar; it was the baking soda that irritated my scalp. I had to give up my homemade deodorant for the same reason!

Arthur June 25, 2013 at 1:12 pm

Will the soap spoil over time?

How dilute of a vinegar rinse?

Will the 2, together make me smell like a salad?

Daisy June 25, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Arthur–I’ve never had soap spoil. It may yellow a bit in color, but it doesn’t seem to effect how well it does its thing. Use about 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar per quart of water. Unfortunately, you will not smell like a salad, but if you infuse the vinegar with oregano and garlic, you might smell like pizza. Seriously, though (if we’re going there) the soap smells like soap once it’s saponified, not much of a smell at all, and the vinegar smell goes away once your hair is dry.

Euan September 5, 2013 at 10:26 pm

Ive just stumbled across this and must say I’m thrilled. I’m going to try it!
I’ve just stopped using ‘conventional’ shampoo and for the itchy scalp that comes once every other day or so I’ve been advised to use lemon juice diouted in water – its amazing how efficient it is at stopping the itchiness and how much gunk comes out!
I use one whole lemon, squeezed directly into a big bowl of cold or luke warm water and pour over my head (directly over the bowl) and Gently massage through. I don’t think I could ever go back to shampoo now…

Michelle Ortner November 27, 2013 at 10:10 am

Was wondering if a person could do this as a hp soap, with this recipe? Have u ever tried it that way? I love doing hp soap in a crock pot and thought this would be a wonderful soap for my young childrens winter dry skin! Thanks so much!

Daisy November 29, 2013 at 9:57 am

Michelle Ortner–I’ve never done it, but I’m sure it could be adapted for hp. I hesitate to advise you on the particulars since I’m less familiar with hp, but I’m sure you could do it.

Colleen March 5, 2014 at 7:13 pm

Hi there. I’m confused. Why is the soap in your photo a creamy white color (also in your description)? Mine is yellow-green, the same color as the olive oil I used. It also smells strongly of olive oil. The recipe doesn’t specify a certain kind to use. I just got finished pouring it..does it change as it hardens? This is my first time making soap with olive oil. My intent was to use this for general household purposes but I’m concerned about the color and smell. Thanks.

Daisy March 5, 2014 at 7:26 pm

Colleen–No worries, the color is dependent on the type of olive oil used. Sometimes mine is yellow-green, too. This particular batch turned out white, but that was a less typical result. I like the olive-y soap just as well or even better.

SHARON September 18, 2014 at 12:11 am

I made a shampoo that I’m very happy with! I had some olive oil soap (with a very small amount of castor oil in it). I grated one cup of this and added 1/2 cup each of rosewater and canned coconut milk (the kind used in cooking). I whirled this is a blender. I think it’s awesome!

Plain water instead of rosewater should be fine. The rosewater gets expensive.

Candy October 24, 2014 at 3:36 am

Thank you. I love making crock pot soap. I also use another HOT PROCESS, it is great also. Line your soap form with freezer paper, I use cookie sheets and line them. Set asside. Pre-heat your oven to 175 (F). (do not use your crock pot, use another heat save bowl big enough for your batch) You use the ingredients and directions from your soap recipe, go through the trace step. Pour the batter into your prepared forms or pan. Put them in the over for ONE hour. turn off the oven and leave the oven closed for 6-8 hours. I usually make this type of soap in the evening befor bed. In the morning (later) remove your forms (pans) from the oven, they will still be hot beccause of the chemical reaction with heat and lye. Let sit on cooling racks about 30 minutes. Lift soap from forms using the sides of the freezer paper for handles. put on a cutting board and slice. If you use forms and can put it down in the slicer go for it. Before putting it in the oven spray the top of the soap with 90% alcohol, this will reduce ash that might form on top. If this happens just take a damp clothe and wash off the the top of the soap. Also to make a pretty soap you can make ‘waves’ and designs in the top of the soap and/or sprinkle a little color sugar on top. You can also use soap slivers if you rebatch your soap to sprinkl on top then lightly press into the soap batter. when using a cookie sheet ypu need one with 1 inch sides. Cut into 2 – 3 inch squares like you would for cookie bars or cake. Cool and cure on your soap racks. This soap can be used now if you wish, but I like to wait at least 2 weeks so the bars can harded more so. I also prefer using coconut oil soap or halp and half mix of olive oil and coconut oil. This makes a harder and better lathering soap. Love coconut oil soap. You can also fragrance with a soap fragrance or prefer an essential oil.Be careful if you know some one has an alergy to coconut. I hope thishas give you all a few new and fun ideas. God bless!

Candy October 24, 2014 at 3:39 am

To convert your recipe with a mix of oils I use the MMS Lye calculaor at TheSage.com. It is a real easy converter and you can save your soap recipes there on line or print them out to save.