Salmon Patty Puffs (Gluten-free)

by Ivory Soap on 02/22/2010

My hubby says that these are like salmon hush puppies, fish hush puppies…FUSH-puppies. That’s what he settled on.  Fush-puppies.  So here you go!  And since I can’t have flour, they’re gluten free.  I suppose any coarse flour would work.  Whole wheat, cornmeal, what-have-you, but mine are from rice flour that I grind myself.

Ivory’s Gluten-Free Fush Puppies

Can of salmon with bone, drained

2 eggs

1 onion, diced

1-3 cloves garlic

1T baking powder

salt

rice flour

canola oil for frying

1.  Gently peel apart salmon and scrape away skin.  Leave the bones.  They are pure calcium and crush to powder as your stir.

2.  Break up salmon, stirring and mashing.

3.  Add onion, pressed garlic, salt to taste, both eggs and as many handfuls of flour as it takes to make the concoction mold-able.

4.  Roll into balls about the size of a ping-pong ball.  Fry in about an inch of hot oil, turning once.

5.  Drain on paper.  Eat before they even reach the table.

Emily February 22, 2010 at 8:55 am

Those look so good! And just in time for Lent. I’ll make these this week!“““““““

Jin6655321 February 22, 2010 at 10:15 am

I have to admit, I find whole canned salmon to be… kind of oogy, but the fush puppies look very good.

Erin February 22, 2010 at 11:01 am

I used to love salmon patties, until I made them myself and opened that can… I just can’t do it, now! I’m going to try this recipe with fresh salmon fillets–I’m a wimp, I know! (I can’t debone a chicken, either.)

Anita D'Souza February 22, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Yum!! These sound SO GOOD! I can’t wait to try them. By any chance do any of your kids read Tamora Pierce’s books? In her book “Terrier” the main character Beka is called Fish-Puppy for a while!

lynne s of oz February 26, 2010 at 2:41 am

Nom nom and GF/DF to boot! Have to try these. Whole canned fish doesn’t freak me out and the bones are extra good 🙂
You ladies in Co? I lived there for five months (June to December) and loved it. Fort Collins. Despite homesickness, it was about the best summer of my life.

Emily February 26, 2010 at 7:49 pm

Just wanted to update that I made these tonight and they were great! I have some work to do on my frying technique, but they tasted good nonetheless. We made a quick tater sauce to go with them. Yum!

Diane February 27, 2010 at 5:38 pm

Going to try these tonight. I assume the baking powder goes in with the flour, right? They look so delicious!

Kimberly February 28, 2010 at 3:12 pm

Ivory! Oh my goodness woman, these are delicious! I’m munching on a plate of them right now. I made them with about 40% whole wheat flour and 60% cornmeal. The meal gives them a nice little crunch! Also added a smidge of salt, pepper, and paprika. Deeeelicious! Thank you so much for posting this. I’ll be posting your link to my Facebook page- hope you don’t mind!

Pat Harvey July 14, 2010 at 4:01 am

Wonder if they would be just as good baked in small muffen pans since frying is not an option but we love salmon and these sound so good.

Cathy April 17, 2011 at 10:59 am

Do I add 1 T baking powder to the rice flour?
I would like to try a mixture of rice flour and cornmeal.
Thank you.

Tomato Lady April 17, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Cathy–Yes, it all sort of goes in together. The cornmeal would be good.

Shu Han April 18, 2011 at 7:24 am

Wow that does sound yum! It looks like sth I posted recently, and I’ll be sure to give yours a try soon (:

Brenda Fisher March 24, 2012 at 4:01 pm

These were easy to make and they taste great. I added a little bit of cumin powder to the batter.

Cookor September 17, 2012 at 3:31 pm

In what universe does salmon bone crush into powder while simply stirring the mixture? A mortar and pestle is needed to perform such a task, as beating the mixture with a fork will only break the bone chunks into hidden pieces to chip a tooth on later!

Also, what ratio of baking powder to flour is used? You failed to specify, and getting the ratio wrong can totally ruin the food. Enough flour to make it moldable plus 1 tablespoon of b.p. is impossible to determine beforehand; 1/2 cup? 1/4 cup? 1/3 cup?

They look amazing in the picture, it’s just a shame that I might have to ruin a couple batches before discovering your secret ratio of ingredients.

Ivory Soap September 19, 2012 at 8:52 am

Canned salmon bones are just like little salt pillars. The canning process is what does it. You can crush them to powder with no force at all.