Peppermint Foot Slather with Neem Oil

by Daisy on 03/31/2010

As the weather warms up, get those feet ready for their annual unveiling with this recipe for a neem-heavy lotion I can only term a “slather.”  It hits the warmth of your skin and liquefies into a juicy, emollient boon for the toughest hide.

Neem and calendula are both well-regarded for their skin-healing properties.  The peppermint essential oil is cooling and helps tame the assertive scent of pure neem oil.  Shea butter and coconut oil are just plain good.

Peppermint Foot Slather

3 Tablespoons Shea butter

2 Tablespoons Coconut oil

1 Tablespoon plus 1 tsp. beeswax

4 Tablespoons Neem oil

1 tsp. calendula extract

1 tsp. peppermint essential oil

Melt the shea butter, coconut oil, and beeswax in a double boiler, just until melted.  Remove from heat and add the neem oil, calendula extract, and peppermint eo.  Stir well. Pour into container(s).

Makes approx. 4 oz.

For the most effective use, slather on feet before bed and cover with cotton socks for an overnight treatment.

Mrs T March 31, 2010 at 7:03 am

Where is the best place to get the ingredients? A few of those I have never heard of.

TIA

LisaPie March 31, 2010 at 8:14 am

TL, this looks wonderful! Thanks so much. I can’t wait to try it.

Tomato Lady March 31, 2010 at 8:35 am

TIA–I purchased my neem oil from http://www.neemtreefarms.com, and I get my beeswax, coconut oil, extracts, essentials oils and shea butter from http://www.essentialwholesale.com. That said, there are many online suppliers of all of these (search soaping suppliers), plus Hobby Lobby usually carries beeswax and many grocery stores have coconut oil.

murr brewster April 1, 2010 at 1:36 am

That looks DELICIOUS! Which is important in a foot rub.

Tomato Lady April 1, 2010 at 12:54 pm

murr brewster–It is. It is delicious in its own way. Ha!

Handful April 1, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Lovely! I have made similar massage melts that my sweetie rubs into my feet (at least 3 times a week, usually more! He is a keeper for sure!) with cocanut oil, beeswax, solid coco, essential oils and a bit of parafin. My tootsies are sandal ready thanks to him. I gave them as Christmas gifts and everyone raved. It is great on the lips too!

My big biker brother loves it but said almond honey is not his scent so now I have to try some with his cologne. Do you think that will work? Or do you have another suggestion? The peppermint would be a good choice too.

I am not familiar with neem oil and I have no idea what calendula extract is. I will have to research it so I can try your recipe. Thanks!

Tomato Lady April 1, 2010 at 4:39 pm

Handful–I agree, definitely a keeper!

If you want to use essential oils, peppermint is a good guy choice. I’ve never tried adding perfume so I can’t say about that. Rosemary sounds girly but guys like it, sort of woodsy.

Neem oil is great, do check it out. Calendula, too.

Susan Chiang April 1, 2010 at 7:23 pm

Thank you! I will try this for sure! I have all the ingredients except the neem oil. I think you can find it at health food stores…

Handful April 4, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Thanks TL

Pav April 23, 2010 at 3:48 am

Very useful information. Thank you I am going to try to make it soon.

Sarah June 12, 2010 at 12:35 am

This looks great. I use the Burt’s Bees coconut foot cream, but at $9 a tube it’s a bit pricy. I will have to try this one. Thanks!

Adam Teaser - Neem oil expert August 17, 2010 at 11:24 am

Above Neem oil skin recipe is supposed to be a unique one and its new to me. My special credits to the author. Hope it also serves the readers a lot.