Make Fleece Yarn

by Ivory Soap on 05/21/2010

Thank you for visiting Little House in the Suburbs. If you like what you see, please SUBSCRIBE and be sure to check out OUR BOOK.

I don’t know why I didn’t do this sooner.  I have GIANT piles of fleece.  You can do this with any material that you want to become yarn. First, figure out which direction of your fleece is the stretchy direction, then fold along the dotted line as shown below.

Second, using a rotary blade (or scissors for a rustic look), cut your material starting from the fold in 1/2 inch ribbons.  Stop a 1/2 inch from the edge.

Then, open it us and clip every other edge as in the diagram below.

Next, trim the corners off of each turn like so:

Then, roll it up into a ball.

If you have multiple pieces of fleece to join, trim the ends and put a TINY slit in each yarn piece…smaller than shown below.

Next, thread strip 2 through the slit in strip 1 and pull its (2’s) tail through it’s own slit.  Check out this post for a good picture of it.

Finally, crochet with it!

Amanda May 21, 2010 at 8:57 pm

WOW!!! I have so many remnants of fleece just sitting around. I would have never thought of this! thank you so very much for sharing!! Now, to start gathering them up : )

portia May 22, 2010 at 7:36 am

This is the same technique I use to cut fabric for weaving rag rugs. You can also knit/crochet regular fabric in the same manner shown.

carol May 22, 2010 at 7:58 am

This is the way I recycled all those old cotton t-shirts I didn’t wear any more. They are now a crocheted round rug in my laundry room.

Tanya Walton May 22, 2010 at 9:38 am

I already knew how to do this…I think it’s a great thing to know how to do though so sharing it was a very good idea!

Kalinda May 27, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Aha!! Now I know what to do with all of our old clothes that aren’t donation worthy! Thank you so much!!

Judy July 7, 2010 at 6:58 pm

Thanks so much for the idea. I remember my grandmother using an assortment of old rags and clothing to make rugs and we always liked them.

MamaShea July 30, 2011 at 2:16 am

Just a note, you can also crochet with plastic shopping bags cut into strips, usually 1/2″ to 1″ works best, or even old cassette tapes. It’s a great way to recycle all those old, outdated or otherwise disposable items!

Vicky Martinez Rios May 5, 2014 at 1:47 am

Never thought of using fleece, great idea!!!

Irene December 18, 2014 at 12:51 pm

Great easy tutorial

Debra Robinson August 22, 2015 at 5:50 am

Love this, I never thought of it!

Kristen September 13, 2015 at 4:58 am

If you have an overlocker/serger, you can sew your fabric into a tube, with the stretch running parallel with the open edges. Remove the needles from your machine and cut a continuous strip round and round the fabric tube. Or round and round the body of the T shirt. If you have a yarn ball winder you can zoom along, winding neat balls of your stretchy yarn as you go.
Fast and FUN!