Tabasco 2010

by Daisy on 08/18/2010

I grew my first tabasco pepper plant last year and made my own tabasco sauce.

It was An Experience.

I loved the sauce, though, (on the second try) and grew another plant this year.  Boy howdy it is a happy plant.  Huge.  If I had two of them I could go into commercial production.  Three and I would have to apply for a hazardous materials permit.

Si, amigos, that is ONE pepper plant.  Uno.

At 30.000 to 50,000 units on the Scoville Scale of heat levels, that’s a lot of firepower.  I should have enough to make tabasco sauce for every He-Man Pepper-Eater on the birthday and Christmas list well into the mid-century.

Do you have He-Man Pepper-Eaters in your family who try to out-hot each other?  They keep a straight face but it’s the beads of perspiration on their foreheads that gives them away.

It’s the modern duel.

Scotch Bonnet peppers at fifty paces.

Not for me, thank you.

I’ll be your second.

Kat August 18, 2010 at 11:58 am

That’s incredible!

KeLLy Ann August 18, 2010 at 1:24 pm

If you ever get the chance, you should visit the Tabasco Plant in Louisiana.

caseyOR August 18, 2010 at 1:51 pm

What kind of pepper is that? Would it be good pickled, do you think? It sure is pretty.

caseyOR August 18, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Google is so handy. I now know that Tabasco Sauce is made with a type of pepper called Tabasco. So, forget the first question in my previous comment. For some reason it never occurred to me that Tabasco was an actual pepper and not just a product name.

Red Icculus August 18, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Tabasco is a really hearty pepper variety. Excessively wet soil can make them bitter. Excessively dry soil can give the peppers a “raspy hot” flavor on the palate. They are a great little prolific pepper.

missourimom62 August 18, 2010 at 6:34 pm

These are beautiful photos! Thanks for something so bright and cheery. Heck, never mind selling the hot sauce…sell your beautiful photos!!

Melissa August 18, 2010 at 7:08 pm

Your plant is beautiful. Way too hot for me. I like bannana peppers. Still pepper plants make some of the prettiest plants in the garden. I just love your photos. Thank you for sharing.

JavaLady August 18, 2010 at 8:38 pm

Mucho Awesomeness !!

Oat Bucket Farm August 18, 2010 at 8:55 pm

A beautiful picture of a beatiful pepper plant. Will you post the recipe you used for making the sauce? We grew Tobasco peppers last year but couldn’t find a recipe to make sauce out of them.

lisa mertins August 18, 2010 at 9:41 pm

ooo. i have one of those he-men. how about your recipe?

Tomato Lady August 18, 2010 at 10:05 pm

lisa and Oat Bucket Farm: Here’s where you can find the recipe: http://www.littlehouseinthesuburbs.com/2009/09/making-homemade-tabasco-sauce.html

Thanks so much guys!

Stacy Hancock August 18, 2010 at 10:59 pm

LOVE IT! My husband and his brothers, not sure they are He-Man Pepper eaters however! They are double dog dare-ya’s…. LOL

Amber August 19, 2010 at 7:06 am

My father eats habaneros at practically every meal. He loves them raw or cooked. He also makes his own mash out of them. Throws em in with some vodka, whirls em in the blender, salt and pepper to taste. He pours it all over food. I have yet to see anyone beat him in a pepper eating contest.

I have been considering growing scotch bonnets in our garden, but we have 4 little ones and yea…. I dont think its too smart right now! 🙂

Corinne August 19, 2010 at 4:06 pm

I love how you “sweat up” the peppers for their pictures! Hunky!

Tammy August 22, 2010 at 4:36 am

What a beautiful plant it is to look at, too! I leave the pepper eating to the He-Man Pepper-Eaters (love that name)