“Organic” Eggs

by Daisy on 10/31/2010

I can’t say the following surprises me, but it does disappoint.

Check out this video report on YouTube, and then take a look at this “Scorecard.”

How does your egg supplier fare?

Kat October 31, 2010 at 1:39 pm

My egg suppliers are middlin’ right now. One isn’t laying at all, the other is hiding them so well I can’t find them, and the other three are taking turns laying an egg a day. We had a staff meeting this morning. I looked ’em all in the eye and told them it would be a long hard winter on us all if they didn’t buck up. So yeah. One egg out of five for the scorecard–literally!

Lynn October 31, 2010 at 3:03 pm

That scorecard doesn’t mean a whole lot to me. A one-egg (“BAD”) rating was received simply by not responding to the questionnaire. If no one responded, the raters don’t KNOW what the conditions are.

Sue October 31, 2010 at 4:07 pm

Maybe they think the quote is “An Egg a day. . . ” instead of An Apple. . .” Ha ha
I have always wondered about Chickens. Having known various people who have done this and reading here and there about them, it seem like it can be tricky at times. I hope they took you talk to heart.

Mary October 31, 2010 at 6:47 pm

It makes me glad that we have our own chickens. I love watching them. I don’t think any egg can compare to one from a chicken that has a chance to eat fresh greens. The yolks are FANTASTIC!

Maria in CT November 1, 2010 at 6:14 am

I’m thankful for my own chickens too. I know exactly what I am getting with my eggs. My personal organic scorecard would not have been perfect, because in the winter, it is difficult at best, if we have a lot of snow, to let them peck the ground or even to let them out of their coop. Also, some weeks I extend the cleaning of the coop a week longer than I should, but I know my ladies have a much happier life than any other chickens. And the way they follow me around……..I know they like me too! Also, five out of five eggs a day isn’t too bad, either. I know it is not going to last too much longer, though! Winter is coming.

Jenn November 1, 2010 at 10:00 am

Thanks for posting this! I was happy to see two highly rated egg producers in my great state of Maine, but sad that they are so faw away from me!

Jenn November 1, 2010 at 10:08 am

*far – oops!

Corinne November 3, 2010 at 11:39 am

Holy Cannoli! Thanks for the egg scorecard! The East Coast REALLY needs to step it up too.

Susan November 3, 2010 at 8:13 pm

My producer(s) fare great! And you can’t get any more local than the back yard 🙂

LaRee November 19, 2010 at 10:10 pm

So I live in a fenced in yard, but if I let the chickens out of the coop for very long they go under the fence to the neighbors yard and poop on their sidewalk. I have a plan to have the holes in the fence fixed by spring but…..The other day 2 of their little (9-12 year old size) boys came over, let my chickens out and shot one with a home made bow and arrow. They ran off with the chicken, I called their parents but haven’t heard from the parents since… the boys, yes way too much. They repeated come let my chickens out then complain because they are in their yard. I’m just about out of ideas. any suggestions?

Tomato Lady November 20, 2010 at 7:37 am

LaRee–I have a lock on my run door and the coop also is lockable, just in case I ever have a problem like yours. Would it be possible for you to find a gate-type lock at the hardware store and a padlock that would secure the coop? It sounds like the parents are either looking the other way, afraid of their own children, or in cahoots with them, so I wouldn’t rely on them too much to do anything. Can you find some salvaged materials and rig something up temporarily to patch the fence until you can fix it in the spring?
I’m so sorry about your hen. How infuriating.

Pauline Larson June 9, 2011 at 10:05 am

Just found this site. I would call the police and prosecutors office in your city and file charges against these boys and their parents. They have committed trespass, vandleism, theft, destruction of property, harrassment- probably a few more offences. Their parents are guilty of all those crimes- plus not supervicing their children. That should get their attention. In addition, you do realise that children who abuse animals, may be abused themselves. Or they may be mentally ill serial killers-in-training!! No matter what kind of lock is on your coop- a lock won’t stop them and someone is in YOUR yard destroying YOUR property. They may decide to come after you in a few years. Now is the time to do something!