Ginseng

by Daisy on 03/21/2011

It was winter.

Like every year, I was beginning to forget what it felt like to be warm.

I was going crazy for something involving dirt, planting, growing.

Anything.

So I planted ginseng.

It was freezing cold, but I warmed up pretty fast hacking back the ivy and clearing out fallen limbs and twigs to make a bed for the ginseng in the woods.  I planted some seeds and some roots.  Then I waited.

And waited.  As soon as the weather began to warm up I started checking for signs of life.  I do a lot of waiting and checking in the Spring.

And then:

The wait paid off.  So far, only the rootlets have come to life.

Still waiting to see if the seeds will sprout.

Now they’ve got to get through the hot summer ahead.

Anyone have experience with ginseng in zone 7?

Granola Girl March 21, 2011 at 1:01 pm

This is slightly off topic, but I think if my older Southern relatives saw that plant growing in our yard they would think we were growing marijana! They are convinced that is what everyone in the Pacific Northwest is all about. No God (they live in the bible belt) and lots of pot!

Tomato Lady March 21, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Granola Girl–HA! See your point. Then when they saw they only grow about a foot tall they would say what terrible gardeners . . .

Cathy March 22, 2011 at 6:52 am

Well, I’ve never planted it and had no idea that plant was ginseng, but I’m in zone 7 and that stuff grows wild in our back yard, so I guess it must do okay! Our temps are over 100 for much of the summer here in SW Oklahoma.

Tamara March 22, 2011 at 8:02 am

Beautiful!!!

Tanya Walton March 23, 2011 at 12:16 am

I have to admit to having no knowledge of ginseng in my country or any zone in the US…looking forward to see how it does over the summer and to see whether any of those seeds germinate!!

monet May 6, 2011 at 6:20 pm

first, let me say how much i’ve loved following your outline of life in the suburbs. your tales are both informative & quite charming!

i’ve been toying with growing ginseng here in alabama, as it grows wild in certain parts of the south.

perhaps you might find this link helpful in your indeavors. http://www.wildgrown.com/

happy homesteading!