Cabbage Novice Seeks Input

by Daisy on 04/27/2011

My first year growing cabbage and I don’t know what to expect.

I planted little seedlings of red cabbage in February and they have grown beautifully since.

I think they are in the “pre-cupping” stage but since I’ve never done this before I don’t know how long it’s supposed to be before they begin to form heads.

What I’m worried about is whether or not it is going to get so hot here before long that they never “cabbage up” and I’m left with bolted nothings.

If they haven’t started to head yet, should I be concerned?

Let’s talk cabbage.

Vege April 27, 2011 at 12:39 pm

I live in Charleston, SC and in March my cabbage where at the stage yours are now. It has been over 80 here during the days and 60’s at night for the past 4 weeks, so I had the same concerns as you. My cabbage has continued to head though, and now I have big, beautiful heads of red cabbage ready to go into some slaw 🙂 I think they will be ok.

Vege April 27, 2011 at 12:41 pm

ugh, sorry “were” not “where” LOL.

Tomato Lady April 27, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Vege–When did you plant your cabbage, and did you plant seeds or plants?

erica April 27, 2011 at 7:55 pm

I’m in Michigan (zone 5) and last year was my first time planting cabbage. I planted plants in late April and they grew through the whole summer. I thought they were a cool weather plant but I ended up harvesting them late September!

Bobbi April 28, 2011 at 7:08 am

My cabbage is not doing much either, (first time growing too). I am not sure it is the right time of year. 🙁 I am in Florida and the days are already getting to the 90’s. 🙁

Melissa April 28, 2011 at 7:16 am

i always tie my cabbage up so they make tighter heads. just loosely. you could experiment with one and see if that helps. i’ve only planted green cabbage and we’ve in different zones so that’s all i can offer on that!

Tanya Walton April 28, 2011 at 7:59 am

I never really bother too much as to whether my cabbages head up…if I want greens I pick them regardless…and if they bolt then I chop the tops off and still eat them. I have had some crops where half has headed nicely and the others not t all …whatever they do they all tastes as good as each other when you’re eating them!!

Melanie April 28, 2011 at 11:57 am

I grew cabbage (green) for the first time last year and got 2 heads from each plant. I live in the Oklahoma Panhandle and so it is very hot but they grew all year and those from then end were as good a the first. I planted plants from the nursery around the 15th of May if I remember correctly.

vege April 28, 2011 at 12:03 pm

I planted seeds, in January. Once they got to the cupping stage, the heads formed within 2-3 weeks.