Ramen Noodle Knitted Dishcloth

by Daisy on 08/02/2011

This pattern is kid-tested.

I don’t mean a child knitted it, or a child washed dishes with it.  I mean it’s easy enough that it can be knitted while kids are tugging on the tail of the knitting, trying to make off with the yarn ball, lying across your lap, and asking repeatedly why they can’t play with the tapestry needle.  Which is a good thing because as hot as it is, this is the time to start Christmas knitting.

It’s worked in a simple (double) moss stitch with a three stitch garter border.

Oh, and the name–when some of you saw this when we featured it during our soap ‘n cloth giveaway you thought it looked like a cake of uncooked ramen noodles.  I had to agree!  Ha!

Yarn: cotton worsted (I used Lily Sugar ‘n Cream natural/ecru)

Needles:  size 6 (or your preferred dishcloth needles)

Cast on 32 sts.

Rows 1-3: Knit all.

Row 4:  K3, *K2, P2, rep from * to last 5 sts., K5.

Row 5:  K 3, *P2, K2, rep from * to last 5 sts, P2, K3.

Row 6:  As row 5.

Row 7:  As row 4.

Repeat rows 4-7, ten times or until desired length.

Knit all three more rows.

Bind off.  Cut yarn.  Sew in ends.

Here it is in red, looking less noodle-y:

Ashley August 2, 2011 at 6:55 am

I was reading the pattern and thinking: why do the instructions sound so familiar yet, the pattern doesn’t look like anything I’ve seen?? Oh duh! It’s like a condensed version of the basketweave pattern! The ecru does look more noodle-y, I’ll have to give this one a shot as I’ve always got some of that yarn hanging around. Great post!

Stitchknit August 2, 2011 at 8:06 am

Love the bit about ‘kid tested’. I call my knitting like this my ‘idiot knitting’. Meaning I can do it no matter what is going on here!

Mary August 2, 2011 at 10:39 am

Any suggestions on where to learn how to knit? I would have to start from the very beginning.

Tomato Lady August 2, 2011 at 11:12 am

Mary–While there are many books with written instructions and lots of youtube videos, I learned by taking a class at my local yarn shop. It was a great experience and I really needed a human to show me and coach me through my first projects. If you can take a class or find a patient friend to show you, that’s my best advice. Many people do learn from books and videos, though, and they are good for when you don’t have the opportunity of having someone to walk you through it. I don’t have a favorite book or video because of the way I learned. I can say that while everybody likes “their” way the best, I learned to knit the continental method–that is, I’m a “picker,” not a “thrower,” and I, naturally, prefer the continental style. I think it’s smoother and there are fewer wasted movements. Everyone has his or her own opinion on the issue, however. Plus, if you take a class or find someone to teach you, you will likely have to learn to knit like they knit. Whichever method you learn, it’s a fun and enriching skill. Let me know how it goes.

Kris B. August 7, 2011 at 9:48 am

Re: Tomato Lady’s comments about learning how to knit. I agree, everyone has a favorite style of knitting. I am just learning, and my mom and sister (both nauseatingly talented knitters) kept telling me that b/c I am left-handed I should learn continental (aka, picking). I kept trying and trying, but it felt so awkward I gave up and started throwing. I agree that it is a bit of wasted movement, but I finally started enjoying knitting when I stopped trying to do it the way they thought I should. So, whichever way you learn, just make sure it’s the way you feel most comfortable. As Steve Martin said: “Let your mind go and your body will follow.”

Love the website, I’ll be back!

Kris B. September 10, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Knitted the ramen noodle dishcloth, I LOVE IT, and I am planning on giving it to my two sons’ teachers for Christmas with a soap dish and homemade olive oil soap…see my comments under Pure Olive Oil Soap.

Wanda September 21, 2011 at 9:00 am

This is really beautiful in the red! And I love the comparison to ramen noodles, something my son loves. Thanks for sharing.

Darlene September 24, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I just love this pattern it was fun to make , thank you for sharing.

SD Miracle October 14, 2011 at 9:29 am

I absolutely love this “Ramen Noodle” pattern because I didn’t really have to concentrate as hard as other patterns. Just discovered your new one, “Andalutheean” and will add it to my growing list of projects. I thank you and can’t wait for more to come! SD Miracle

Athena February 8, 2012 at 5:04 pm

I made this pattern for my mother-in law and we both love it! I think this will be my go-to pattern when I make dishcloths from now on. Thanks!!

Tomato Lady February 8, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Athena–Cool! I’m glad you like it!

Alaina February 26, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Do you have the multiple of stitches thats needed for this? I want to make a larger version of this dishcloth. Thanks.

Tomato Lady February 26, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Alaina–It is in multiples of 4 sts plus two. Happy knitting!

Tomato Lady February 26, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Alaina–4 sts plus 2. Happy knitting!

Chris April 4, 2012 at 8:53 pm

This is the April dishcloth KAL pattern I just joined. I’m making a yellow one. Easy and pretty.

Karen April 5, 2012 at 7:14 am

I just finished knitting this as the April dishcloth KAL too. Thanks for the pattern….it was fun and looks nice.

Judy April 5, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Love this pattern. I am going to help my daughter make some dish cloths to sell at the church Spring Fest. Would it be OK we used some of your patterns? Spring Fest is a fundraiser for the church.

Thanks
Judy

Tomato Lady April 6, 2012 at 5:55 am

Judy–Sure, that would be just fine. Have a good fundraiser!

Michelle January 3, 2013 at 4:30 pm

So, I’m a beginning knitter and I’m doing this pattern and it looks nothing like the picture. I’m getting rows, on both sides. It’s consistent, and kinda pretty, but not this. Is there something I’m missing?

Thanks!

Daisy January 3, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Michelle–When I was just starting, my worst thing was mysterious holes in odd places! And I had no idea how to frog or get back slipped stitches. My friend in this was both youtube and my knitting teacher at the yarn shop. I’m not sure how to help without seeing what you’re doing, but if it’s pretty, you may have invented a nice new stitch pattern! If you have a friend who knits or you can take it by a yarn shop, stand in the middle of the shop and shout “Knitting help, please!” It absolutely works! I wish I could help you more, Michelle!