Knitted Honeycomb Dishcloth #1

by Daisy on 12/13/2012

I think this is a sweet little cloth, perfect for a themed basket of honey-related items.  Tucked into a basket with a beeswax-rich lotion bar or some Clementine Honey Marmalade (recipe in our book, p. 137), or hand-dipped beeswax candles (in the book, too!), it makes a homey gift.

Honeycomb Dishcloth

Yarn: Your favorite dishcloth cotton, like Lily Sugar ‘n Cream, etc.

Needles: I use size 6 or 7 US.

Cast on 31 sts.
Knit all for three rows.
Rows 1, 3 and 5 (WS): K 3, Purl to the last 3 sts. K 3.
Rows 2 and 4: K4, *sl 3 wyif, K1; rep from * to last 3 sts., K3.
Row 6: K5, *insert needle under all the slipped stitch strands below and knit the next st bringing the strands over and off the right needle, K3; rep from *, end last rep K5.
Rows 7, 9 and 11: K3, Purl to the last 3 sts, K3.
Rows 8 and 10: K6, *sl 3 wyif, K1; rep from *, end K5
Row 12: K7, *insert needle under all the slipped stitch strands below and knit the next st bringing the strands over and off the right needle, K3; rep from *, end K4

Rep Rows 1-12 four times.

Knit all for three rows.

Bind off and weave in ends.

Donna December 15, 2012 at 5:58 am

Great pattern for a dishcloth. I will have to make a few of these. Thank you!

diana December 15, 2012 at 7:08 am

I am going to make up a few of these for gifts , love them !! and Thank you for the pattern …

Sue December 15, 2012 at 8:07 am

What does (WS) and wyif mean?

diana December 15, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Sue, WS means , wrong side . wyif means , with yarn in front .

Sue December 15, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Thank you Diana!

Andi Houston December 16, 2012 at 11:12 pm

This makes me want to learn how to knit. How cute!

Teresa Robeson January 1, 2013 at 2:39 pm

THANK YOU for this pattern! Not only do I love it but I have several good friends who are beekeepers and will like to receive this as a gift. I knitted a bunch of wash clothes for presents this Xmas and will need a different pattern for next year so this is perfect.

Daisy January 1, 2013 at 11:37 pm

Teresa Robeson–I’m very glad! Thanks for letting me know!

Jenny January 10, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Would you ever be willing to post a video of how to do row 6? I have tried honeycomb patterns before, and while this one is the clearest yet, I am still having troubles truly understanding what it looks like.

Thanks for the pattern!

Daisy January 10, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Jenny–I don’t know if I have enough hands to do that! Have you searched youtube yet? Maybe someone has already done a video of that.

Camille April 1, 2013 at 10:32 pm

This is such a pretty pattern. It will be on my needles as soon as they are free.

Terry December 23, 2013 at 2:36 pm

Hello!
What does it mean by “insert needle under all the slipped stitch strands below and knit the next st bringing the strands over and off the right needle”? This seems like a fun pattern, and I’m very eager to make it!
Thank you!

Anne September 29, 2014 at 10:35 pm

ThANK YOU for this pattern…love it, makes sense to me.

Daisy September 30, 2014 at 10:18 am

Anne–Very glad, thanks!

Britney November 25, 2014 at 11:25 pm

Thanks for the pattern!
I’m also having a hard time understanding this line:

Could you elaborate just a little?
Thanks again! It’s such a PERFECT pattern! 😀

Daisy November 26, 2014 at 11:15 am

Britney–I’ll give it a try. Once you make it to the line “insert needle . . . etc.” you will notice you have two horizontal bars (the stitches you slipped earlier) below your work. Take the right hand needle and scoop them up, then knit the next stitch in the row you are working (sort of as if those slipped stitches weren’t on your needle). However, as you go to slide that knit stitch off the left hand needle, those slipped stitches seem like they want to travel over and off the right needle. Let them, and complete that knit stitch. It all sort of happens in one fluid movement. It’s not as hard as it sounds. I hope I didn’t confuse you more!

Sarah October 18, 2015 at 6:04 pm

Hi Daisy- I’m excited to begin your wonderful pattern! When you said [to Britney], “scoop them up,” what do you mean exactly? Are you “scooping” knitwise or purlwise? I’m thinking knitwise, but I want to be sure.